Gold Monster 1000 - My Thoughts

Just received my GM 1000:

(As posted on another forum)

First outing today for 2 hrs in a trashy garden. Picked up two 50 yr old Canadian coins (quarter and a penny) in deep all metal mode showing non ferrous.... ok so far. On the other hand this detector has a flimsy, cheap feel to it despite not expecting heavy duty at that price. The "lid" for the battery compartment I believe would embarrass even "made in China". However, time will tell. My previous detector was a Whites TDI... very tank like. Had I not had such a good offer ..would have kept it. My bro has a Fisher Gold Bug 2 and the GB pro. I am sensing a bit of regret I did not go the same way.

I too hope you stick it out with your Gold Monster 1000. I don't know you just like you don't know the GM 1000 and it all takes time to get to know something are someone.

I wish you the best on your next find and the next time out.

I'll tell you a little test I done with my GM. I'd seen this video on my Scuba Tector showing it couldn't detect gold chains. Well it couldn't.

Then I done the same test with my GM 1000 and that test set me back some. I first tested the chains in a ball and it sounded off loud. Then I ran a test with each flat out and all sounded off as before. One chain was thin with another about 1/8 diameter and the last 3/16 diameter. The two bigger ones the Gm said the larger one was gold but the other wasn't. Both look the same but the GM said different.

The Best

Chuck

Thank you Chuck.    My concern was related to the "construction" of the detector which looks flimsy particularly the battery "lid" compartment.  The only other detector I have used for the past 5 yrs or so has been a TDI Pro by Whites which is rugged to a fault in comparison.   I believe the guts of the 1000 are solid ML tech.

I have and have had some of the tanks you talk about but tanks do be come heavy for this guy as time pass me by. Minelab sent you a shaft as simple as it may be but it's still a shaft. In my opinion they could just sent me the the unit. I'd could have got my own broom handle and saved more money. I think Steve has done that already.

I don't know where you come from but myself I don't live in gold country. The price of a detector isn't going to stop me from being there when I can no matter the distance.

People will spend 20 thousand on a boat and it's nothing but a money pit. Any money you spend on a detector will pay you back if you get it out in the field. I know this because I've done it over and over again. Over the years I've found so many rings I've lost count.

Texas is where I live and it's been so hot even the devil moved out.

Chuck

• Like 6

RR - I have actually ditched the GM shaft as it was too long for me and bought 2 broom sticks for $7 each. One has been left long and is the perfect length for me and the other is going to be cut down as a real shorty for backpacking, in mines, creek walks, etc. 

Very happy ML provided the broom stick adapters with the GM!!  

• Like 2

Northeast

Don't throw that shaft away. When I first got my GM. I too found found the shaft was too long for me also. I cut off about six inches behind the arm rest. Then knock the plug at the end and put it on the other. The control unit is just past where the middle shaft and the end meet. That way you can unscrew the end shaft with the arm rest on it. When you put it back together you may have to adjust arm rest so it straight but that's easy..  

The best to you 

Chuck

• Like 1

No, certainly won't throw it out RR. I don't intend on selling it but always keep everything just in case I ever do and the buyer wants all original items. 

I didn't intend on selling the SDC either though...:cool:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20924&p=9

Not getting such great reviews in Oz.

This youtube Oz review not so good either:  https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20924&p=9

.... Out again tomorrow on a copper claim Vancouver Island reportedly gold in the copper deposits.