I was just mentioning some gold and telluride nuggets I had years ago. Long since sold. I totally agree about them being gold with included tellurides. "They are simply a mixture of part gold, part bismuth telluride".

I am probably just confusing the issue. My brain was hearing "gold" and "telluride" and not thinking "calaverite".

The Crystal Structure and Genesis of the Gold Telluride Minerals

• Like 3

Hi Steve… yes it is difficult to hold an informed discussion when we don’t have previous in-the-field experience to draw from… or a suitable sample to test. We know what other reliable people in the hobby have said over the years about detecting tellurides, and I’m content with that for now.  For most hobbyists, tellurides make for interesting discussion but do not factor into their metal detecting pursuits. Incidentally, I was subsequently in touch with our mutual friend in El Paso later tonight, but unfortunately he doesn’t know enough about them to offer any meaningful advice re: telluride detectability.

That said, below is that one exception I mentioned earlier in this thread. This gentleman is not familiar to me, but I accept that he did find it, and apparently a signal was produced by the ore for some reason. Potentially there are several very good explanations that we won’t pursue further now because I have to get packing to leave.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/544750-old-cripple-creek-sylvanite-high-grade.html

The main reason I commented to this thread was because I determined to have a conversation with you prior to heading north prospecting. We’ve been friends for many years now, and I think we should communicate about something technical at least once annually. So there it is, and I’m quite satisfied. Quite!!! :smile:

Take care Steve… have a wonderful autumn, and good luck with your detector-prospecting adventures.

Jim.

• Like 4

Like most minerals I am sure most ores containing tellurium are not in pure form, and so some may be detectable for various reasons. I can find diamonds with my metal detector - as long as some gold or platinum jewelry is attached.

You would be surprised how many posts I make on this forum are made from the field Jim. Another advantage of my move south. I don't find as much gold these days but I don't have to fight dense brush, bears, mosquitos, and rain on a daily basis either, so I think the trade is worth it. Right now my knee and shoulder are informing me that perhaps I need to to a little less detecting, not more!

Best of luck on your further adventures...

• Like 1

With age all of us tend to start feeling the effects of physical limitations and increased medical problems. In many cases such as mine, it is hard for people to adjust to the fact that there are just some things that we cannot do any more.

I always thought that when I got old enough that dredging and prospecting became too difficult, I could always fall back on detecting. I never even anticipated that I would become unstable enough that I could not walk on uneven ground. To even stand or walk on a flat surface requires me to use a cane at all times.

• Like 1

No worries Jim, I think we ran out out telluride steam anyway. I sympathize truly. One reason I retired early was a nagging feeling I might not have all the miles left in me that I like to think. It has a way of sneaking up on all of us eventually. When I can't roam the hills it will be parks and beaches for me, just another funny old guy with a detector.

That is one thing I like about northern Nevada. The generally low, rolling terrain is pretty friendly for older prospectors. I just wish there was more gold!

• Like 2

Thanks Steve and Jim Hemmingway for the additional input and information. I have had several people ask me if gold tellurides are able to be found with a metal detector and couldn't find information if that it was possible. The Colorado School of Mines has several gold telluride specimens that I could have available to me to test. I will let you know the results when time permits. Hopefully other forum members could chime in with additional information.

• Like 1

I have found several pieces of sylvanite and caleverite in the laplata mountains in southwest Colorado with vlf units and the falcon. Some pieces have masses of gold but some don't. The telluride is definitely detectable. I have some pieces I will post as soon as I have time.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Walker said:

I have found several pieces of sylvanite and caleverite in the laplata mountains in southwest Colorado with vlf units and the falcon. Some pieces have masses of gold but some don't. The telluride is definitely detectable. I have some pieces I will post as soon as I have time.

Now there is some solid information - thanks for posting Walker. Can't wait to see the samples!

• Like 1

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1588.PNG

• Like 2