Driving Off The Beaten Track

Thanks Rick, In all the years I have been detecting here I have got by with just a standard 4x4, But this venture is a bit different in that it rains a lot and once I get off the sealed roads there is about 5miles of farm tracks and then it's more of a cross country Bash for a couple of miles or so to get to his camp,

As you know I have not been the best, so there is no way am I going to rough it, but it won't be 5 star living either and it will be an adventure if nothing else,

John. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, auminesweeper said:

Thanks Rick, In all the years I have been detecting here I have got by with just a standard 4x4, But this venture is a bit different in that it rains a lot and once I get off the sealed roads there is about 5miles of farm tracks and then it's more of a cross country Bash for a couple of miles or so to get to his camp,

As you know I have not been the best, so there is no way am I going to rough it, but it won't be 5 star living either and it will be an adventure if nothing else,

John. 

Sounds like you have all angles covered John with the new outfit,will be out tecting later on as the sun is out and the ground is good after a few days rain,and also a few freshly harvested fields.Pure bliss in my mind

• Like 1

Well this might look a bit excessive from an equipment point of view for UK standards but I have done a lot of research in to what is good and what I can do without, And a lot of the equipment I can use for other things too, so I have tried to spend the big money on the things that matter, Drawing a line between want and need.

John.

Must admit i thought my recovery kit cost me alot of 'wonga' all £48 for full 'Green Flag' recovery which includes bring you back home on the back of a low loader :biggrin:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, auminesweeper said:

These are the best jacks bar none, (Hi Lift)

John, thanks for plugging a company founded and still located near me in Southern Indiana.  I had one of those back in my early adventuring days (1979+) but eventually sold it about a dozen years ago thinking "those times are over".  WRONG!  In a year I'll be getting a new/used 4WD for prospecting out west and will definitely need another -- thanks for your advice and tips.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GB_Amateur said:

John, thanks for plugging a company founded and still located near me in Southern Indiana.  I had one of those back in my early adventuring days (1979+) but eventually sold it about a dozen years ago thinking "those times are over".  WRONG!  In a year I'll be getting a new/used 4WD for prospecting out west and will definitely need another -- thanks for your advice and tips.

Well I have owned my Red HL-485 since  around 2000-ish and The Extreme turned up a couple of months back, I won't use any other, I would rather not have one if it is not A Hi-Lift, I am proud that it is American designed and built, and I think we should support such companies regardless of cost, It was the American Hi-Lift that made me want one all them years ago and I feel the same now, No Hi-Lift, No Sale.

John.

• Like 1

here are my Hi-Lifts, the Red one I wrapped in plain cotton sheet because I have oiled it and I don't want it making a mess in my storage room, lol

EDIT:- If you own a Lifted Truck or a Hi Lux then buy the 60" version of either if these jacks because you will run out of height using the standard 48" models, And if you own a full size pickup you will also need the 60" models because although it might not be lifted, due to the weight of them you will find that it takes a lot of height to get the wheels off the ground because the springs compress quite a lot under the vehicles own weight so save your money and buy the big one,

hope that helps.

John.

My Hi Lifts.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the great post...If nothing else I was greatly entertained last night. I'll leave the high lift jacks to the experts...last time I was involved with one was about 30 years ago...  this guy is funny, 

strick

• Like 2

They warn you how not to use a Hi-Lift but so many people ignore the warnings, the key to safety using a Hi Lift is to keep both hands on the handle and you control the handle keeping both hands on it at all times, and hold the handle up against the upright when moving the direction lever, and then keep both hands on the handle.

John.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Driving Off The Beaten Track