Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

Deus High Frequency Elliptical Versus AT Gold

Published on Aug 4, 2017 - Testing the new Deus HF elliptical coil against the Garrett AT Gold on a gold earring.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that the elliptical coil will hit the 10" coin. I haven't heard a lot on this coil. I'm thinking that the 74 kHz with a little bit of disc added would be a beast in some of my old iron filled ghost town sites. Steve have u had a chance to do any testing with this Coil?

I have been more concerned with how the coil does for gold prospecting though I did give it a quick spin at the park the other day. Nothing not a PI will hit a 10" coin in my ground so I can ignore that. I do know that the 14 kHz frequency and the Garrett AT Propointer interfere but that can probably be cleaned up with a frequency offset.

I just do not think outright depth is what this coil is all about. It should have slightly better separation in dense trash than the larger Deus coils and will no doubt light up small non-ferrous targets better. But more depth on coins in the clear - I doubt it.

I will be putting this coil and other detectors to the test over this next couple months in order to sort out what stays and what goes away this winter but for now I just do not have enough hours on the coil to make any solid determination except one. As usual, if gold prospecting is the main goal, it is very hard to get general purpose detectors with multiple intended tasks to do as well as machines built from the ground up with only gold prospecting in mind.

Ya I doubt depth is what the coil is about, I doubt it will hit a 10" coin in most my Nv sites. I'm interested in separation and basically anything that will open up any old iron infested sites or give me any advantages. If u find the time to do any testing between that and the standard 9" that would be sweet. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Tnsharpshooter
      Here is a link talking about the version.
      Still unofficial, but I think we can see at least some improvements users will get when version is officially released.
      http://www.findmall.com/read.php?83,2406075
    • By Steve Herschbach
      The last half of this video shows a Garrett AT Gold being opened up. The information should be useful for Garrett AT Pro and AT Max owners also.

• By Steve Herschbach
      Despite all the noise about pulse induction (PI) metal detectors these days I firmly believe that in the United States most beginning and many professional nugget hunters are often better served with a good mid-frequency VLF. For beginners I think it is more important to master the real skills involved in prospecting before investing a ton of money in a metal detector. If you can't find gold with a $700 detector there is little point in investing thousands of dollars in a detector that still probably will not find the person any gold.

Perhaps a PI is required in most of Australia but I have seen very few places in the United States where a good VLF will not work very well or at least well enough. Certainly in Alaska that is the case, where low mineral ground and smallish gold is the norm. Even locations where large gold lurks are so loaded with iron junk a PI detector has a hard go of it. It is nearly impossible to convince die-hard PI users to accept this until they experience it for themselves.

One of the best detectorists I know has found hundreds of ounces of gold including two nuggets each weighing over a pound, all with a White's MXT. He also has a GPX 5000 and is very good with it. This last summer we hunted a lot together in junk infested tailing piles. I tended to use my GPX 5000 and he tended to use his MXT. We ran neck and neck for finds, and he detected less and dug way less junk than I. When all the shallow stuff is gone a PI shows its value with extra depth. But in target rich environments, especially ones filled with junk, a good VLF is a worthy choice.

Let's set the VLF versus PI thing aside though and accept for the purposes of this article that VLF detectors are still a good choice for many people in the United States. I know for a fact I could own nothing but a VLF and do very well indeed. So what VLF to own?

Two detectors stand out in their high operating frequency as dedicated nugget detectors, the Fisher Gold Bug 2 and White's GMT. I could make a great argument for why either of these detectors will eke out gold where other detectors fail and do it consistently enough that a skilled operator would be wise to own either one. However, I think overall a better case can be made that if a person had to own just one VLF detector, a mid-frequency model would be a better choice. There is much more versatility offered plus a better balance of performance on all ground types and all gold sizes than the hot high frequency models.

The contenders from the "Big Five" brands? The Fisher Gold Bug Pro (also sold as Teknetics G2), Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold, Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ, and White's MXT. All available for around $700 more or less. This is the choice I personally faced, and the decision took several years of use to settle. What follows is purely personal but I will explain why I ended up where I did.

First up, the White's MXT. Simply a superb detector, and one that has found me pounds of gold. Yet I am just going to go ahead and blow White's off at this point! Why? The weight. I am sorry White's, but at 4.3 pounds the MXT is the heaviest detector in this slug-fest. I love what the detector does, but I am no longer willing to forgive detectors with poor ergonomic factors, weight being the most obvious. In the 21st century, the day and age of the iPhone, poor ergonomics is not acceptable. The MXT needs to lose a pound, plain and simple. So I sold my MXT after one particularly arm wearing day.

Now the Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ is a great beginners detector in that it is very easy to operate, but it also gets put aside. The detector is locked in ground tracking at all times while in all metal nugget mode. This is great for beginners but I personally find it unacceptable. I almost never use ground tracking systems as they mess with the signals from weak targets. If there was a locked or fixed mode it would be fine. Worse yet, the alternative discriminate mode has a factory pre-set ground balance. Sorry, fail. Just my opinion, but the Lobo is way overdue for an update after 16 years on the market.

Garrett is to be commended for finally producing a waterproof detector that does not penalize the owner by weighing a ton and removing all the features. The AT Gold is a miracle in being waterproof and yet fully featured, with even the speaker being waterproof. And only three pounds with batteries! This detector is so wonderful I really do feel bad about taking a pass on it here also. Why? Sadly, the waterproof design also means special o-ring connectors for the coils and headphones. If you do not need the detector to be waterproof they are delicate connectors that collect dirt and require quite a bit of care to not mess up. The coil connection in particular is in a maddening location making it almost impossible to connect coils with bare fingers alone. A special adapter must be purchased if you want to have a choice in headphones. If you want waterproof the AT Gold is an obvious choice but I do not need waterproof for most of my nugget detecting.

So down to two models, the Fisher Gold Bug Pro and Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold. Both under the magic 3 pound mark! Both with extremely powerful all metal modes. So powerful that in all metal mode these detectors give the PI units a run for depth in most ground on most gold in the US. This was tough for me as the X-Terra has a far richer feature set than the Gold Bug Pro and for many all around users would be the better choice. But I looked at both from strictly a nugget hunting perspective where those extra features are extraneous to the task at hand. It came down to this. In all metal mode the Gold Bug Pro is simultaneously and separately running in discriminate mode. The audio response is pure all metal, but you also get the probable target id, when possible, displayed on the screen. Very deep targets will have no target id, which is why we are using all metal prospect mode in the first place.

The X-Terra 705 you can run in Prospect Mode or Discriminate Mode, but not both at once. This one thing leads to more efficient detecting with all the information you need on screen at once. The Gold Bug Pro gives you the target id, ground phase, and magnetic susceptibility reading all on screen at once while in all metal mode.

That is how I settled on the Fisher Gold Bug Pro as my all around do everything nugget hunting model. It is not a coincidence it is also the lightest of the bunch at only 2.5 lbs with battery and 5” round DD coil and 2.7 lbs with the 5” x 10” DD coil. It is a basic unit that gets the job done, and that appeals to me. Plus, it does just fine for coins, relics, and jewelry if I wish. if I could improve only one thing it would be to swap the position of the target id and phase readout on the meter.

I have to wrap this up by pointing out that these are all fine detectors. I can actually find gold about as well with all of them. The engineers have mid-frequency all metal detectors figured out, and in all metal mode these models are practically equivalent. Small nuances that help one model in certain ground cost it in another and it all evens out. So from a straight up all metal nugget hunting perspective I think a person can use any one of these detectors and be just fine. What differences there are show up far more when comparing discrimination features which are of little use to the nugget hunter.

With that said, the final lesson in this article is that it is all the other factors a person should be looking at when making a choice. For me it was just lightweight basic operation. But if waterproof is important, the AT Gold is a no-brainer. The Lobo is very forgiving for beginners simply because it is locked in ground tracking mode. The MXT is a superior all-arounder, and the X-Terra has various tone schemes and notch discrimination features common on top-end detectors. You can make the case for any of them depending on your own particular needs and desires in a detector, and know you will be well served for basic all metal nugget hunting capability. We are lucky to have so many fine choices, all at very affordable prices.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      The AT Max is Garrett’s latest machine following the AT Pro and AT Gold. The Teknetics G2+ is one of the First Texas 19 kHz variants (Gold Bug Pro, F19, G2, G2+)

• By Tnsharpshooter
      This will be the first fall and winter season for using these 2 coils.
      I have put quite a few hours on both coils this past summer and very early fall timeframe.
      I do note difference as of late since the temps are cooler and ground wetter with shorter daytime period existing.
      Elliptical HF coil seems to (using equal settings back in the summer) hit better more often on vertically positioned nails in the ground.
      Round HF coil back in the summer, this hitting on vertically suspended buried nails practically nonexistent, but with wetter ground seems happens sometimes, but not near as often as with using HF elliptical coil on Deus.
      This data above is reflective of using Deus with both coils in the same site(s) as I did back in the summer/early fall.
      Don't take this info wrong, I love both coils, are deadly in iron and higher mineral soil.
      Not all nonferrous when swept with either coil will yield textbook tone/ signal either.
      Just this afternoon late back in the area where I recovered old Spanish coin, I get a signal using round HF coil, a signal that would only high tone half the time when sweeping what I considered (perfect to near perfect) position and speed.  Digging suspect target yielded a very thin piece of lead.  This area remember busted countless times with Deus and LF coils.
      I will go on the record here now, based on my testing and use of the round HF coil, comparing and testing against 9" LF coil, from a providing a nonferrous tone/signal on buried objects perspective it is my opinion the 9" round HF coil has made the 9" LF coil obsolete.  Remember how I conditionalized my comment here.
      Using the 9" LF coil does give some advantage depending on the target scenario for ID (give better odds of IDing higher conductive target) since the LF coil can be run at lower freqs than hf coil with NO Vdi normalization selected.  
      So it is my opinion XP might should consider at least for the relic Hunter a Deus package already packaged with either of the HF coils in lieu of LF coils.
      This would obviously save relic hunters interested in Deus some bucks.