Gold Monster Shaft Too Long For Me

I stand about 6 feet but the GM 1000 shaft is just too long. So this is what I done to make it right for me only.

I first put the shaft together then put the large coil on.

Then I slip the control head on and found if I put it just past the end shaft where the middle starts is just right for me. I then slip the arm rest where I wanted but this leaves the shaft hitting me when I swing my detector. I took it and cut off 5 1/2 inches. this still leaves 2 inches behind the arm rest.

You can now unscrew  the end shaft with arm rest from the other. You now have the control head with the coil on two parts of the shaft and the other with the arm rest. When you screw them back together you may have to adjust the arm rest a little.

You will find the longest part with the head and coil is 36 inches. I buy gun cases for my metal detectors and most are 38" if not longer with three big pockets on one side. The cost runs about 79.but can get them on sale for 49-59.

Be sure this will work for you before you make a cut.

Chuck

PS The end shaft is aluminum and you can knock the plastic plug out after you cut the shaft to put it in the other.

• Like 3

Steve

This why I said this is for me and to be sure this is what you want before you make a cut.

I don't plan on selling this detector.

I checked my other detectors how I have them set up and all fall in about the same length as the GM does.

Chuck 

Steve 

i understand that was what you were doing and i'm glad you did. I could have used a broom handle but I wanted to be able to unscrew the arm rest from the other. By doing this I knew it would fit in the gun case I wanted.

Chuck

Chuck,

The shaft is not too long.  

Your arms are too long!  (As they say in basketball, you have 'length.')  :cool:

Mitchel

Guys 

You really shouldn't make fun of a guy that his knuckles drag the ground. You're not only making fun of me but of my mother too.

Have a good evening.haha

Chuck

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Steve, the gpx shaft is a good alternate, but i checked mine out with one of the gm 1000 coils and the yoke of the gpx shaft does fit between the coil ears, but the gm coil bolt is a larger size diameter then the hole in the gpx shaft. I guess you could use a smaller diameter bolt and use a wingnut to mount to the gpx shaft.  For my partner the gm is also too long. We adjusted it to fit like chuck did. It has about 6-7 inches of shaft past the arm cuff. But she holds her arm cuff next to her side anyway so the xtra shaft didnt bother her. Only chuck. 

Good Day All,  I had extra shafts, upper and lower for my 4500 and they work great and are adjustable and no extra cost.  I did not drill out the hole on the lower shaft just turned it in like if it had threads-did not hurt the threads.....IdahoAl

• Like 1