Hunting In Coal Waste

Me and another hunter found two barber dimes several years ago that were very close to AU condition.  They were almost like they were just lost and less than 4" deep.  Now on the other hand, copper coins corrode very quickly in my dirt.

I must add, for sure I've dug hundreds of nails to get these coins.  That is why I'd love to have a PI with true iron discrimination.

Steve was among the pioneers in using the variable GB control of PI detectors like the Infinium and later the TDI to move the GB point of the system around to adjust the switch-over of the high conductor tone and the low conductor tone and thereby discriminate between classes of targets.  The TDI,- thanks, I believe to Reg Sniff - got the ability to turn off either the tones, leaving the user to hear only the remaining tone.

The main issue in using the TDI this way was that the already lesser depth available in "GB on" vs "GB off" was further reduced when offsetting the GB control from the correct GB point in order to exclude iron.

Alexandre Tartar in France, spent more than 10 years studiying existing PI detector designs.  He has detailed his progress in a document which he posted on a website he set up. The whole site is in French, so I ran the PDF through Google translate and saved it to my Google Drive account.  Here's a link

MANTA-HISTORIQUE.fr.en.pdf

Here's a link to a long video of beach test of a V1 or V2 Manta - the platform he developed based on his study and analysis of existing PI detectors.  This is the platform which First Texas has acquired along with hiring Alexandre - and which they have stated that they intend to use to develop various PI detector offerings.

Notice that they demonstrate both the "multitone" and "silent" iron discrimination (similar to the TDI) - as well as the ability to detect a gold ring beneath iron nails, nasty black volcanic sand and both the nails and the sand. Especially interesting to me was the latter part where they demonstrated good depth on a gold coin and a large ring while excluding iron.

Not demonstrated was any capability to do the same stuff with silver coins.  Also, although the beach sand looked as if it might be somewhat mineralized, what is demonstrated is a beach detector and no claims are made as to it's suitability inland especially in ares of high and variable mineralization.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G8sdp4RG73g&feature=youtu.be

• Like 3