Question On Bunk's Hermit Pick

I need a pick and have been looking at Bunks Hermit Pick this thing looks like a beast and heavy does anyone have any experience with the hermit pick the good the bad or the ugly.

IMG_1178.PNG

I love my hermit pick!  I have the medium size for most things and the Big one for heavy duty digging.

Bill Southern carries them-I think. And Bunk had a website...or has...

I carry mine on my hip and slightly behind, otherwise the swing to the left picks up the pick using my GPZ-14. The corners are very sharp, as is the point. I have had mine forever...I did take the handle out and reinstall it to remove the wobble...it is not a pry-bar!

Oh, the hoe side can sling-shot debris right back at you if you try prying bedrock with the corners...

The best all-round pick ever for my uses.

fred

• Like 6

Thanks Fred I spoke to the owner of Bunks and he confirmed he is still making them and selling them

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fredmason said:

..it is not a pry-bar!

I have some areas I have hit with the GM 1000 that I am getting reading on the gold chance side of the meter on the GM and when I try to dig I get down about 3 inches and hit a calechi (not even sure if that's how you spell that) but that's what I want it for no prying  got pry bars for that task

I have one and it is a great pick.  Like the big scoop end for moving dirt out of the hole, AND back in the hole.  Works great on those "fake" targets where you dig and dig and then the signal just disappears.  I know the signal should get better the closer you get to the target, but I just can't resist going down a few more inches, then another few inches, then you are swearing into a big hole.  Hermit pick-good for moving dirt.  

• Like 6

hawkeye been there and done that

just one more thing, DS...I would grind the real sharp corners off the scoop and the pick...just round them off. It will still hurt if you fall on it, but, it might not slice into your side...

of course, not falling is the best option.

fred

This pick was designed by a man who went by the handle of joeforthegold. Bunk makes it now and both gents do a great job manufacturing them. It is an outstanding pick with tremendous power and relatively light weight. For desert prospecting it can't be beat - opinion of course. For heavy hardpacked soil and rock you may need to augment that pick with a heavier brand, but overall it is one of the very best.

• Like 2

I bought two of these picks from Bunk.  One I left on his claim and never saw it again (small one) and another I 'lost' then 'found' then gave it away to the finder.

I'll get another one one day but right now I have several picks.

As was mentioned, the scoop works great.  You can lift the dirt out of the hole and place it on the side and your hole won't fill back in until you are ready.  That is a big plus.

The pick I use now is a Leland pick with a much smaller head on a long handle that lets me dig without bending over very much.  It is also a long distance from the Zed coil because I can't put it on a belt and don't want to but if you use two hands for the Zed ... you have to put the pick down and use it for a reference point.

Not everyone's style but that is what I do now.

Mitchel