Question - PI Vs VLF

Can someone please explain the differences in a PI machine and a VLF machine in layman's terms or point me in a direction on the site if it has already been posted up some where 

just trying to learn

Thanks Fred I did try to do a search in the search bar but it just kept coming up with the GPZ 7000and SD2300

OK DS. Here goes. In my lay(ze)mans terms. Detectors are just two way radios. They broadcast  and receive through their antenna, called the search coil. When detectors transmit a radio signal into a conductive object (for me typically a square nail) that object will develop a brief energy field around it (induction). When the field fades away the detector is able to receive that "collapse" and convert it to an audible signal. For the transmitted signal to penetrate dense material (the ground) it must be sent at a very low frequency-V.L.F. A PI detector sends out it's signal in pulses so that the induced field from slightly conductive stuff, like mineralized ground, goes away before the receiver can pick it up. This allows for easier use in "hot" ground and greater depth at the expense of sensitivity to itsy bitsy stuff and no discrimination. A VLF detector doesn't transmit in pulses which enables it to guess at an objects conductivity which gives it the ability to fairly accurately discriminate and makes it more able to respond to teensy weensy targets at the expense of depth and the ability to work hot ground.

Now the GPZ 7000 came out when Minelab found one in a crashed flying saucer in the Australian desert and reverse engineered it. So even they don't quite know how the darned thing works.

FM has the best suggestion- get your information in the archives from those who know what they're talking about.

Hope this helps.

• Like 8

21 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

went to link and it made it a lot clearer now thanks everyone that responded appreciate it don't quite believe Klunker's explanation about the aliens though LOL but you never know I have heard and seen somethings out here where I live that I cant explain so you never know

• Like 1