Thoughts, Deus 9" Hf Vs Gm 1000?

I am getting a little impatient waiting for the Deus elipitical as summer starts and I find myself wanting to explore more with some discrimination while still being sensitive for tiny gold. By tiny I mean the small stuff I'm missing with the gpz, but big enough to see with my old man vision...not flakes I'd need tweezers to collect. I have the Deus with 11", so going down to a 9" coil would be great improvement in the feel of the detector, also I've been using it for a year now and am beginning to understand it a little. The reports on the 9" hf have been good as have the reports on the GM1000. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to how they might compair? Do I keep waiting with still no firm release date? Is it technical issues or marketing strategy delaying the release? I'm planning a drive to Colorado the end of next month and was going to bring the Deus with a hf coil, now I'm beginning to wonder if I wouldn't be better off with the GM?

As Steve and others have pointed out, the GM is really a turn on and go.  Obviously, it's fully capable of finding small gold.  The XP Deus has a multitude of adjustments that I'm just now learning, but I'm quite confident it will keep up with the GM in the hands of a knowledgeable user, especially after the new elliptical coil arrives.  I just don't think it will be the machine for a casual user who doesn't take the time to learn its various and, at first glance, complicated options.   My testing a couple weeks ago with a .25 gram nugget really opened my eyes to the Deus possibilities.  Way more performance tweeks to be explored.

Naturally, I've got my share of confirmation bias since I already own the Deus and really want to believe in it.  It's not my primary detector, but I'm anxious to work with those tweeks and squeeze some more performance out of it. 

It's all in what you want out of your secondary detector.  Ease of use, pick it up and go with confidence that you're getting a good share of the detectable small gold, then the GM is the answer.  If you're like me and need to fiddle with stuff thinking you're improving your odds, then the machine with more user control options makes sense.  The key selling point for me was the packability of the Deus.  I want to collapse that machine and stick it in my backpack just in case I run into small gold terrain while running my main machine the GPZ.

• Like 5

Thanks Condor, I think the 9" hf option may be better as an all around hunter anyway and when the elipitical shows up, if it's that much better then I will consider getting it, or the GM as it would be best as a loaner for a friend with no experience to hunt with. Called Rob and ordered the 9" hf and new pin pointer should have them in a couple of days.

• Like 3

you are certainly right re the various layers of the deus...the online video tutorials are great for continual learning. i look forward to some reports on the new coil:)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Giddiup said:

you are certainly right re the various layers of the deus...the online video tutorials are great for continual learning. i look forward to some reports on the new coil:)

Condors reports are very encouraging I'm really looking forward to trying it and even though I don't have anywhere near his experience or skills, will give feedback as best I can. The high frequency coil is the reason I bought the Deus in the first place be natural to pull the trigger now on the round coil instead of wasting more time, only thing is last minute plans are moving my next trip up a little so the high frequency coil will have to sit at UPS and I won't get to try it until next time up...guess I'll have to schedule another hunting trip soon, Oh darn.

• Like 1