Minelab GM 1000 & Makro Gold Racer

Makro Gold Racer - Target ID, full range discrimination, steeper learning curve. Bottom line? Better for somebody looking for a more general purpose machine (gold, coins, jewelry, relics) that is very hot on gold.

Minelab Gold Monster 1000 - No target ID, no adjustable discrimination. Ease of use a priority. Bottom line? Better for somebody looking for a gold prospecting specific detector with possible jewelry applications (dry beach, tot lots).

My general recommendation is if you only want to prospect for gold, then use a detector made expressly from the ground up for that purpose. If you want a detector to do more than just prospecting, get a general purpose detector that is hot on gold.

I have both and neither is going away anytime soon. Click images below for larger views...

makro-gold-racer-versus-minelab-gold-monster-1000-metal-detectors.jpgmakro-gold-racer-versus-minelab-gold-monster-1000.jpg

makro-gold-racer-versus-minelab-gold-monster-1000-specifications.jpg

• Like 8

All other attributes aside, which detector handles hot ground better? 

In example which detector loses less depth in Laterite soils?

Which detector handles hot rocks better while still retaining depth?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, goldbrick said:

All other attributes aside, which detector handles hot ground better? 

In example which detector loses less depth in Laterite soils?

Which detector handles hot rocks better while still retaining depth?

A GPX 5000.

• Like 4

As usual lots to think about.

Don't forget the fun factor. There are lots of detectors that will out perform my 705 in any given situation but I sure have a lot of fun with it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

the CTX is almost certain to survive.

This is the punch line for me..... and the great news is Merton has one.

strick 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, D&P-OR said:

Do you get that coil knock issue you mentioned when running in maxed auto sensitivity on the GM1000?-----Does it occur with both coils?

The coil touch sensitivity has been mentioned before, though it is hard to get a grip on how bad it is machine to machine. kiwijw's issue in that regard seems more troubling than what I experience, but then again I rarely run the GM1000 at manual sensitivity 9-10. My go-to setting has been manual sensitivity 6, 7, or 8 plus auto sensitivity where needed and at those levels I get no touch sensitivity of note. At 9 I get a little touch sensitivity with both coils, and at 10 it is such that I have to use careful coil control to keep the machine tamed. I have been doing this so long I hardly notice I am doing it but my coil handling with any machine changes almost instantly to whatever the machine tells me keeps it happy. The Gold Racer has some touch sensitivity at max sensitivity also but it is fairly minor. The Gold Bug 2 is the spoiler because you can crank it all the way up and I swear you could play golf with the 6" coil and not get false signals. I use a Gold Bug 2 6" coil to mow dirt flat and push rocks out of the way. You can't do that with the GM1000 at max sensitivity as it will false as you bump and touch things.

• Like 1