Gold Monster Pinpointer Conversion

Starting out I followed the advice of my mentors (shofoo, master in Chinese...for fun if interested, I was at a party with a large group of friends and the conversation was directed towards me, I'm language isolated most of the time and was probably dreaming of looking for nuggets, it was something about our wives so I did the best I could on short notice with a compliment... I was dubbed holio shofoo, holio means very sweet saying sarcastically I think, we all had a good laugh and I still don't know what the conversation was about) anyway, Some time back discussions on here turned to which pinpointer played well with the GPZ and I gave it a shot with my trx. I seemed to have no issues with it in the off position as to affecting stability out running around, I don't know however if the trx adds to some other cumullitave impact with anything else on hand on the overall performance while hunting? After trying it I quickly gave up, because it seemed to much trouble, more to pack/forget, it false a lot around the Z so, I quickly gave it up. Lately however I've been trying to force my self to have a dig it all mentality and when I start to drop below say...90 % or so I quit hunting that location and move on or do something else. Finding all the tiny bit the z is able to see can be incredibly frustrating depending on the surface and how obstructed the coil. I gave the pinpointer a shot again and now find it handy mostly for getting the surface trash identified a little quicker. The 14 coil really pinpoints fairly well on either edge of the recieve coil, if I've got that right. Pinpointers also handy if I'm not giving too much up in the process in performance for narrowing down the dig as not to damage the gold. All is not perfect however, you need to get the coil of the 7000 as far as I can reach and that's not really enough to make the trx stable enough. so it's not always useful, sometimes it comes in handy, sometimes not...still like norvic's mod and think there is a place for a compact GM discriminating pinpointer with a 2 or 3 inch coil and make the whole thing water proof so you could use it in a river with head phones too, also I'd make the end recieve a paint roller extension...quick MineLab patent that.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

I've put a strap on it so I can carry it over my shoulder on my back too.  I've only got so many arms.

Good idea Simon. Yeah, recovering those 0.001 g metal wire trash with the 14 in coil can be really fun. So, I nice pinpointer would come in handy as the ML PF35 would not register that small trash at all. My only worry would be how to carry it comfortably while keeping it away as far as possible from the Z during long detecting sessions, and still not being overloaded from all the other stuff (hipstick, hydration backpack, pic holder, SP01, etc....). Also, turning the GM on and off each time while keeping the Z away as far as possible appears a bit cumbersome. However, very cool set up that you have with that short shaft !

Yes...  I've been thinking of doing the same thing as lately I've been using the Monster as a kinda "follow up" machine once I find a target with the SDC.  I hear a fluctuation in the threshold then dig a small 3-4" scrape then hit with the Monster 5" coil to get a better idea of trash or treasure....saves a LOT of digging and time recovering tiny crap using the Monster disc?  Problem for me is the Monster is my primary gold getter due to the trashy areas I normally hunt so I hate to shorten it up for "pin pointing/disc".  Now I just turn on both machines, leave the Monster in one spot, detect in cleaner areas with the SDC and find target, then go back and grab Monster and check, wash rinse repeat.  Kinda a PITA but still saves me lots of digging small crap and also pinpointing.  I do carry a ProFind which is fine for the bigger stuff and helps but I rarely use it and generally when pinpointing use the divide and conquer scoop method....

So far this season the SDC has recovered 25% of my piece count but has also got the bulk of the weight (biggest/deepest).  pretty impressed so far also as to how small the bits it can hit on are!

Bottom line is a hot VLF and a PI can work very well together (imo).  I guess I could scrounge up another 5" coil, affix to the short old broom handle and then make a quick swap out in the brush...????   hmmmm?

Might look into the telescoping shaft?  Phrunt, I like your mini Monster setup a lot!  I've just recently started backing up the SDC with the Monster and find myself doing it more and more. I will be improving the process before next season.....

think what I'll try next before any equipment changing is to take those small flags with the wire shaft and mark 10-20 targets with the SDC...then grab the Monster and check marked targets and pulling the flags up as I go?  That alone will shorten the back and forth PITA of grabbing different machines.....

just a thought.....

• 9 months later...

An update, the 6K with its 11" mono coil does not need a pinpointer thus the GM pinpointer has been taken off the backpack but I suspect once X coil have given us an aftermarket large mono/concentric coil with instructions on cable mods the GM Pinpointer will be back, for me it is the only pinpointer of practical use for deep gold when using large coils, other pinpointers for me are for coin hunting (please note the for me) although a 6K with a 4" coil for Z2 has potential but I`m a dreamer.

• Like 1