My Next Detector?

I've been using the tesoro lobo for 8 years now with great success.  I'm ready for something different with a little more depth.  I find gold nuggets and quartz/gold.  Most of the Au/quartz comes from taillings and when they go quite I rake and find more...sometimes.  I've been looking at the ATX but read it has trouble finding Au/quartz.  I understand size matters on ability for any detector.  2000ish is my budget and that can buy a lot of rakes. I'm just not 100% I like the way it sounds and I'm sure we can get along just fine. Discrimination is not that important, I hardly use it. Any info would help thanks.

20160304_150304.jpg

My suggestion would be to take pictures of all the gold you have found, keep what you really must have and sell the rest and get any detector you want without regard to budget.

You probably have many patches and areas that are begging you to go back with your favorite, all time best detector.  I just think that those detectors are above your budget right now if you stop at $2000 unless you get a great deal on a working machine that someone else does not want.

Mitchel

• Like 4

That just might be the case. I really want to like the atx even though I've never used it.  Just the mixed reviews on depth and sensitivity.  Waterproof would be fun and i could see trying it out here in late summer. But not a selling point.

I can go and clear a patch with the vlf but I know I'm missing deeper targets.  I've see minelabs do great here in California.  I just have a hard time with the price.  I guess you have to spend money to make it.  Anyway its a hobbie and my old tesoro and I can sure get gold and have fun. Thank you for responding! This Forum is great.

Welcome to the forum!

What you are doing is working so I am not one to say you need to run out and get another detector. What specifically is the problem with the Lobo you are hoping to solve with another detector?

If I was raking tailings for little gold and quartz bits I would probably be using a Gold Bug 2 with 6" coil, just because it will hit harder on tiny bits than the Lobo.

If you are having difficulty detecting really hot mineralized ground or dealing with real bad hot rocks a PI might be in order. These days instead of the ATX ($2120) I am more inclined to aim a person at the GPX 4500 ($2699) for just a little more money, unless you need the waterproof feature. Neither the ATX or GPX is likely to help you out much with the rake and detect operation however. They are better suited for general prospecting. The thing about rake and detect is depth is not really an issue since you are bringing the material closer to the coil.

If you did decide to get an ATX get the new version with the 11" x 13" enclosed DD coil.

• Like 3

Hi Steve,

The lobo is a great machine and I don't have any issues other than batterie wires. Once I figured out how to use it and started finding gold it's been great.  I don't plan on getting rid of it.  I'm going to mount it above my fireplace if it ever stops working and can't be repaired.

I guess I should have said 2nd detector sorry about that.  I love detecting and do it as much as possible,  and I think I'm ready for a second detector. Just something different.  Thanks for the response.  I'll keep you guys/gals posted.

Jason

And another picture

2012-12-21 11.48.03.jpg

• Like 4

I have a very experienced gold detecting friend out of Chico, CA who detects in the general LaPorte area. Since he's not on the Net, he asked me to get him a NEL Snake coil for his Lobo Supertraq about a year ago, and says that it out-does the GB2!! which he's used forever. Which is really saying something. You might try refreshing your Lobo with this coil. Request a price from Showmetreasure--it will be better than the usual quoted one. Riversrat in England uses this combo on the Thames River.

• Like 1