MX Sport Nuggets - 2.25 Dwt - Holy Smokes!

Wow...some nice finds! Way to go if those bigger ones are gold.....I've been tricked when detecting in hard rock gravels/sulfides, ended up being weird copper mix byproducts in my case.  Hope yours are the real deal! :-)

19 minutes ago, IdahoPeg said:

Wow...some nice finds! Way to go if those bigger ones are gold.....I've been tricked when detecting in hard rock gravels/sulfides, ended up being weird copper mix byproducts in my case.  Hope yours are the real deal! :-)

Thanks - I plan on having these checked by a local shop to make sure they are legit. These were down on a flat bench right above the confluence of two rivers. I won't know for sure they are gold until I have them professionally tested.

• Like 1

Way to go sounds like you guys had fun...Gerry's a great guy who will bend over backwards for his clients. 

strick

tboykin, congrats on the nuggets. Hope they pan out to be the real deal. It also showed me that I guess I had better stick to finding old coins. The only gold I may ever find will be round and have a date stamped on it. When you stopped and showed them to me......I would have never guessed them as gold. 

And yes it was fun seeing that girl find her 1st silver coin with the MX Sport. She was so excited , she was shaking. Also, there are a few post/pics over at Monte's site about that weekend.

https://www.ahrps.org/forums/read.php?4,6636,6636#msg-6636 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OregonGregg said:

tboykin, congrats on the nuggets. Hope they pan out to be the real deal. It also showed me that I guess I had better stick to finding old coins. The only gold I may ever find will be round and have a date stamped on it. When you stopped and showed them to me......I would have never guessed them as gold. 

And yes it was fun seeing that girl find her 1st silver coin with the MX Sport. She was so excited , she was shaking. Also, there are a few post/pics over at Monte's site about that weekend.

https://www.ahrps.org/forums/read.php?4,6636,6636#msg-6636 

Same here. Your coin collection was amazing to see. Something I will never match! Nice meeting you and when you stop by the factory next please don't be a stranger.

17 hours ago, tboykin said:

It's either gold or copper. Brass is not a good conductor and I tested the resistance using an Ohm-meter.

I can't weigh in on what you have, but in my experience, an ohm-meter isn't a good discriminator for metals.  I looked up some electrical resistivities (mostly pure metals) and then did some measurements with my (admittedly cheapo) multimeter.  To put things in perspecdtive, at room temp, gold is quite low in resistivity (not as much as copper or silver, but close).  'Brass' (don't know which alloy) is 3 times higher ( = worse conductor).  'Bronze' is a factor of 2 worse than brass.  Lead is another factor of 3 times brass.  Titanium is again a factor of more than 2 worse than lead.  Yet I have pieces of all of these (exept gold :sad:) and they all measure resistance (not resistivity, though) at 0 on the meter. The meter's precision is 0.1 ohms, so I conclude that these pieces all have the same resistance within about 0.05 ohms.

A clean sample of uniform composition should read pretty reliably on an fluorescence X-ray spectrometer ("XRF analysis").  The poor man's method (which includes me) is to use Archimedes Principle to find the density and then use that to rule things in or out.  Gold has such a high density ('specific gravity') that unless alloyed <~50% it's distinguishable from most metals, and all the metals in its density ballpark (from what I know) are quite valuable except for tungsten.

I've read here that some coin shops have XRF spectrometers and the nice ones will analyze a sample for free.  You strike me as a sweet talker -- I bet one of them will do it for you!  :smile:  There is a company in California that advertises in the ICMJ that will do it for $25 per sample.  (Read their fine print, though, if you decide to go that route.)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I can't weigh in on what you have, but in my experience, an ohm-meter isn't a good discriminator for metals.  I looked up some electrical resistivities (mostly pure metals) and then did some measurements with my (admittedly cheapo) multimeter.  To put things in perspecdtive, at room temp, gold is quite low in resistivity (not as much as copper or silver, but close).  'Brass' (don't know which alloy) is 3 times higher ( = worse conductor).  'Bronze' is a factor of 2 worse than brass.  Lead is another factor of 3 times brass.  Titanium is again a factor of more than 2 worse than lead.  Yet I have pieces of all of these (exept gold :sad:) and they all measure resistance (not resistivity, though) at 0 on the meter. The meter's precision is 0.1 ohms, so I conclude that these pieces all have the same resistance within about 0.05 ohms.

A clean sample of uniform composition should read pretty reliably on an fluorescence X-ray spectrometer ("XRF analysis").  The poor man's method (which includes me) is to use Archimedes Principle to find the density and then use that to rule things in or out.  Gold has such a high density ('specific gravity') that unless alloyed <~50% it's distinguishable from most metals, and all the metals in its density ballpark (from what I know) are quite valuable except for tungsten.

I've read here that some coin shops have XRF spectrometers and the nice ones will analyze a sample for free.  You strike me as a sweet talker -- I bet one of them will do it for you!  :smile:  There is a company in California that advertises in the ICMJ that will do it for $25 per sample.  (Read their fine print, though, if you decide to go that route.)

Awesome info, thank you. There's a coin shop here I can take it to. My plan is to slam the nuggies on the table and say "I'll sell ya this gold for $100!" At which point the shop owner will scoff and say "That's not gold!" Then I will say "PROVE IT BUDDY!" Free test achieved.

• Like 3