Monster Getting Banged By At Least One Aussie, Already

I just read one report by an Aussie dissatisfied customer.  What a surprise.  We heard the same things about the initial release of the SDC 2300 and the GPZ 7000.  As I recall our moderator took a fair amount of bashing from his reviews of the previous machines as well. 

For Pete's sake, it's a VLF and in OZ it cannot hope to equal pulse induction in hot ground, nor does it claim to.  It's an entry level machine ostensibly targeting the African gold rush.  Its price point and turn on and go features have a place.

As Steve as said time and again, when considering VLF, there really are no groundbreaking technology innovations available for this platform other than ergonomics and simplicity of use.  I've tried my hand at VLFs over the years and I liked the Gold Bug II for a very narrow purpose, small, shallow gold in relatively quiet ground.  I sold it in favor of the Deus.  I don't think the Deus, at least the 54Khz 9" round, is better than or even equal to the GBII for that purpose, but it is more versatile and I'm sticking with it. 

Get ready for the Minelab bashing to begin. 

• Like 4

VLFs are provided for folks that might not be able to spend a lot of money, hence the bells and whistles...Steve and I both have banged in our share of gold with high and low freq VLFs. Would not trade my pulse for any of them.... Geo

Steve has already said he is going to use a different machine at least 90% of the time.  Good or bad reviews about a 10%er or less if you have 3 machines or more should not be earth shattering.  I've been on the latest is greatest kick for about 5 years now with Minelab but this one is not going in with my 7000, 19, 2300 and 5000!

In retrospect, Steve should probably close this topic.  I don't think any good can come from a topic about "bashing" Minelab, it goes against the grain of this forum.  Keep it real, keep it current and keep it tasteful.  I want to read real world tests without some preconceived notion of the adverse outcome.  My bad!

I think it is a rather 'neat' detector.  I just don't know where I would use it rather than what I already have.

• Like 1

Well I for one won't be taking to much notice of 1 mans negative review of the machine that I do not know and trust, will have mine in a couple of days and put it to the specific reasons I brought it for.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Condor said:

In retrospect, Steve should probably close this topic.  I don't think any good can come from a topic about "bashing" Minelab, it goes against the grain of this forum.  Keep it real, keep it current and keep it tasteful.  I want to read real world tests without some preconceived notion of the adverse outcome.  My bad!

I disagree, everyone is entilted to an opinion and the right to express it. I like the Monster but that dosen't mean every one has to.

• Like 2

The talk by most "in the know" has been that it's going to be great for beginners. Most of the people on these forums are far from beginners. I am purchasing this detector for my 9 year old son. I bought him a 2300, but it is just too heavy for him. This new VLF should be a lot easier for him to use. When he gets stronger, he can use the 2300 more often. This is a very reasonable price for what you get.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, matt said:

The talk by most "in the know" has been that it's going to be great for beginners. Most of the people on these forums are far from beginners. I am purchasing this detector for my 9 year old son. I bought him a 2300, but it is just too heavy for him. This new VLF should be a lot easier for him to use. When he gets stronger, he can use the 2300 more often. This is a very reasonable price for what you get.

Hi Matt I have a 2300 as well that I got not just for me but for my wife as well and its the same problem its a bit heavy for her which is understandable-to me its not that its heavy but very unbalanced so it does wear on you after a while unlike my 5000 which is way better balanced :smile: so when ML introduced this turn on and go beeper thats way lighter and beginner friendly I thought it would be a better fit for her plus Im very curious about it :cool: As far as testers go I really didnt see anything negative about the GM but for a free beeper who knows for sure unless you do it yourself :wink: Mike C...:ph34r:

• Like 1