Zed Screen Service Option

I've had my Zed now for over 2 years  and less than 3.  It is still under warranty.  

About a year ago I notice the pixels on my screen had developed a line in the lower right corner.  I called Minelab and my only option was to send back the entire package in the original box.  I may have done this at the time but I would have to wait a couple of months to get it back as there were no replacements available.

Soon after I called the pixel lines went away and I have been using it just fine.  Recently the pixel line has come back with even more lines.  It is just a little distracting especially based on what I paid for it!

Last week I called Minelab and they said they had plenty of units available.  Call them back with the serial number and they would send an RMA number for me.  When I called back they asked me the problem and I told them.  I was then told I don't need to send back everything.  I could send them the screen portion of the detector only.  They would then send me a replacement screen which also has other parts of the brains in it.  I imagine there is a board in there with the video and other functions so that would be replaced also.  I don't know what is in the lower part of the detector.

Has anyone had this 'fix' done and what are your results?

They told me the day they get my screen will be the day they send out the new one.

Mitchel

• Like 2

Fred,

I have removed the screen with the cord and handle from the shaft.  That is a sealed unit.  It was easy to remove because the only screws (hex head) loosened were clamp screws which makes the handle tight to the shaft.

I will call them and make sure this is the portion that they want.

Mitchel

I have read the Minelab email again and think I have done right.  They want the screen chassis to be sent to them.

This includes the handle, the cord and the screen which has a board behind it.  It is also the place where the cable is plugged in to upgrade and transfer data.

If this is ok it will be off to them tomorrow 2 day delivery insured.

What is the value of the screen chassis?

Mitchel

The little pixies are also leaving my screen so let us know how it works. Don't be a tight wad- over insure as the rest of the detector would be worthless if the screen disappeared in shipping. Sometimes saving money is very expensive.

• Like 2

Minelab sent an RMA number and also a UPS pickup shipping label.  It should be there by Friday and back to me sometime next week.

Fred,

Exactly!  They pick it up and send it back.  Better than I had thought last week.

By the way, the modular design of the 7000 means it is 'not so delicate' and rather simple.  This last software update mentioned that both portions must be connected in order to upgrade.  This means the screen which is in the screen chassis that has the USB connection and the other portion (I think the part Paul misplaced) which holds the battery.

As you know from your 3030 and your 7000 there are two connectors which plug into that bottom portion.  One is for the coil and the other is for the screen board.  There are no screws on the 3030 but there are screws which allow you to remove the upper portion of the shaft on the 7000.  This should make it simple to fix something that goes wrong physically on the 7000 now that they have extra modules and units.

When you are ready Klunker give Tracy Johnson a call.

Mitchel

Screen is now in Minelab hands!