Guest Jennifer

GPZ 7000, A Look Inside

Guest Jennifer

Have you ever wondered what's inside......... I know you have...... I have.......

While I'm Ukranian, I don't understand Russian but it sure was neat to see how much they've crammed onto the boards inside our GPZ's.

Jennifer

Guest Jennifer

It's nice to see so much SMD (Surface Mount Device) use and the double stacked boards. Notice the monster ferrite to reduce RFI/EMI on the coil connection lead. It would be interesting to see this compared to a CTX3030.

I assume it's out of warranty but I'm sure the folks at Minelab have noticed the clearly shown serial number and made note that if it wasn't before, it is now.. (grin)

Jen

Jen,

Thanks for the video.  This looks like the 'main' boards because the connectors for the screen chassis and coil are hardwired to the board.

I had my screen chassis replaced.  I'm told in addition to the screen there is a board in there also.  I think it controls things more than just the screen.  Maybe it has the other adjustment settings as well?

When I went to update the system after I got it back it required a complete update.  I don't know if it requires a coil to be attached but mine was.  It takes the main boards and the screen chassis to run the full software.

Mitchel

Steve,

Now that you see what it looks like, maybe you can stick one in a box like the ATX? grin

• Like 1

Never again! Though you could saw the pod off the top of the GM1000 handle and wire to a much smaller 12V power supply...... :laugh:

3 hours ago, LipCa said:

Steve,

Now that you see what it looks like, maybe you can stick one in a box like the ATX? grin

Lol, Frankenzed. 

Whoa!!! I always thought the danged thing was full of sprockets, cams, pulleys, bevel gears.prawls , latches, bearings, shafts, pinions, bell cranks, clevises, and maybe a few solenoids, ballast resistors and mercury switches. It's become obvious that an idiot like me has no hope of repairing the thing.  I'm simply devastated.

Thanks for sharing the video.

• Like 2

Yipes.  It's kind of shocking to see that with all the tech Minelab has available, their $8,000 detector has failed here (or at least is hobbled) due to a bad solder joint.

Guest Jennifer
1 hour ago, MDdetector said:

Yipes.  It's kind of shocking to see that with all the tech Minelab has available, their $8,000 detector has failed here (or at least is hobbled) due to a bad solder joint.

In all fairness to Minelab, we have no idea how old this unit is or how rough it was treated. The cost of an item is not directly proportional to its need for repairs, I've owned much dearer (more expensive) items that needed much more expensive repairs than this and much closer to the purchase date... I have 2 BWM M5's and they've both been expensive to keep running, if you want the best, you have to pay for it.

Dont judge the build quality without knowing the history of the unit.... :smile:

Jen