QED Field Test Report

"Righto, this is based on my last 4 or 5 trips combined. Today was the 2nd time I've been able have 2 QED,s on the ground as well as a GPX 4500 and a souped up GP 3000 to compare."

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=341762#p341762

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=341951#p341951

QED Thread On This Forum

Been observing QED topics for a while now since I lost heart the way the monster is behaving in hot ground.

Davent seems to be the only one having major problems with EMI and hot ground? Well his unit works in his back yard so I find EMI isn't his problem and I assume it's probably that evo coil on hot ground or atleast a strange mix of mineralization up that way that people have been battling with for years, maybe a normal mono winding such as the good old 11 commander might be worth trying rather than that EVO coil that are noisey even in VIC over hot ground on the GPX.

well I couldn't help the QED bagging on other forums and you know what? anyone without one can't really comment at all can they?  So I purchased one because they are so dam cheep!

This thing is 1/4 of the weight and size of even the TDI pro so guess what just got kicked under the bed? After I pinched the carbon shaft first of course...

IMG_6400.JPG

I think the EMI Davent is having trouble with is different to suburban mains EMI i.e. from what I can gather the QED is set up to remove 2 phase 50Hz mains EMI that's why they work well in backyards. The EMI Davent is experiencing is away from suburban mains & from his posts he has been near a mine (possible 3 phase source) + northern Australia is an atmospheric EMI hotspot!  His detecting mate also experienced EMI on his QED too while two other Minelab machines had no problems? Others have posted a "pulsing" near airfields also so it's not isolated to one user - I also know that Davent is quite aware of what EMI noise is & what ground noise is. He's covered & conquered that issue previously.

The EVO's can handle hot ground with the right settings (people having issues are usually trying to run them at too higher gain) & Davent can attest to that after initial problems with his GPX & the EVO's which from his reports he now has sorted well.

Be interesting to hear how you get on with the QED in comparison to the TDI Luke. How long have you had it? I'm waiting for the new version + tax return then I'm getting one to try.

Matt,

the QED I just purchased replaces the TDI pro I just kicked under the bed and I might give it away yet.

for me... the QED will be just the ticket, and I can't wait to go back to more than a few spots.

The new version only consists of new updates that can be done on the first version, a GB check button with a new face plate and button arrangement.

More than happy with the current model I feel it's a little more compact. 

Thought you would get a gold monster Matt? What's with that?

Steve'

to be honest the TDI pro has been a fantastic machine for many years but it's started getting a bit boring... I even started spending more time pulling them apart, Iv also had many different detectors the same time Iv owned many TDI's and the TDI was just more suitable for the type of Detecting I have and had time for.

Then the QED started to tick all the boxes, lighter than the TDI, more power than the TDI, Sounds like the TDI? Actually cost me less to buy than my very first TDI not to mention similar operating characteristics.... nar probably not' it's a whole new machine ?

I wanted one before I bought the TDI and now I get to have one.

• Like 1

Part of the problem in Australia is you blokes pay such outrageously high prices for detectors. I would blame it on importing but you even pay more for Minelab models. The bottom line is that it makes machines like the TDI that are quite inexpensive in the U.S. far less competitive in Australia. The TDI SL is going for only US$989 right now in the U.S. whereas it is AUS$1985 in Australia!

Steve' 

There is heaps of options in reguards to  Detector technology here in Australia 70% of prospectors that "require" a detector probably don't need to spend more than a few Grand on a unit maybe less, some require spending $10,000 plus $2000 worth of assesories.

iv never required the worlds most expencive detector to wander around the bush whistling a tune, but iv got a few buddy's that do...

im able to get the most from a machine that probably equals the least experienced with the top of the range, iv got no need to keep flipping detectors for bigger and better plastic fantastic's out there im limited to good Detecting time as it is.

Affordable, ergonomics and performance all the way.

• Like 2

So... getting back to the original topic,

Flat or spiral wound coils in severe ground equals: higher mode settings which will then lead to higher EMI problems.

must admit tho in mild ground it will make a nice coil choice for a broader range of target size, wouldn't be my choice of coil to use most the areas I find gold.

IMG_6409.PNG

Yeah ya might be onto something there Luke. The spiral wrap coils were made more for the GPX so probably no surprise he had better results noise wise with it over the QED.

I'll know soon enough. My QED is on the way including a Detech spiral coil. It has the mode & SMR (EMI rejection adjustment) upgrades already so hopefully that has it sorted anyway. The more I read about the QED the more I think those now "redundant" :rolleyes: NF Advantage coils may be a good choice at a nice price.