First Impression Of GM1000

I wondered why you flagged 30 targets when I would have dug the first one. FYI most detectors will identify something like a shovel blade as non-ferrous.

My advice is forget the discrimination part, use auto sensitivity, and see if you can find metal with the detector. That is job one - just reliably find metal, any metal.

Or determine whether it is hot rocks that are signaling. If it is not hot rocks or metal but just the machine making random noise, try another location well away from possible power sources. If you can't get a handle on what is beeping and why, contact the person who took your money first, since you purchased their service and support. If that does not work, give the Minelab route a go.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I wondered why you flagged 30 targets when I would have dug the first one. FYI most detectors will identify something like a shovel blade as non-ferrous.

My advice is forget the discrimination part, use auto sensitivity, and see if you can find metal with the detector. That is job one - just reliably find metal, any metal.

Or determine whether it is hot rocks that are signaling. If it is not hot rocks or metal but just the machine making random noise, try another location well away from possible power sources. If you can't get a handle on what is beeping and why, contact the person who took your money first, since you purchased their service and support. If that does not work, give the Minelab route a go.

Thanks Steve for the suggestions there are no power sources where I live except in my cabins that I have hooked up to solar and where I am detecting is quite a distance from my solar finally got Hughes internet out at my property so I will be able to post more often 

last night after I put the GM 1000 together the sun had started going down so I just did a pretty quick hunt just to get the feel of the new detector so I decided to just see what kind of hits I would get with it and just used some flags with wires attached me I have nothing but time out here where I live so I don't get in a hurry to do anything really LOL i am pretty laid back 

I suggest that you take it apart and put it back together...make sure all the connections are tight, batteries correct, etc....sometimes the problem is something simple...hope so! Make sure the cable is not flopping around too.

fred

1 hour ago, DSMITH said:

Well now I am  a little confused and pretty disgusted 

The confusion comes from getting up this morning went out after getting dressed grabbed the GM 1000 started detecting was getting all kinds of signals on the gold chance side of the meter some were pinging the meter and others were 2-3 bars on the gold chance side so I decided to do a little test  well what I found out is the GM 1000 is actually sounding off on everything like it is stuck in all metal and reading everything as gold chance on the meter laid my steel digging shovel down on the ground and passed the coil of the GM 1000 over the shovel and it pegged the gold chance meter on the gold side tried factory reset and it still does the same thing so that is where the disgust comes in I think I may have gotten a defective unit

Can anyone give me any ideas as to what to try next other ,then contacting mine lab 

it does not mater if you have the GM set in all metal mode or discrimination mode it does the same thing in both 

Your shovel is way too big, try a small irregular shaped bit of ferrous metal. A small nail or such.

1 hour ago, fredmason said:

I suggest that you take it apart and put it back together...make sure all the connections are tight, batteries correct, etc....sometimes the problem is something simple...hope so! Make sure the cable is not flopping around too.

fred

Thanks for the suggestions Fred I did re check all connections and batteries everything good there I also took Mr Herschbach suggestions in running with the auto plus and it does seem to make a huge difference with the GM 1000 dug up a few of the spots I marked, and found a small bullet fragment which was about 1/16" wide and about 1/4" long and a couple of small bits of aluminum foil that was rolled up into a ball about the size of a small BB the Aluminum foil was down about 3 inches and the bullet frag about 4-5 inches,  

its a new machine so have to take that into account and learn it just like any other detector,give it some time, over all I am liking what I am seeing,probably did not find those few pieces with the 705 because just maybe I didn't get the coil over them because I have found things similar in material and size with the 705,just goes to show you have to get your coil over things if you expect to find them otherwise you will not. 

• Like 2

one more tip...if you have the option to manually engage noise-cancel...sometimes it is beneficial to retune...and I would put the coil on clear ground to do that...

These are things that work with my other minelab detectors...ctx, gpz, and several others...

fred

22 hours ago, DSMITH said:

Finally received my GM 1000 today from Chris at Arizona Outback great guy vary easy to deal with and always willing to give advise when I speak to him on the phone

Question if you bought this from Chris why wouldnt you post any of this on his forum as well ?Just curious :blink: Mike C...:ph34r:

14 minutes ago, Mike C... said:

Question if you bought this from Chris why wouldnt you post any of this on his forum as well ?Just curious :blink: Mike C...:ph34r:

Well that's a vary good question.

I have been signed up on Arizona Outbacks Forums now for a couple of months now and still to this day I am unable to post anything over there or even look at any of the photos others post it allows me to sign in but that's as far as I can get I can view and read post but no pics or anything when I do try to post or open any links to photos a pop up comes up and reads you do not have permission to so after sending several emails I gave up I even talked to Chris on the phone and made him aware of the issue I was having so I do go over there on that site but i cant post anything so i spend most of my time on this site lurking and reading and occasionally post something.     

1 hour ago, fredmason said:

one more tip...if you have the option to manually engage noise-cancel...sometimes it is beneficial to retune...and I would put the coil on clear ground to do that...

These are things that work with my other minelab detectors...ctx, gpz, and several others...

fred

Fred the noise cancel on the GM 1000 is done automatically when you hit the power button that is the first thing it does if you hit the power button again it powers the GM 1000 down which I have done a few times to allow it to re adjust to the ground unless I am missing something in the really vague instruction paper I do not believe you can do what you are suggesting with out shutting the GM down and turning it back on, like I stated I have done that a few times to let it re tune to the ground 

• Like 1