Driving Off The Beaten Track

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 4:56 AM, Randy Lunn said:

Is it worth the extra cost for the Hi-Lift Extreme version?

I think so because the end clamp on the standard model is rated to 750lbs and the X-treme version end clamp is rated to 5000lbs and is more versatile and it has 3/8" Chain locking slots built in and the base plate is easily removable so you can use it for other tasks, where you need tools to remove the base plate from the standard model and the handle is Gold Zinc coated so there is no paint to wear off.

I bought the Red one years ago and there is nothing wrong with it, But I got the X-Treme because it makes so much sense, So I think yes it is worth it, IF you use the standard model for clamping or spreading being rated to 1000lbs the end clamp will break if you go over that pressure limit and of coarse you have no way of knowing when you are getting close to the limit, Although they can lift and pull 5000lbs and they are tested to 7000lbs.

The X-treme can clamp 5000lbs,spread 5000lbs lift 5000lbs ?? (4660lbs) and pull 5000lbs and it is Tested to 7000lbs.Which is great because you only lift one side of the vehicle at a time, They are tough, Some U.S. Serving Guys in the Gulf even bought and exported their own jacks to have in their HumVee's, Although the X-Treme was not made then, see below.

http://www.hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/testimonials.html,

Hope that helps.

John.

• Like 1

John,are you taking the 4x4 to Aussie land or what is the long term location of the truck ??

1 minute ago, RickUK said:

John,are you taking the 4x4 to Aussie land or what is the long term location of the truck ??

No mate, The truck is here and I won't bother taking it to OZ, the cost of shipping would be a bit OTT, I would go there and buy a Troopy or a Cruiser Ute.

J.

• Like 1

Just now, auminesweeper said:

No mate, The truck is here and I won't bother taking it to OZ, the cost of shipping would be a bit OTT, I would go there and buy a Troopy or a Cruiser Ute.

J.

So basically it will be used just for going on the occasional detecting dig rather than being used in the bush it will be used for cruising in Shepherds Bush,the truck will look the part anyway :biggrin:

37 minutes ago, RickUK said:

So basically it will be used just for going on the occasional detecting dig rather than being used in the bush it will be used for cruising in Shepherds Bush,the truck will look the part anyway :biggrin:

By time I have finished it won't be no Chelsea Tractor, lol.

I think these will do :biggrin::laugh::laugh:

Insa_Turbo_Special_Track.png

• Haha 2

Good advice. Tire plugs and a mini Air compressor is what I carry into the back country for extended stays....having worked for Big O tires when I was 14 years old. Fixed many a flats. Nice video. 

strick

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Driving Off The Beaten Track
11 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

Hi Strick, That was a laugh. I felt bad laughing at the guys "misfortune", or was it more stupidity. But I couldn't help myself. Especially when he jambed his hand & again his reaction like when he smacked his nose. Maybe he should just stay in bed. An accident waiting to happen. I was actually waiting for the log to start rolling off towards the two that would have been in its path. I have no idea of these high lift jacks but just through reading this great post from auminesweeper I think I am up to play with how not to operated these jacks. Thanks for the laugh.

Thanks too auminesweeper & I wish you good health & good luck out there on your adventures. Look forward to hearing more as it unfolds. Cheers

JW :smile:  

JW,  thanks for your kind words life has been eye opener that's for sure,

Here ya go this is how to use a Hi-Lift jack correctly, any other way is asking for trouble,  after this video there are many more showing how to use it for other tasks,

take care.

John.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrfbR4REV-s

Hi John, always like to see how prospectors are preparing for remote trips. I take my troopy off track a lot and weight is always an issue as I go places where you cannot have any trailer attached. With Jacking I use two bottle jacks and a block of wood. My back up is a airbag jack (with a thick piece or tarpaulin to protect it). I have used it a lot in soft ground bogged situations.

For the benefit of anyone who is buying a tyre plug kit...they must be very solid steel like the one you have pictured. Spare reaming and plug insert needles are a must in case they bend/break.  Steer away from the cheapies with plastic hand grips, on a 4wd tyre the needles can actually break through the plastic and drive trough the palm of your hand as you try press the plugs in.

PS. I have seen many friends and prospectors outback with up to 8 plugs in their tyres...no worries. (although not recommended when you get back on the tar...keep speeds low).

Best of luck on your adventure.

RDD  

where to look.jpeg

• Like 3

RDD you can never have enough recovery gear in the bush, a lot of what I bought is through trial and error, Driving down an old logging/PMG track I once ended up with two wheels in the Air one on  the front and one of the rears, Not having locking Diffs I ended up with each wheel about 2 feet off the ground and I had to hand winch it back about 30 feet to get my truck back on its wheels, A Hi-Lift would have saved the day if I had one on board, I jumped out the truck and the seat base was level with my head.

I have the 9500lbs electric winch and a Tirfor hand winch and a small hand winch for minor jobs, It is faster to deploy and easier on the body than humping that Tirfor up and down the track, those Exhaust jacks/Bags are great in sand and mud, I have 2 of them one is a 3 ton one and the other is the bigger/taller 4 ton version, Touch wood I have not had to use them yet.

Because you own a Troopy, a 60" Hi-Lift would be a bonus, even more so with the off road base or a 2" X a foot square of turpentine,, I have used them to level my truck if I have been camping on a bit of a slope, I know I go on about them a bit but I keep finding a new use for them when all else fails.

Here is a useful little fridge/cooler, now I tested mine and this thing uses very little power, but this fridge/cooler is really handy because not only does it keep things cool but at the flick of a switch it can heat things up or keep hot food warm, It goes down to normal fridge Temps but it also goes up to around 65*c or 149*f and it gets warm pretty quick too, On the cold setting it uses 1.36 Amps and on the Hot setting it uses 1.14 Amps, so if you put food in there when you set off by the time you want to take a break its ready eat in an hour or two, or if the food is hot when you put it in there then it is ready when you are, The last one I bought lasted me about 6 years and they only cost about 30 or 40 bucks,, I use to lay 9 cans of coke in there so I had a cool drink on my way home from work, I also have a 29 litre version that runs on 230v and 12v which I am going to test out it's power usage because there are many stories where people claim that they use 4 or 5 Amps per hour but so far from what I have seen that must only apply to the huge ones because so far I like what I am seeing with these fridge/coolers,

John, 

small cooler.jpg

• Like 1