Rude People On The Beach Rant

On 6/30/2017 at 6:04 PM, deutran said:

Hi Montammie

I have experienced many instances of harassment over the years whilst beach detecting but also many great times.I've had young thugs throwing beer bottles at me,Someone called the police on me one night and told them I was swinging a shotgun.I had a guy run up and grab the detector shaft and start swinging it wildly in front of his mates.But the many nice people far outweighed any issues.Most people showed interest in the hobby or when explained understood the pastime.

Since moving to the goldfields over 7 years its been sweet sailing as there are many like minded people to meet.

Was this in California?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deutran said:

In NSW Australia's south coast

Wow, I thought all Aussies were civilized folks.  I guess you have a few crackpots no matter where you go.

I usually point to my headphones and try to make them think I cannot hear anything they say.

Altho once, a large teen boy trying to impress his girlfriend, about did me in at one swim area. Some local adults saw what was about to happen and chased the kid off. I've never had a stranger come to my rescue before. I guess there are some good people still out there.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I love the ones that ask me if my detector is water proof when im in the water,,, People are mostly friendly but after awhile answering the same questions over and over gets to much, i then take my mask and snorkel and stick my ed under watr to get away from it all.

• Like 2

I seem to attract the attention of every kid on the beach.  Their mommas have probably drilled into their heads to stay away from men they don't know (as did I). They've seen people with detectors on the beach, have a zillion questions about them and an older lady that looks alot like grandma is fair game!

• 2 months later...

Man, the pictures I saw of the New Jersey Wildwood beach on the news last night....sand removed about 6feet depth from the dunes, etc...I would be tempted to be rude there if I just had a wet beach detector right now....amazing how much sand is gone from there, and they havent even had one of these hurricanes go through yet.

• Like 1