Minelab GM 1000 & Makro Gold Racer

Klunker, thanks for your answer. We need men like you in Congress.

Steve, All I can say is WOW! That was some reply. Thanks for all the time you spend helping us.

I am just looking to eke out some extra ground handling  capability in sites that a PI fears to tread due to massive amounts of trash. If they are that close in performance I will just keep my Gold Racer.

• Like 3

Hi Merton,

Sorry so long winded! I don't want to sound like I am avoiding a question but at the same time I am not a big fan of simple answers when reality can be a lot more nuanced. It may prove that the GM 1000 would be a worthwhile investment for you but it's not a slam dunk.

People are always going to have their favorites, but as far as I am concerned I can grab any detector running at over 30 kHz and do about as well. The detector will not matter to me much as the quality of the location. 

• Like 1

That's a lot for us to take in so it's no wonder newbies keep asking the same question over and over, the choice of which IB machine to buy now boils down to which one suits the application along with the desired features.

One thing that impressed me with the GM-1000 was in Chris R's 2nd video with the way he changed to Disc mode and not only did the GM go quiet over that soil and Iron but most of all the way the hot rock vanished, Using VLF / LF machines I think we would put up with some junk but hot rocks will drive you nuts, But not with the GM-1000,

I like it..

John.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2017 at 7:09 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

The coil touch sensitivity has been mentioned before, though it is hard to get a grip on how bad it is machine to machine. kiwijw's issue in that regard seems more troubling than what I experience, but then again I rarely run the GM1000 at manual sensitivity 9-10. My go-to setting has been manual sensitivity 6, 7, or 8 plus auto sensitivity where needed and at those levels I get no touch sensitivity of note. At 9 I get a little touch sensitivity with both coils, and at 10 it is such that I have to use careful coil control to keep the machine tamed. I have been doing this so long I hardly notice I am doing it but my coil handling with any machine changes almost instantly to whatever the machine tells me keeps it happy. The Gold Racer has some touch sensitivity at max sensitivity also but it is fairly minor. The Gold Bug 2 is the spoiler because you can crank it all the way up and I swear you could play golf with the 6" coil and not get false signals. I use a Gold Bug 2 6" coil to mow dirt flat and push rocks out of the way. You can't do that with the GM1000 at max sensitivity as it will false as you bump and touch things.

Don't know if this will help others with the coil knock issue or not but I took a plastic zip tie and zip tied the coil cable to the shaft just above the coil and the coil knock issue seemed to go away for me I can now run in 9 or 10 sens in all metal and the coil knock is not an issue like I said I do not know if this will help on all the GM 1000s out there but on mine it did seem to

• Like 1

dang Steve, that post gives me brain freeze, don't know how you can juggle all of those!

I have enough with just 2, G2+ and Racer 2 but alas there's no gold here (except an occasional jewelry piece)

cheers