The Gm-1000 Explained

I just found this video about the GM-1000, One thing that I have noticed about the GM all along is that it has a fairly fast GB system and this can work against a person, Anyone who has owned certain Whites machines will already know the effects that a very fast GB system can have on target response which is why most of us who own or have owned such machines prefer to work in fixed / or lock the tracking,

I have always thought that Minelab's tracking systems have always been a bit on the lazy side when it comes to speed where as Whites tracking systems can GB them selves within One or Two pumps of the Coil, The GM has about the fastest tracking system ever fitted to a ML machine and I think this is why loyal ML users are having trouble with the GM, because in some settings it will track out targets where as some Whites machine will hold on to some targets when in the Tracking mode,

So if you find that signals keep vanishing with your GM just stop swing over the target and ground balance over a fresh piece of ground to your right or left of you and then re-sweep over the target area, The GM machine is not alone in this tracking out the target and it is not a fault in the machine either, It is doing what a tracking system is meant to do in tracking out the ground and if there is a target in that ground then it will be tracked out, This is why many of the testers have said that "Once you have found a Target" that you should sweep past the target so the GB systems stays focused on the ground and surrounding area and not the Target,

In this video you will see and hear what happens when you keep swishing the Coil over the targets and see and hear it vanish before your eyes, This is very important for you Lads and Lasses who swing them big ML thumpers that ground balance at sun up and sundown, The Gold Monster is a rocket ship in comparison, Not as fast as some but quicker than most anyways I hope this helps,

John.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hey John

Thanks so much for posting your video and a all positive one too. You may never know how much it help others but with me I'll take all the help I can get. By watching yours and others I'll spend less time learning in the field and more time hunting.

Thanks again.

Chuck 

3 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Hey John

Thanks so much for posting your video and a all positive one too. You may never know how much it help others but with me I'll take all the help I can get. By watching yours and others I'll spend less time learning in the field and more time hunting.

Thanks again.

Chuck 

G'day Chuck, It's not my video but I thought that people needed to see it because it is detecting 101, There has been so many misguided comments about the GM but I think it is one of the most misunderstood features, and an easy mistake to make.

Most of the videos out there show people fighting with the Gain and the Auto feature where the signal disappears and people are misinterpreting  what is actually happening in the Auto mode, where what is in fact happening is the machine is ground balancing out the faint targets "Not" loosing sensitivity / Depth,

Having to sweep either side of the target might sound like a real pain or strange but it is very much the norm when we are detecting and the only difference is we stop walking,

I am glad it was useful, and if you have time let us know how it works for you,

good luck,

John.

John

Come this Saturday I'll be on my way to Colorado to give my GM 1000 a test. This is not the first time I've had this trip planed but I've found out long ago your life is not your own.

I will report back with you here after my two week trip. On that video it may have not been yours but anyone going out for the first time with the GM 1000 it will put them ahead of the game as a nugget hunter.

The great thing about this Forum is so many people like you just want to help others. About the best thing I could offer you is I'd come there and dig for you.haha

The Best to you.

Chuck

• Like 2

No worries Chuck, don't forget to take a camera of some sort,

Chris R's second video is another one to file in a safe place because he shows you how the GM will wipe out unwanted targets, be it hot rocks or Iron etc

Good luck on the Gold, Fingers crossed for ya mate.

John.

• 3 weeks later...

Well John I'm back and I can't say all is well on the home front. I went to Colorado and not all went well with the GM 1000. I too had trouble with some meds my witch Dr. gave me before i left making me to cut my trip short..

i'd park myself on the east side of the Arkansas River above  Buena Vista to start my first hunt. I checked first as I look down the shaft to be sure all is in line. All went well until I turn my GM 1000 on. No matter what setting I put the GM or the coil I used I got nothing but false-ing. I got this when i'd swing to the right on the side the cable came out of the coil. I tied down the cable at the coil like some said this would help. One stem of grass would give me a false signal.

I've seen along the Arkansas River that black sand would build up in a pocket one to two feet deep So my thinking that the mineralization was so high it was beyond what the GM could handle. The other trouble was the first time I hit a rock the shaft turned and being the coil is on the part it too done so. Another thing the GM is top heavy and the stand needs to be wider so not to fall over every time you put it down on a slope.

When I got home on milder soil the trouble I did have didn't show up anymore. Hope to get out with it again before I pass judgement on it . I think like all VLF detectors in hot ground will have it limits.

Chuck

Sorry to hear of your troubles Chuck Some of the things Doctors give us can knock us sideways, Hope you feel better soon,  One thing I always do when I get a new machine when I have put it together is then check all the Non standard connections like where the Coil lead goes in to the coil because 9 times out of 10 they will be only finger tight and some of them have been very loose and I hate the thought of getting water in there or even worse like having the wires come completely out. So you need to get that sorted with ML asap. Yes it sounds like the mineralization was way too high, were there any Basalt rocks in the area ? I know they effect VLF's to the point where nothing works, I had one area where I could not put the coil within 12 to 14 inches from the ground,  Which is another reason I bought a PI, but I only use it if I have to,

Chuck have you detected in that area before or was this the first time you had been there ?

J.

16 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

When I got home on milder soil the trouble I did have didn't show up anymore

That is very odd, that you would have problems with coil sensitivity at one place and not another. The only difference bring ground mineralization, and therefore presumably the ground balance setting.

• Like 1

John

This was my first time in Colorado with a detector in my hand to nugget hunt. In past years I was there running a dredge. The main reason this time just because it was a cooler place to nugget hunt. The spot I was testing the GM is one place I'd camp in the past but was not the place I'd plan to hunt. Most of my nugget hunting would have been at 8 to 10 thousand feet but the way I was feeling that was out.

Steve

The area I was in the mineralization is extremely high. I went back and forth from one coil to the other. Each time I would tie down the cable coming out of the coil but that had no effect on the false-ing. i don't care what settings I put in the GM it all gave the same false-ing. It still detected but as always one stem of green grass gave a false signal when went the swing was to the cable side of the coil. If i'd pick up the coil each time on my swing and just swing it away from the cable that would have fixed my trouble.

At home the signal coming out of my GM is smooth as glass. After this Hurricane pass I'm  headed to the beach to gave it a try there.

I want all to know in no way I'm i giving up on my GM 1000.

Chuck 

• Like 1