Something New In The World Of PI Detectors?

Steve has been in the forefront of calling for lightweight PI detectors with decent depth and perhaps even - up to now mostly unavailable - discrimination.

Maybe there is one more "pulse" in that direction now.  First Texas has hired Alexandre Tatar - a French Physicist and electronics designer.  Alexandre is an avid detectorist of long standing who has began years ago to study and develop PI detectors.  He brought one such platform to prototype stage, but after having earlier failed to make a commercial launch of an original design, he has apparently been head-hunted by First Texas.

here's a google translate version of a document he posted a while back on the "Manta" website.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4kCFdZrzI4kdXU1aTQzdjBqNUk

who knowa if this can go beyond slimming down and improving exsisting platforms - time will tell.

Here's what Carl Moreland of FT posted about it on another website

"Yes, we've hired Alexandre. Yes, we are working on PI. I was personally working on PI before hiring Alexandre, but now we are seriouslyworking on PI. smiling smiley Sorry, cain't say much more about that, and cain't offer up any ETA's, mostly cause I don't know myself."

• Like 4

It is far from being a market-ready product and even as a product it may be far from a revolution in beach detecting - not to mention whether it has any "prospects" of being turned into a nugget hunter.

Having said that, it's refreshing for one of the "majors" to more or less publically announce a new line of development.

as Bob Dylan once sang "....time will tell who has fell, and who'se been left behind..."

Competition is a positive thing.

I'm extremely interested in this.

I know and use the TDI and in some areas it will well excel all VLF machines on the market, or rather all I've tried.  The one thing that I've always wanted in the discrimination abilities added to the machine.  The GB can be adjusted to help to some degree, but it fails on the nails buried for decades.  I've found some really nice silver coins and my must expensive gold finds have been in areas that shut down VLF machines like the F75, F19, V3i, DFX, Etrac, and CTX 3030 just to name a few.

If the (futuristic) machine performs like the one posted earlier this year on the sited, I'd have to sell all my detectors and acquire one. 

Since Carl made that statement, I'm sure, at least part of the rumors we've heard will come to pass.

I may invest when they will be out  !!!!!I got one of his most twisted Eric Foster PI G5c from the postman last week while I was on a road trip on the coast with the CTX,so I cant wait to try it...............................my only worry is once those machine will be out and after 2/3 years what will be left on the beaches...................more detectorist ,less loss and better machine= less finds but anyway result is the name of the game.

RR

• Like 1

This is the guy and the project (Manta) which FT "aquihired"

Here is a beach test video of a late Manta prototype. The narration is French of course.  It's pretty easy to follow however.

This machine is for the beach and may not prove adaptable for terrestrial use, but still....maybe a start.

They run it in all metal, then in a "double blip" iron discriminate mode which they call multitone, then in a silent discriminate iron entirely mode.  

The black sand is from Le Reunion island in the Indian Ocean and Fuertaventura in the Canaries.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G8sdp4RG73g&feature=youtu.be