First Impression Of GM1000

One thing I am really liking about the GM1000 is just how hard it hits on really small bits,have not found any gold so far with it but the pieces of bullet frags and pieces of really Small aluminum I have found tells me that if I ever do get my coil over a piece of gold I will hear it,when you do get over a target and the GM 1000 sounds off it pretty much stops you in your tracks because the sound just about blows your ears off if you have the headphones on, found another pretty large lead bullet from I think a 45-70 pretty good size bullet full bullet down about six inches and it pegged the G meter on the gold chance side but the meter is not what made me stop it was the volume and the sound coming through the headphones that stopped me in my tracks,I have not dug even one piece of iron with the GM 1000,there is no doubt in  my mind that if and when I do ever get the coil over a piece of gold it will see it if it is not to deep

The ground I hunt varies quite a bit as far as ground balance numbers I know this from using the X TERRA 705 I have seen GB numbers in single digits and as high as mid to high 40s and most of the time they were in the low to mid 20s and with the X TERRA from what I understand about it the lower the numbers the hotter the ground but with the GM 1000 you do not have anything that tells you what the GB numbers are but I will tell you the GM seems to run really quiet on every piece of ground I have been over so far

I will try and take a photo of what I have found with the GM 1000 and post them just to show the sizes even though no gold,what impresses me is just how small the bits I have found so far are.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions they are all greatly appreciated   

• Like 4

Here is a photo of some of the things I have been finding just trying to show how small the stuff is no gold yet the larger bullet was down about 6 inches but it was booming in the headphones 

CAM00856.jpg

57 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

What sensitivity settings are you getting away with or are you just using the Auto settings?

kiwijw I did read you blog now a couple of times,great write up by the way currently I am just using the discrimination mode on the GM 1000 and as per Mr Herschbach's suggestions I am running the AUTO + settings 

and no I am not new to detecting just new to Gold detecting, I have been using a X TERRA 705 for about 8 or 9 years now which by the way I do love and have never really felt the need to upgrade by the way, but where I live now and being new to detecting for gold I wanted a higher frequency detector more dedicated to finding gold thus the reason I chose to purchase the GM I have found a bit of the G with the X TERRA but like I said I wanted something a little more sensitive to the yellow stuff, but I didn't want all the knobs and adjustments to deal with so the GM filled that aspect, I wanted a easy to run detector with out all the head aches of adjustments and the GM is just that when I first received it I think I was over thinking it and even posted to my own thread I thought I got a defective unit the over thinking came from the fact that for the past 7-8 years I have been using the same detector the X TERRA 705 which has multiple adjustments and the GM does not,but it is still a learning curve just like any other detector,even if it is a small learning curve LOL

Have only switched to the deep all metal mode once so far just to see if it sounded different then the discrimination mode the deep all metal mode reminded me of the X TERRA in prospecting mode in a lot of ways without the threshold hum if that makes any sense.      

Something else I have noticed about the GM 1000 is it seems to like to be swung pretty fast to me it seems if you swing the GM fast the clearer the target sounds when you get over a target I had to get used to swinging the GM  faster then the X Terra 705 which seemed to like to be swung pretty slow but with the GM 1000 it seems to me that if you swing it seems like double the speed of the X TERRA the targets come in a lot clearer don't know if anyone else has noticed this but that is my observation,pin pointing also is really quite easy every target I have dug has been rite under the center of the 6x10 coil rite at the point where the shaft attaches to the coil just a little ahead of it which also took me a little to figure out as the X TERRA the targets were always rite at the front edge of the toe on the 5x10 coil the more I use the GM 1000 the more I am really loving this machine   

I am waiting for my GM 1000 now. Shipped today :-) 

Any experiences on how it will do on coins/relics in very mild mineralized soil? (Europe). Would be nice it it does a decent job for that purpose as well. 

1 hour ago, Beep&Dig said:

I am waiting for my GM 1000 now. Shipped today :-) 

Any experiences on how it will do on coins/relics in very mild mineralized soil? (Europe). Would be nice it it does a decent job for that purpose as well. 

Well I myself have not tried it on  coins or relics as I purchased it solely for what it was intended so I cannot give you any feed back on what you are wanting it for. I will say this if non ferrous  metals were the only items you are searching for then I think you will like it when the meter says its in the gold chance side I:E (Small aluminum,lead bullets,brass cartridges and things like that) then you can just about bet that's what the target is, I have not dug any targets yet that have showed on the Iron chance side,and I have not dug any gold items yet either but I will tell you this if I ever do get over a piece of gold there is no doubt in my mind the GM 1000 will see it as long as its not to deep and really cant attest as to what to deep is as I have dug up pretty good size spent lead bullets so far as deep as 10 inches with it. and brass casings deeper then that,I actually love the GM 1000  

• Like 1

Thank you DSMITH.

I'm really looking forward to try it. From what I have seen in pictures and videos, I really like it's simplicity. Nothing is better than keeping it simple, if it still does a great job.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beep&Dig said:

Thank you DSMITH.

I'm really looking forward to try it. From what I have seen in pictures and videos, I really like it's simplicity. Nothing is better than keeping it simple, if it still does a great job.

Beep&Dig I will tell you this just do not over think the GM 1000 like I did when I first got it start out in the auto plus settings and just find metal any metal to quote what Mr Herschbach suggested to me and get a feel for it and then once you do have a feel for it play with the different setting i went from a detector with multiple settings to the GM and I was totally over thinking the GM 1000 it is that simple that you can over think it,the GM 1000 is the simplest detector I have ever picked up and used