Gold Prospecting With The Garrett Atx

Hey Steve, Wow; late to the party here...good frigin job on the nuggets man! Almost an oz in one day is killer in my book. Especially with a detector!

And good job on the research, that is half the battle there. By the way, I got tired of waiting for Garrett to come out with the open coil covers, and since I had a few of them I drew an outline of the coil while it was on it, and used a dremmel tool to cut it - so now it is an open cover, which I like better. Seemed the closed one added a little weight. I hear they have the open covers availiable now...

I brought my wetsuit down here to the Los Angeles area to do some of the beach hunting you mentioned. Is SoCal the area you were talking about? If so, hit me up and we can do some surf detecting if a storm opens it up...

Hey JP, Did you sell your ATX? Curious... that is some nasty lookn dirt. Found a spot in Oregon looks very similar near where I dredge. Its only maybe one sq mile in size, but was the beginning of where the gold is and was formed there (contact zone). No gold above that area...only below. 

Alan

<snip>...

Personally, I try to stay away from the "tourist areas" and totally rely on my research, limited knowledge of geology, and what mother nature is trying to tell me when prospecting for gold. When I find that first nugget in an area that "there is no gold", then I know I'll have accomplished something! It could be next week, next month, or next year, but I'm gonna keep prospecting in areas that I think the old timers might have missed.  :)... <unsnip>

To some extent I sometimes like to take the same approach, but...the old timers didn't miss much!  What they lacked in technology they made up for with dogged persistence and focus and sometimes I wonder if not some sort of ESP due to that extreme focus.

- Bob