www.maprika.com

Speaking of old topo's...

I've been using this android app since last year and it works great.

For locating cellar holes from old topo maps it's a dream.

Basically you overlay your topo on a google map, plot some reference points, and the topo is rectified to a modern map with GPS ability. The more reference plots you create the more accurate the rectification. Works with hand drawn maps too. I've ran it at four different sites and it's really very good.

IMO, it's the best thing out there to simplify our searches. Do yourself a favor and try it.

• Like 4

I use Maprika ALOT.  Depending on how precise you want it to be though...must pay attention.  Creeks are generally safer to plot with an intersection with a road, compared to a road/road intersection if there is any chance it has been modified by townships over the years, straightened, etc.  Maprika will really throw off the GPS with mispointed spots, even if you are matching your old map to live Google maps.  When I do my overlays, I start with the creeks, then add road intersections.

In my East Coast area, it helps to utilize www.historicaerials.com as a second reference in time for the area you are mapping to see if those roads have been modified in the past 60 years or so.

If I have major discrepancies, I do two maps for the same spot.  One using historicaerials and one with the original old map.

Nothing cooler than walking in to a spot in the woods that looks just like the rest of the area, turning on the detector and finding old stuff.

• Like 3

Yes. I use bridges as a good plot point as they generally stay the same over time while many creeks/rivers change course badly in my area....plus they were some of the first practical improvements as people settled westward.

We pretty much do it the same way with historicaerials checking changes in features. :cool:

• Like 1