Dry Spells And Groundskeepers

Nice ring!

From things I've read, you can't find gold with a CTX! What a fluke! :biggrin:

Congratulations on breaking the dry spell. 

• Like 1

Whats the secret to hunting volleyball courts? I never seem to find anything more than dimes and pennies and matchbox cars in the sand there. I learnt on soccer fields to hunt the sidelines as that's where they take off shoes, put rings in shoes and ferget its there, etc...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tvanwho said:

Whats the secret to hunting volleyball courts? I never seem to find anything more than dimes and pennies and matchbox cars in the sand there. I learnt on soccer fields to hunt the sidelines as that's where they take off shoes, put rings in shoes and ferget its there, etc...

I've read a few theories but I think the biggest secret to hunting volley ball courts is just to keep hunting volley ball courts.

strick  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, strick said:

I was wanting to try out my new elliptical coil on the TDI....

Great finds for a short hunt.  Which TDI coil are you referring to?  Now I know why I never see those brass dollar coins, even in circulation.  They've all been dropped on your beach.

• Like 2

Very nice!   I like finding 18k White Gold.   We need a green emoticon to show some envy.

HH
Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

...Now I know why I never see those brass dollar coins, even in circulation.  They've all been dropped on your beach.

LOL.. I can't believe how many times you've nailed an exact thought of mine first.. The most-recent-attempt $1 coins are virtually non-existent around these-heah parts too.. Since 2000 I've gotten exactly six, not as finds either.. Got a Sacawagea in cash register change when they first came out.. The other five have shown up at a long-running weekly poker game..

I actually have eight 1st-year unc rolls of the durn things (2 Sac & 6 Prez) I peeled to check for test wash/finish & no-edge-printing respectively, that I still have kinda hanging around for posterity.. A year or two ago I found out how many bazillions of 'em are still sitting in Federal storage though, so one of these days they'll go away for an Unc or Proof quarter-eagle or some new-breed proof silver dollars..

Swamp

PS: Wait..! Wait..! Stop the presses..! I did find one metal detecting..! Forgot all about that sucker.. It was under a park bench by a metal leg.. Just enough of a tone variation I dragged the leaves & twigs out with my foot & there it was..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

LOL.. I can't believe how many times you've nailed an exact thought of mine first.

Well, you've heard the saying "Great minds think alike."  Of course there are other more mundane explanations, but let's stick with that one.

My sister is more into finding new coins -- for example, if she's at a WalMart parking lot for 15 mintues she'll pull out her White's MXT and go through the islands.  She seldom leaves without several.  I know she's found the brass dollars in some of her many hunts.

Seems the mint, etc. (but they don't make all the decisions, maybe very few) is always trying to convince us that dollar coins (and half dollars) should still be used, but the public just won't budge.  We had the Eisenhowers in the early-mid 70's and even the Susan B. Anthony (first small format) clads in '79-'81 before the Sacagawea and eventualy presidents.  But like you, I seldom see them except as gifts or presentation pieces.  Canada had (don't know if they still do) their 'Loonies', which were quite attractive, IMO.  I used to put scientific payloads on balloons and a friend in that effort had the idea of flying some Loonies on one of them (~120 kft = 23 miles = 36 km altitiude) when we were in Prince Albert, SK so we did and I still have them -- just saw them in a plastic film canister the other day.  Still looking as pretty as the day they came out of the Royal Mint.  Probably still worth all of $1 Canadian....  Likely since then some have made it on the Shuttle and/or Space Station, but I bet we held the high altitude record for the Loonie for at least a while.

Speaking of attractive Canadian coins, I really like the 1 oz gold Maple Leaf.  I had one of those long ago but (unfortunately) sold it for about 1/3 of its current value way back (1992, I think) when I needed the money for a down payment on a house.  That's long gone, too, but at least I parlayed it along the way.  Still wish I had that coin, though.  I don't think I (or anyone else) is likely to find one of those metal detecting, unless it's in a buried/hidden cache. I'm going to be satisifed with my occasional silver coin find -- those are hard enough to come by.

I've attached some images for those who aren't familiar with these coins.  I prefer QE II early likenesses, but glad she's made it this far and still going strong.  Son Charles probably thought he'd be on the big throne by now, but he's had it pretty good.

Ike.jpg

SBA.jpg

loonie.png

lizzie.jpeg

maple-leaf.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice ring, Strick!  I haven't found any gold since that tiny little 22k pendant 3 weeks ago. :dry:

On July 7, 2017 at 5:00 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Great finds for a short hunt.  Which TDI coil are you referring to?  Now I know why I never see those brass dollar coins, even in circulation.  They've all been dropped on your beach.

The Eisenhower's are rare around here probably because of the size. The brass dollars are in the parks...I'll get one every once in a while. That Canadian coin would look nice in my collection...Thanks for the comments everyone. Great that we can exchange info. I had Minor John build me a 9x14 open web mono coil. 

strick

• Like 2