You done a very good job staying after that target.  Sometimes you just have a feeling to keep going.

• Like 1

Does olive oil work on nickel coins (copper-nickel alloys) also?  I found an 1867 Shield with rays a couple weeks ago and it's pretty crusty, having likely been in the ground for over a century.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Does olive oil work on nickel coins (copper-nickel alloys) also?  I found an 1867 Shield with rays a couple weeks ago and it's pretty crusty, having likely been in the ground for over a century.

I don't know if it would help, I assume it would, but it probably will not hurt it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

3 hours ago, Deft Tones said:

I don't know if it would help, I assume it would, but it probably will not hurt it.

What Deft Tones said, with the exception I'll go stronger on any possible downside by saying 'it shouldn't' instead of 'probably will not'.. ( Nickels are a copper-nickel mix of .750 copper & .250 nickel and have remained as such since first minted in 1866.. This is the same mixture / ratio modern day "silver" clad uses over a solid copper core.. )

The main reason I don't know for sure is because one of my side things is "copper" pennies, wheats & memorials 1909 - 1982.. I chase errors: RPMs (repunched mint marks,) doubled dies, off-center strikes, die cracks, etc., etc.. I normally buy bags of loose cents and boxes of rolled cents for this, but have had one nice out-of-the-ground find.. For the most part coins are just other things found while hunting jewelry.. Consequently the only coins I've ever run through olive oil are pennies from this timeframe.. The thought of running anything other than these never even really crossed my mind until a couple months ago.. So right now I have a couple of beach quarters, a brownie & a greenie, about six weeks in -- just to see what happens.. From the looks of them so far it appears they'll be in the soak at least six months.. Will keep y'all posted..

I don't know why, but to me at least long-time beach quarters always seem to end up so much more gnarly than beach dimes and nickels.. Since modern day silver clad and nickels are all of the same composition though, I was figuring how one reacts so will the others.. Now that this thread has come along though I should probably get dimes & nickels going.. Should get inland finds going too..

Here's hoping for your 1867 w/rays.. It's a decent enough $$s item even in rough shape, if your intent is to cut it loose, that is..

Swamp

• Like 4