The Desert Is A Beautiful Place

Guest Jennifer

Guest Jennifer
27 minutes ago, Jim Hemmingway said:

It surely is Jen. Why not add a few more photos anyone?

Jim.

Wow, hi fellow Canuck, long time no chat... are you still using an Infinum to get native silver?

Jen

4 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Wow, hi fellow Canuck, long time no chat... are you still using an Infinum to get native silver?

Jen

I won’t prattle on extensively about it Jen, but yes the Infinium is quite adequate to scan for larger silver generally. Its usage depends on the anticipated target size, trash levels, substrate magnetic susceptible iron mineralizations, and the absence of pyrrhotite in quantity… a conductive hotrock that PI and VLF units see very well.

Particularly when equipped with larger coils Infinium will penetrate more highly mineralized substrates to significantly greater depths than will VLF units, and mostly ignore iron-mineralized non-conductive hotrocks that occur here. The audio signal ID can be used to eliminate digging some of the larger or elongated iron that reads as ‘high conductive’ in reverse discrimination. That strategy costs me rarely encountered native silver that target IDs above the “silver dime” level, but it’s a very reasonable trade-off. So while the Infinium is inadequate for pursuing gold compared to today’s Minelab offerings, it does possess some redeeming features for this application.

As to silver depths, I’m already digging down a long ways in compacted hardrock tailings for what we consider to be small stuff as illustrated below, and several feet depth for occasional larger targets. That’s about all I’m willing to do short of trenching productive ground to obviously access much greater depths.

Otherwise, when trenching or sinking a testhole I stick with a mid-range prospecting-capable VLF unit such as an F75 or MXT. In some areas as depicted below where a structural diversity of small native silver nuggets existed in quantity, I utilized both types of units for general scanning. 

Thanks for asking Jen… following your posts indicate that you have been quite successful in recent months. That’s fantastic, and let’s hope that success continues for you into the future. :smile:

Jim.

PS: John those are really beautiful photos, so thankyou kindly for posting them. The desert possesses a uniquely rugged beauty, but there is no denying the awesome majesty of New Zealand’s scenic mountains and lakes. 

20161129_150221.jpg.9b478761a50b01697868db7017ddf618.jpg

595e21faf0ac2_COBALTLODEBEDROCKPROSPECTSF.JPG.69f2350d2705bbd3f7d279a9816b689a.JPG

• Like 9

The full moon rising over Rye Patch, Gold Basin in the spring and a sunset near Quartzsite596005bb738de_IMG_7004(1).thumb.JPG.d409a9a7f8c539641e2ef6bda26e9e6c.JPGIMG_2097.thumb.JPG.12e4c5e021e6a735be4b1361bb089bca.JPGIMG_1113.thumb.JPG.d626570cd6caf5901b4392371f96d18b.JPG

• Like 6