Minelab's Sensational New Metal Detector

Tis a CTZ 4040 for sure..........................

• Like 2

"I'm hoping that Philip Shane Wahrlich, the gentleman who filed the Patent in April 2014, was sitting in the audience when I was very privileged to deliver a paper (and films) to the entire development crew of Minelab in Torrensville South Australia, August 2011 on "Fundamental Shortcomings of Metal Detectors - What are they?"

Highlighted:

1. Poor ferrous identification

2. Inability to differentiate aluminium and gold (and also lead)

3. Waterproof ability

4. Outdated battery technology

5. Weight

Reading the Patent doesn't reveal or give very much away?

We know that 'they know' their market share has slipped with direct competition from "XP", "Nokta & Makro", and their reputation has fallen via their "Go-Find" product. Recently, they have won back respect for their GPZ and New GM1000. So they are back on track! But on what?

That is a good Q.

Just what is it they have been working on?

It could be:

1. A Deus killer...

2. A Sovereign replacement

3. A Musketeer replacement

4. The 2nd E Trac (we never got one, they delivered the CTX, a new platform)

5. An X-Terra replacement improvement

7. A new Excalibur

8. A discrimination PI

9. Something completely New with New Technology?

How could this be done?

They might have found a way via new coil design using micro processors inside the coil (already done as far back as the Sovereign) but with multiple processors to handle Ground Signal information and split it completely from Target Signal information and 'clean up' ground and ground noises and through new processors inside the control box totally move the ground information to a filter set and thereby concentrate on processing Target Signal information only to provide way more accurate target composition identification in the FE and CO components thereby delivering highly accurate TID's from initial target hits at depth! 

This New Technology might also provide advanced digital filtering to allow for increased Sensitivity and would reject more interference from EMI and from said ground noises which in the case of utilizing higher frequencies might allow for improved stability 'if', this new technology would allow for all round use including, coin shooting, salt water use, relic hunting and prospecting etc. There may be improved ground balance as the new technology allows far more accurate ground sampling?

I for one am 'very excited' to see just what is is they are bringing to the table?

However I do have one fear - I'm afraid they might package whatever it is in the CTX platform"

• Like 4

I hope that a breakthrough in discrimination and less overall detector weight will be the next major changes in the technology.  

• Like 2

From https://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabbing/news?article=315332

"We are very excited to announce that our newest metal detector will be unveiled at Detectival UK Rally on Sep 16th, 2017. Detectival will be held from the 15th to the 17th of September on 1,000 acres of undetected land close to the medieval market towns of Burford and Charlbury, approximately two hours outside of London. 

This event, proudly sponsored by Minelab, will also be a great opportunity to learn more about our new technology, meet with Minelab staff for product demonstations and participate in token hunts with other metal detecting enthusiasts from across the globe! Best of all, all proceeds from the event raffle will be given to two charities: Asthma UK and the Lullaby Trust."

IMG_0535.PNG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tnsharpshooter

Here are some things to consider.

Where will the unit be priced?

As far as their current lineup.

If cheaper than a CTX, then would it be deeper than CTX?

That wouldn't make any sense.

So CTX price could be lowered and fit this new model over the top of CTX.

Etrac, it's future looks like could be on its last legs.

But it is based on history of Minelab, Etrac time wise has about run its course.

Will be interesting to see the wireless headphones with this newer unit.

Hope it has some.  Remember Minelab flubbed before. They didn't technically have wireless with CTX model.

Will this new model be USB compatible and be truly updatable.

Again CTX was a sham here in this dept. IMO.

I do expect a color screen.

So we'll wait and see.

I think Minelab's mistake with the update feature was in using it only for bug fixes. People assumed it would be a ticket to new free features every now and then. That may or may not have been in Minelab's original game plan but it is obvious from the complaints surrounding this that Minelab should have done something more. Some little update in any way, even if just cosmetic, and even if just once a year, would have been well received. Now there is just this vague feeling of a promise unfulfilled.

On the other hand my CTX comes with a wireless remote speaker that allows me to plug any headphone I wish into it. This is better than being stuck with proprietary wireless headphone solutions in my opinion.

• Like 2