Question Regarding Cleaning Equipment After You Find The Coins And Relics

I am looking for some advice, brands, ideas, etc on some equipment for cleaning some of the stuff I find.

I am looking for a decent large magnifying glass on a stand that will let me use both hands to see items close up while cleaning them.  Preferably with it's own lighting.

I am looking for what folks use for quality picks with extremely fine points.  I know  (never clean your coins)  is the mantra, but I am putting together a type set of the coins I have dug, and also albums of Indian head and newer cents, and since most are relatively worthless, I just want to purge them of all dirt and clean them up as best as possible for in the albums.

any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rod

14 hours ago, rod-pa said:

I fashion my coin picks from wood(s).. Constantly re-sharpening, but that's the price one pays for no scratches.. There are some hardwoods I believe would work well but have never tried because they are expensive to the point there is never any scrap; all unusable bits get turned into slivers, chips, coarse and fine sawdust to be used as filler..

A product I've found that works great (and fast) as far as removing between-the-numbers-and-letters crud from having been in circulation (not out of the ground) wheat & memorial 'copper' pennies only without creating other problems or rectifying other situations is Goo Gone Xtreme.. Can't see why it wouldn't work just as well on Indian Heads.. Have no idea how it works on / reacts with other coin types.. Do they even still mfg this solvent though..? Rinse in distilled demineralized water..

Presently have no hands-free magnification setup.. If I need to be futzing with a coin under magnification I find those that attach to eyewear or using a visor-type to be better suited.. They allow for quicker more nimble motion in non extended-time (multi-day) situations..

Swamp

EDIT: It should be noted that if I'm going to be picking dirt out of letters, numbers etc., before doing so I lift some oil from around my nose or forehead, rub it 'into' the coin then let sit a couple days.. It's amazing how well this both loosens the dirt and causes it to clump, thereby eliminating possible scratching that could be caused by sands and other solids in the dirt proper if worked at while dry..

• Like 2

I use wooden meat skewers, tooth picks and large pink erasers to clean my copper coins..  I use the eraser first and get more aggressive as needed.  Sometimes I will use hot peroxide for a quick dip but this will darken the coin the longer you soak.  Don't use any of these methods on silver coins.

Bryan

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Heard of people using lead pencil. I've tried it and doesn't seem to hurt the coin? Nice job on the coins Cabin...always love seeing your photos...I'll try the eraser

• Like 1

Some tips on ultrasonic cleaners and tumblers here http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/547544-how-clean-those-better-coins-jewelry-you-find.html

The vast majority of my coins just get a quick tumble clean, then off to a Coinstar machine, and toss what it won't accept. Most silver coins I just polish up with silver polish. Don't worry, I look for key dates and high value coins first, but fact is 99% of the coins I find are worth face or silver bullion value. The good ones might be worth a few dollars. That being the case I just want them to look nice. If something is worth a buck less because I clean it I can live with that.

Those Indian Heads cleaned up beautifully strick - good job!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Those Indian Heads cleaned up beautifully strick - good job!

Thanks Steve...  but I wish I found and cleaned  those.... their Cabin Fever's

strick