Another " Which Detector " Question From A Newbie....

If looking for a good PI machine on a budget, the Tesoro Sand Shark has done me good on rings in wet beach sand (and underwater) However it should be considered a "dedicated" beach machine though and not really suited for nugget shooting.

Another reasonably priced PI for prospecting is the Whites TDI SL, the nuggets it has found me over the years have paid for the detector 5X over

Looking for gold in trashy tailing piles, my Fisher F19 has also done a great job.

Good luck!

Rob

• Like 2

Hey Prospector!  I was actually just looking at the TDI!  Have you ever tried it on a salt water beach?  Now hubby is saying no way/no how is there going to be room for 3 different detectors in that toy hauler.  I suggested that he take a chill pill and a nap.

Steve, I think you're right about that Gold Bug 2.

Well, it's a beautiful day here in Central Florida.  I think I'll go on down to Paradise Beach and dig some pull tabs!

I would be far more inclined to the TDI as a PI option than the Infinium even though the Infinium is waterproof. The coil options alone make it the more attractive alternative, plus you can get one with a warranty. Now that the Infinium has been discontinued used and no warranty is the only option. Unless a dealer has one hiding on a shelf still. A DFX / TDI pairing has possibilities as compared to the DFX / GB2. The Bug is going to do better with small gold but the TDI will handle bad ground better plus be a more useful beach machine. The TDI is a great beach detector, especially since it offers a "ground balance off" mode that offers extra power for beach detecting.

• Like 1

Hi MontAmmie,

I recommend the TDI Pro, which you can find used. I run one myself for relic hunting and to go after ancient coins. If you get a folded mono coil for the TDI you will have a killer machine which fits your wallet. I would sell you mine but it is modded and customized and will not meet your $ limit. But check ebay once in a while you will find a TDI Pro for a good price.

20170421_173317.jpg

2 hours ago, MontAmmie said:

Hey Prospector!  I was actually just looking at the TDI!  Have you ever tried it on a salt water beach?  Now hubby is saying no way/no how is there going to be room for 3 different detectors in that toy hauler.  I suggested that he take a chill pill and a nap.

Steve, I think you're right about that Gold Bug 2.

Well, it's a beautiful day here in Central Florida.  I think I'll go on down to Paradise Beach and dig some pull tabs!

Unfortunately, the TDI series isn't even "splash proof" let alone water proof and this I learned the hard way, let me explain. For several months I was taking my TDI to the beach and all seemed well as I was very careful to stay above the water line. Then the detector started having issues with static and stability. So sent it off to Whites and several days later got a call from the Tec with the bad news. The circuit board was corroded and even a couple of pots (knobs) were shot. He asked if I had dropped it in water and I replied no, but had been using it a lot at the beach and many of those days it had been over-cast and somewhat damp. Well that did it alright , expensive lesson learned (about a $400 repair) so I bought a Sand Shark which has worked quite well for this type of detecting and  also considering buying an ATX for my next shoreline detector.

Until White's makes a waterproof housing for it, there will be no more "days on the beach" for my TDI

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hard Prospector said:

Unfortunately, the TDI series isn't even "splash proof" let alone water proof and this I learned the hard way, let me explain. For several months I was taking my TDI to the beach and all seemed well as I was very careful to stay above the water line. Then the detector started having issues with static and stability. So sent it off to Whites and several days later got a call from the Tec with the bad news. The circuit board was corroded and even a couple of pots (knobs) were shot. He asked if I had dropped it in water and I replied no, but had been using it a lot at the beach and many of those days it had been over-cast and somewhat damp. Well that did it alright , expensive lesson learned (about a $400 repair) so I bought a Sand Shark which has worked quite well for this type of detecting and  also considering buying an ATX for my next shoreline detector.

Until White's makes a waterproof housing for it, there will be no more "days on the beach" for my TDI

Nooooo!  I thought I had the problem solved and had started shopping for a TDI.  I guess I really need a waterproof detector. I almost drowned the DFX today.  (Knee-deep + big wave).  That nice deep trough between the waterline and the coquina rock is just sooooo tempting!  I'll have a look at the Sand Shark....

• Like 3

What about a used Minelab Excal 2 ?

4 hours ago, FschJg said:

What about a used Minelab Excal 2 ?

And the winner is....the Garrett Infinium.  It seems to be the only one that will do most of the things I need it to do reasonably well.  And it's waterproof, which is a huge plus for me.  Of course, when I find Cortez's other boot, I'll be adding a an Excal and a TDI to the arsenal.  Hubby can just mount me some brackets on the walls of the toy hauler. :biggrin:

Guys, thanks soooooo much for helping me, especially Steve.  This is truly a great community and I look forward to interacting with you-all for many years to come.

• Like 1

I am afraid you will have to get 2 machines, the one for beach/surf hunting and a gold machine. Don't disregard the TDI Pro for prospecting. It is a great machine for the money. I am not sure if I would buy the SL, I would rather get a used Pro.

But who knows, you might find a couple of rings and Rolex watches at the beach and it will pay for a ML Pi machine ;-) Anyways good luck and happy hunting.

7 hours ago, FschJg said:

I am afraid you will have to get 2 machines, the one for beach/surf hunting and a gold machine. Don't disregard the TDI Pro for prospecting. It is a great machine for the money. I am not sure if I would buy the SL, I would rather get a used Pro.

But who knows, you might find a couple of rings and Rolex watches at the beach and it will pay for a ML Pi machine ;-) Anyways good luck and happy hunting.

We're staying here in Florida this summer while Hubby gets a new knee replacement from the VA (long story), so nugget shooting in Montana is going to have to wait until next summer. By the time he gets done with re-hab it will be too late to go this year.  Did I mention that Montana has 2 seasons? July and wintertime.  

I guess I really just need a beach entertainment/weight loss program for the next few months.  I figure a waterproof PI machine will be just the ticket for that and I've always wanted to try one. Maybe a Garrett Sea Hunter or a Sand Shark would serve just as well for that purpose?  I'll try to get a used one on Ebay, so if I hate it I can re-sell it and I won't lose much. I still definitely want a TDI, but used ones don't seem to come up very often on Ebay.  And there's still the fact that I'm not sure if there really is gold left to be found in Montana.  Maybe hubby is right about it all being gone. Maybe I need to do some panning first and find out before I invest in an expensive gold detector.  I panned some last year, but I was totally clueless on where/how to look. Trying to remedy that situation while we're stuck here.  I did find some dust in Alder Gulch.

Thanks Fs and good luck to you too!  I've never used anything except a Garrett 150 and my DFX, so I really value your input!