XP Deus 74 Khz Elliptical Coil - I'm Impressed!

Steve, thank you for posting your early experience with this new hf elipitical, I've struggled with mine a little, but took the opposite approach and jumped right into some of our difficult ground. The flat pieces of rusted tin are bothersome, square nails and bits of square nail show numbers in the 98-05, but on the hot ground after gb if I throw a 1/2g nugget down it will sound off 4 to five inches, give iron numbers at around 3" and finally a nonferrous reading when the coil is right on the gold. A chunk of old lead (4g?) down in some river gravel sang out 4" deep with #'s in the 60's. I've been running pgm 10, sen 80-85, 54khz (29 is still very good, 14khz looses depth on the small gold a little as expected. Of course another huge difference is my results also exactly correlate to my experience level and are consistent with success ratios I'm accustomed to, so my results are based more on comparisons to typical targets found and one unscientific test of a couple of unburied nuggets. I've also hunted up there in the hot program, deep and Deus fast (v2, v3.2 and v4 filters) the discrimination cuts out the hot rocks and iron really well, I was still using similar settings as I used with pgm 10 (GF). Despite struggling in the early stages if feel (hope) with a lot of practice I'll get the hang of what the Deus is trying to tell me.

• Like 1

Steve either that's an old knapsack or you found somewhere to buy a new one?

Had one like that but can't find a replacement.

I know... off topic.   Sorry

I have had that REI rucksack for so long.... over 30 years, 40 maybe? The zipper in the lid flap pouch is broken. The knapsack is like an old pair of jeans I can't bear to throw away so I guess I need to sew in a new zipper.

1515Art, jumping right into bad ground definitely adds to the challenges and the worse the ground the less reliable any discrimination will be. That flat steel really bangs out hard as a non-ferrous target at 74 kHz. That stuff is a challenge for all VLF detectors.

Usually when using discrimination gold will run at the low end of the disc range whereas steel that "wraps high" will come in at much higher VDI readings. The problem is that the higher you go with the frequency, the more all targets shift to the high end of the VDI scale. I need to do some testing on larger nuggets but I bet they read quite high compared to what would be seen at lower frequencies. 

My gut feeling is that the Deus has a vast array of possible settings to deal with almost anything, but that this is a dual edged sword. For me it gives me a great deal of confidence that I can get this machine to perform well (for a VLF) under nearly any conditions. At the same time that complexity could make certain levels of nuance more inaccessible to some people and outright daunting for beginners. If the Gold Monster represents simplicity the Deus takes it to the far other end of the scale. Most VLF prospectors should feel at home in the Gold Field program however.

One issue there. Gold Field is a threshold based all metal program. The threshold is off by default and can only be adjusted with the main controller. If you are trying to operate via headphones only there is no way to adjust the threshold! This means Deus Lite owners or somebody like me that might want to leave the controller at home are out of luck. Attempting to use Gold Field without the controller means no threshold, at least as far as I can determine at the moment. If anyone knows different please let me know. Here is all that can be adjusted directly via either of the Deus smart headphone options:

• DISC ------------ Discrimination
  • SENS ----------- Sensitivity
  • GND ------------ Ground
  • FREQ ----------- Frequency
  • TONE ----------- Number of Tones
  • VOL ------------- Audio volume
  • COIL ------------ Selected coil or MI-6
  • P1 to P10 ------- Factory programs

I have the WS5 headphones and I like them a lot. Comfortable over ear design like most good nugget headphones. I tried the small backphone version before and was not impressed. If I want lighter weight phones I will just use plug in types. Oddly enough the only Deus volume control is built into the headphones but that option is not available on the main controller, so if using plug in headphones look for ones with volume controls. I tried my ear bud style that does not have a volume control and got a nasty audio blast.

ws5-headphones-xp-deus.jpg

• Like 4

Recently when I approach the treasurer for money for another detector buy, she mumbles incoherently all I get is something about that DP Steve again.

Crikey we wait ages from product announcement to availability, you`d think the manufactures would show a bit of compassion, get together and spread the availability a bit evenly through the year, no way do they care about the stress they put on our marriages...........

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, LipCa said:

Steve either that's an old knapsack or you found somewhere to buy a new one?

Had one like that but can't find a replacement.

I know... off topic.   Sorry

That REI Knapsack carried many of books during my college days. Some things you never seem to loose but that day pack as been long gone for many years.... thanks for jogging my memory.

Since I have a Gold Monster (Birthday gift from my wife) My Deus will remain a relic machine for now. 

strick 

A few inches at most. Simply finding tiny gold like this is an achievement for any detector, but depth will always be near surface. That is why good coil control keeping the coil on or as close to the ground as possible is so critical. If a tiny piece can only be detected an inch deep and you are a half inch off the ground you miss them.

• Like 5

On 7/23/2017 at 1:53 PM, Norvic said:

Recently when I approach the treasurer for money for another detector buy, she mumbles incoherently all I get is something about that DP Steve again.

Crikey we wait ages from product announcement to availability, you`d think the manufactures would show a bit of compassion, get together and spread the availability a bit evenly through the year, no way do they care about the stress they put on our marriages...........

Norvic,

It is obvious you have not found the secrete to as many detectors as you want ...

The secret is:

Hi honey, I'm home ... ok ... come in here and let me see what you got.

That's WONDERFUL ... when are you going out again?  

If it's not too far from the car I'll go with you the next time!

Mitchel

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Steve.

Just noticed you sold the new xp deus hf coil.

What happened, or what went wrong with experiment "XP DEUS V4 -HF ELIPTICLE" ???

Was kinda hoping you'd found the "do-it-all" holy grail you and others were looking for, including myself.

Any updated info, or maybe you have a write up in waiting.

jim

• The title was changed to XP Deus 74 Khz Elliptical Coil - I'm Impressed!