7000 Software Update Hunt

Terrific report Mitchel.   Thanks very much. I normally run difficult and I sometimes change over to Normal until I can`t bare the noise anymore, and Locate Patch definately quietens the detector down in Normal and you are right, you don`t get anywhere near as many hotrocks, but in these early days I think Normal/Locate Patch is losing sensitivity to Difficult/High Yield.   I still don`t quite understand what this Locate patch setting is meant to do. I got out into the great unknown yesterday with the 19" coil and I didn`t get any gold, but i got more birdshot with High Yield/Difficult than I got with High Yield/ Normal/Locate Patch.          If I am understanding this Semi Tracking setting, I think it`s terrific. Once you tune out the ferrite ring it stays tuned out. But it may be possible I`m missing the point of Semi-Auto as well. I don`t understand why Minelab says it`s for expert users. To me it seems everybody should be using it.  Dave

• Like 1

Dave,

Thanks for the read.  I know it gets long when I see it and try to find parts of it.

Let me make it clear that I was testing High Yield, Normal, Locate Patch.  I took it out of difficult for the entire night.  I did change the Sensitivity a few times.

Mitchel

hey Mitchel.   No probs mate. What I wrote was not any way directed at anything you wrote. It was just my own rambling observations of this update so far.  As time goes on I`m sure I will learn more.  cheers Dave

Thank you JW.  

The Zed lets us hear a few different sounds that have been silent on other detectors.

I hope everyone is able to set up the Zed to their liking and can hear the sweet sounds of success.

Mitchel

Yes, very good and detailed report, Mitchel.  The way Locate Patch gets rid of some of the ironstones, is interesting.  The question I come up with is whether Locate Patch is better to rid of these ironstones or if it is better to go into Difficult.  My experience previously, is that Difficult usually doesn't help too much with the ironstones, more with the ground noise.  I guess I'll have to build upon your tests and others with my own.  Just another reason to get out into the full moon weekend.  

• Like 1

Thank you Mitchel, a super report. This is really helpful to get a sense of the new settings and to set realistic expectations. I hope to get out soon, but with this heat in SoCal I may have to wait for a full moon. Do you need to take any special precautions with animals or bugs at night?

Randy,

The other night with a bright moon there really was not any problems.  In the past I had a few problems with the moths that are attracted to light.  They would get inside the car.

There are a few roos about.  They are not the Australian roos mind you.  It is a little rat.  http://www.ocregister.com/2009/08/25/kangaroo-rats-still-leaping-in-oc/

During the day we have seen a couple of rattle snakes around but if you are looking in front of your coil swing then they won't be a problem.  At night it is cool and they are less active or in a hole somewhere.

Mitchel

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Randy Lunn said:

Thank you Mitchel, a super report. This is really helpful to get a sense of the new settings and to set realistic expectations. I hope to get out soon, but with this heat in SoCal I may have to wait for a full moon. Do you need to take any special precautions with animals or bugs at night?

For bugs, just use a green or red light.  I prefer green.  It is invisible to the bugs.

• Like 1