Mxt All Pro Gold Coil

Hi All

I'm just wondering what the best Mxt Coil is for Very Small nuggets/pickers. I currently have the stock 10dd the 6x10 eclipse coil and the 5.3 eclipse coil but I'm not sure if there's a better one out there is more dedicated for gold?.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum!

You are pretty well set. There are not coils made that are "dedicated" to gold. Normally however the 6" x 10" DD would be considered the best all around nugget hunting coil for the MXT, with the 4" x 6" DD having better performance on smaller bits of gold. The 5.3 Eclipse will do just as well as the 4" x 6" DD but being a concentric coil it will fare best in milder ground. If you have more mineralized ground and do a lot of prospecting the 4" x 6" DD might be worth your while.

whites-eclipse-searchcoils-for-mxt-dfx-v3i.jpg

• Like 3

Ok thanks Steve I appreciate your advice and might look into the 4x6 coil then.

Thanks again

Yep I agree, The hottest coil for tiny bits is the 5.3 and in mild ground it can rival the 6x10 in terms of depth, On tiny bits what the 4x6 can see at 1 inch the 5.3 can see at 2 to 3 inches, In shallow rocky ground where the mineralization is not very high it will pick out the tiniest of pieces,, Back about 2 or 3 years ago I all but begged Whites to make one for the GMT and then late last year they released one, I think that the small concentrics are what makes the GB II such a great machine on fine Gold,

John.

• Like 3

Hi John

How it going mate? Yes I'll just have to put in a bit more time then, I want out the other week for gold with another fellow forum member "Northeast" he was swinging a Z and a GM 1000, and his exact words were that it sounded like a flock of geese were flying overhead LMAO, I should've spent more time trying to set the machine up for the ground we were in but due to my interest in his new GM 1000 I was in a bit of a rush and everything in the ground sounded the same! I was running it in prospecting mode gain right up in the + and also up in the sat area, hot rocks, iron and ground noise were all sounding very similar I just couldn't distinguish much difference between everything. The ground was at 58% iron level, so kept scratching around for awhile then went over and watched the GM 1000 in action and absolutely love the discrimination on it seemed to work quite well, then was absolutely wrapped as he let me have a run with it for about 1-2 hours and was blown away by how small of bits of lead it was picking up and then to my surprise I picked up a tiny nugget/picker and I mean Tiny!!, He's a top bloke had a nice chat with him!. Anyway back to the MXT so I'm at a bit of a loss to what I was doing wrong prospecting with it maybe I could've tried out relic mode but not sure how much if any difference that would've made?. What've you been up to mate?

Cheers Mate

Sounds like you had a fun day, I like all I have heard about the GM 1000, can't wait for a few more pros to get them and give them a good workout.

With the MXT A/P or the Pro you could try the default Relic mode and crank the Gain right up But if the ground is a bit hot then press the musical Note button once because that mode has a faster SAT speed than the Default Mode and it will handle the ground a bit better but you might have to lower the Gain just a fraction to smooth out the Threshold but still try and run it right on the edge where it becomes sparky, Also Never run the Disc higher than "2" or just under, you might dig a bit of Iron but you won't miss a Nugget, Some Nuggets have Iron Staining on them so If you run the Disc any higher you risk Discing them out so "2" is the absolute Max limit, Ok.

If your GND meter was reading 58% then that is pretty mild Ground So I would try running it in the standard Relic Mode and Max out the Gain to right on the edge, And don't worry about running the Gain where it is sparky because the machine will tell you if it is too high with a message on the screen saying "REDUCE GAIN LIFT LOOP" .

Hope that helps, so let us know how you get on, and remember run the machine with the Tracking Locked unless the ground is changing rapidly,

Good luck,

John.

EDIT:- If you can run the Gain that high in the prospecting mode and with a GND reading of 58 then you should run the SAT no higher than about "4", If I can run my Gain in the +1-+2 area I run my SAT between 2 or 3 for 2 reasons, 1) you get more depth and 2) it will run quieter and using a very low threshold you will be able to hear those faint rises in the threshold that tell you there is either something small or something down Deep, Again remember if you have to lower the Gain for it to run stable "Don't" try raising the SAT first and if you end up with the SAT up around 7-ish then fine but if you have to go higher then you might have to lower the gain but to allow for the reduced gain try lowering the SAT Ok, both of these controls can either work against each other or as a Team and because no 2 bits of ground are the same you need to do your testing/practicing actually on Site, Ok.

J. 

• Like 3

Cheers John 

I'll give that a go and hopefully that'll sort things out. I'll get a pic of the tiny fleck of gold I got and show you!  I did run it over the coil on the MXT A/P and it did pick it up but not sure if it would on the ground and even if it did not sure how I'd pick it out from the other noises unless it's a big enough piece that makes a clear Zip Zip? So how have you been going mate? Been up to anything?

cheers

• Like 1

This is the little fella 

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

• Like 2

The main reason to get the threshold smooth is because on tiny targets sometimes the only signal you will get is a rise in the threshold so you need to set the threshold very low, Quite a lot of targets do not always make a zip zip sound in the prospecting mode or a Bleep in the relic or C&J modes and the secrete to hitting those tiny targets is to listen to those whoosh or faint whoo sounds, By using the MXT this way you can add up to 120% more depth on some targets but not many people use it like that, I am not saying forget zip zip or bleep bleep sounds but by using it like I am saying what you are in fact doing is using it like you would a GP/GPX and it is that faint "Whoo sound from the GPX that alerts the operator that there might be a small target or a bigger one way down deep,

Your MXT will make that Whoo or Whoosh noise  on a coin  at about 8 to 12 inches past the point where it stopped bleeping on it depending on what coil you are using and with a good set of phones like Nugget Busters or Grey Ghost and now the Whites prostars you will hear those faint signals, By setting the threshold real Low and turning the headphone up to the Max, You can get an Idea of what to listen for just by doing a simple Air Test but lock the tracking before you turn the machine On, The sound is anything from a good whoo sound to just a wobble in the threshold, Yes Ground noise can mess with your ears but boils down to the skill of the user, So don't just think zip zip dig, or bleep bleep dig, Think Minelab GPX As well as the ZIP or Bleep, Ok.

It's not perfect but it is another tool you can use and if your ground is that mild then either grab a bigger coil or if the Gold is small then try either the 5.3 coil or even a larger DD, to date my favourite large coil is the Detech 14x10, but we need to try anything to be successful so give it ago and see what happens, but you need to do that air testing just to train your ears what to listen for,

hope that helps.

John.

Congrats that's a sweet little Nugget, Well done. Now Tape that Nugget to a ruler and max out your machine and test it like I said and then you will see the difference of just what it can do, have fun. In the Relic mode try pressing the mode button once and test it in that mode and then try the relic default mode, I think the Whoo sound will show up more if you press the Mode button Once and run the Gain right on the edge,Ok. 

• Like 1

Cheers mate I'll do that and might also take the nuggets I've got out into the field and test them in some dirt. Thanks mate, I always appreciate your advice your a legend!! 

• Like 1