I had about 30 min to kill between calls on Friday so I decided to hit a park close to the next appointment.  This park I had written off about a year ago as a target poor environment. It's  very small and isolated. So I'm detecting along and see a couple trees in the back that I did not get to last time I was here. I got the Coiltek small elliptical coil on the CTX. As I get near the trees I pick up a couple pennies. Next I get an iffy target but it's reading off and on in the quarter range on the CTX. There is another penny  a couple inches away I can tell. So I dig about 5 inches down and out plops this 1925 Peace Dollar!.... WTF?  Gotta be a fluke I'm thinking...some kid stole his grand parents stash and lost it in the park.  I'm tickled pink but I would have rather found in all the old home sites I've walked hundreds of miles searching lol. While detecting I noticed that I was hearing lots of deep iffy targets and I had pulled out a couple of old twisted metal objects which indicated Old Dirt.  

I got home around 5pm and got on the computer and went to Google earth. Clicked Historical  imaging and saw that the area was an old homesite. The park has been untouched all these years. Looking at the old historical imagery it almost appears that there was an old baseball field due to the triangular shape.  So I told Lisa I'll see you in a couple hours lol.  Not many targets so I dig everything that hits good and not long into the hunt I pull out this intact pocket watch. I don't know what I like better the watch of the peace dollar. Most of the watches I get are in pieces so this one is the first one thats totally intact and in fairly decent shape. Hit the spot again today and got some old spoons etc....but no more old coins. HH out there!  And the ring is fake btw...

strick 

20170629_201321.jpg

20170629_160739.jpg

20170701_212359.jpg

20170701_212347.jpg

20170629_194556.jpg

20170630_195524.jpg

20170630_200719.jpg

20170701_090045.jpg

20170701_090142.jpg

20170701_090154.jpg

20170701_171620.jpg

• Like 9

Let me be the first to congratulate you on finding the peace dollar. This find will go down in your personal record book I'm sure. I enjoyed the pictures and the story.

• Like 2

Excellent hunt.............:smile:

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Fiding the silver dollar seems very rare...I don't see many posted. I'm sure it was missed because of its close proximity to the Penney's. Good to use a small coil now and then I guess. There are times when I think the small stock coil 6" hits deeper than the coiltex elliptical?

Strick

• Like 1

While elliptical coils seem all the rage and certainly do have their place it is hard to beat the old concentric design overall....JMHO

• Like 1

Awesome silver dollar, Strick!  What's the pocket watch made of?  Did you get it open yet?

• Like 1

The watch is brass I believe...If it were gold or silver I might try to work on getting it opened but I don't want to break the only intact watch I've ever found lol... So it will sit as is....Thanks for looking

strick

• Like 1