Snakes Are Out

Was working one of my go to areas in the Southern Calif desert and managed to get 4 little ones for one gram total.

june117.jpg

Just as was packing up my gear I almost stepped on this little guy out for a later afternoon crawl.

• Like 8

They are out Swifty.  Up our way we have Diamondbacks, Bull Snakes, Blue Racers, Garden Snakes and Rubber Boas.  Have seen all but the Boas in the last couple of weeks.  Only the rattlesnakes are a worry though.  Time to start watching where we step and where we place our hands.  Ticks are still out too.  But the lure of nuggets is strong.

• Like 1

How cool is that seeing a rattlesnake.  I don`t suppose I`ll ever see one, I`m on the wrong continent.   I`ve seen a few brown snakes though.   I hope you wear snake guards.    I bought a pair of made in USA guards and I wear them every time I detect. I don`t know about the rattlesnake but I`ve been told the secret to a brown snake bite is, have a beer as quick as you can. Your still gunna die but it`s the last beer you`ll ever have. Only 2 weeks ago a mate of mine took this photo of a sunbaker on the side of the road.
   And nice gold mate. :smile:
 cheers Dave

cip.jpg

https://ibb.co/fWQvyF

• Like 6

One person I know recently went for a week to Rye Patch area to hunt with a group of friends, they setup camp and were off to see what they could find, coming back in the afternoon, they all 3 sat down under the 10x10 shade canopy for a rest, then after a bit they heard this buzzing noise, one guy looked down beside his chair, there was a rattler all coiled up, he had slithered into their canopy shade after they had sat down, spooky. The snake was rapidly dispatched with a .38 and snake load.

• Like 1

My son is a firefighter, had a guy come in the station the other day with a rattler bite to back of the leg. Dude is a flatland er came up to fish some local ponds...in flip flops and shorts!

• Like 1