Took the Deus to my beaten jewelry patch at a park and decided to relic hunt for deep squeakers instead. There used to be a farmstead on the land and a road bisecting the park...both long gone. Hunting slowly 18khz, 0 discrim, silencer -1, reactivity 3, notch 0-38, I caught a signal nearly at the edge of detection. Two directions two different tones and faint. Pinpointing was difficult wiggling-off. I switched to 8khz, and dropped reactivity to see what's up, something I don't normally do. Loud and clear two directions two different tones...hmmmm?

Stabbing into the soil I'm stopped dead at 1-2 inches by a hard object. Move 90 degrees, damn, same thing. On the fourth stinking try I see a brick and think, I'm not digging that up it'll leave a crater, but the pinpointer is flipping out saying dig. I found another brick below that one and both bricks sat at 45 with the signal coming between them. Stabbing between the bricks with just enough space for my screwdriver it's a wonder I didn't scratch it as I was kind of wildly flicking soil out.

Must have been near 7 to 8 inches and it was on a 45 degree angle.

I didn't even know what it was except United States and a number 2. I knew it was my oldest coin found though. I've hit a few silver dimes and several Indian cents in this unasuming park but never did I think it would give up a coin like that.

I've taken it to a coin dealer and he says it's too worn to ID the variety and to soak it in oil...where it still sits.

Keep on swingin'!

• Like 8

Nice!  Hope your able to further identify it. That 1864 small variety is worth some good money.  Great find either way. 

Bryan

I was really hoping while he took the time to examine it. Maybe it will improve enough by soaking for him to ID. I found out this coin is the first time a reference to God was part of the design on U.S. currency...that's what I read, anyway.

Thanks, and good hunting!

• Like 2

Great find. Which version?

• Like 1

Goldbrick.... from above:  "I've taken it to a coin dealer and he says it's too worn to ID the variety and to soak it in oil...where it still sits. "

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/1/2017 at 1:13 PM, Deft Tones said:
...I've taken it to a coin dealer and he says it's too worn to ID the variety and to soak it in oil...where it still sits...

Nice find, Deft..
Just makin' sure oil = olive oil..
Also note a soak can take 6 months & longer..

Swamp

• Like 2

Thanks. Yes, olive oil is what I have it in. 6 months! Sheesh, I'll peek at it around christmas I guess, lol.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Deft Tones said:

Thanks. Yes, olive oil is what I have it in. 6 months! Sheesh, I'll peek at it around christmas I guess, lol.

LOL & my bad.. I should have said "...up to 6 months & longer.." Depends on what the encrusting agent / mineral(s) is/are and whether it's attacking the object / coin or growing outward upon itself.. Sometimes both happen concurrently.. Also, most concretions don't attack and typically will free up; those objects tend to get damaged when folks try to remove it too quickly.. Once you're past the "standard" non-abrasive cleaning methods and are in the oil trying to save as much collector / numismatic value as possible it just isn't going to be an overnight thing is all..

Both concretions and encrustations will generally slowly dissolve / fall away in the olive oil.. In the case of encrustrations though, one can only hope it's growing upon itself rather than attacking the underlying substance.. Staining is another matter entirely, and I've never seen true staining of metals non-invasively removed..

Swamp

• Like 3