Garrett AT Max Delayed Until September?

According to several threads at Findmall the AT Max is not available and could be as late as September. I have to say I was a little surprised to find out Garrett has also joined the "announce way before ready" club. Quite a few other people appear to be surprised as orders were placed thinking the machine would be available soon. Those orders are now getting canceled by at least a few people.

• Like 2

I wonder if it has something to do with there being no "volume adjust" on many of the AT Max pictures provided by dealers.  Look at some of the newer pics, and "volume adjust" now appears where "frequency adjust" used to be (above the sensitivity button). Whether this is for adjusting overall volume vs iron audio volume, not really sure.  I know there were a few complaints from AT Pro users on the fact that you could still not adjust the iron audio volume as on many other current VLF detectors.

Whilst some are speculating that the "frequency adjust" version only appears on prototypes shown on You Tube and elsewhere, still doesn't explain why dealers have this version pictured for taking pre-orders.  Go to the Garrett website, and the AT Max faceplate is completely different - new Z-link labelling, the backlight control has moved from Elim to Iron Audio, and Elim is now labelled as Freq.

Are they altering features on the run, based off forum feedback??

I was excited about the AT Max until I saw the operating frequency.  13 kHz needs extra attention to deal with EMI.  Hopefully they are changing it back to the ATPro's 15 kHz.

I can hope anyway.  I'd look at it again if they did.   As of now its dead on arrival in my book.

HH
Mike

• Like 1

I agree totally Mike, that frequency seems to be plagued by EMI regardless of the maker.

Official word from Garrett...

"Final field testing and customer input on the AT Max metal detector revealed some opportunities that Garrett engineers are taking the time to implement. These updates include the addition of a built-in volume adjustment feature, allowing control of the detector volume when operated without headphones. (See illustration on the following page of the revamped AT Max control panel.)

Due to these updates on the AT Max, current plans are to begin shipping in August. We apologize for the brief delay, but believe that the results will be appreciated by our loyal AT customers."

IMG_0461.JPGIMG_0462.JPG

• Like 1

I think it's good they are taking the time to tweak it.

Kinda feel bad for the dealers who took preorders so early, but at least they can offer an MX Sport to those who don't want the summer to slip away before getting a new detector.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I sure have not forgotten the BAD start of the original AT Pro !!!   Having to send them back to Garrett cause so many were BAD right from the start.Heck, it cost me almost $200 cause I didn't get mine back in time before the special offer had expired.

Guess I should have screamed for the Garrett Service manager instead of taking it on the chin from the little old lady at Garrett customer service ? She did manage to knock 50 bucks off the needed work after I vented my wrath.. Hmm, it was BAD control box, bad coil, bad connectors....all courtesy of the Garrett factory...not my fault in the least..

It works perfect nowadays, thank goodness. Am still wondering if can use my old blue Infinium headphones on the AT Pro since they are waterproof?