Sign in to follow this  
kiwijw

GM 1000 & Zed Gold

beatup    252

JW you do one heck of a job getting those bedrock cracks cleaned out.

IdahoPeg    268

Nice bit of gold! Love the story and pics....video too! Thanks for sharing. :-)

Lunk    749

Awesome, JW! Hard earned gold, well worth the effort.

phoenix    432

Terrific report mate and nice gold :smile:      And as always, good pictures 

• Like 1

kiwijw    1,337

Thanks every one for your comments & kind words. The gold in the schist bed rock cracks & crevices is the nature of these old timer workings that they ground sluiced. These are the bits of gold they just really had no chance of getting down to & the beauty today of having electronic eyes & ears in the way of detectors. Having said that though there are areas where the old boys have broken out & levered up the bed rock. So they were fully aware of gold being down in the schist. While a lot of the schist is quite soft & rotten when I first start peeling it out. Once I get down a wee bit it certainly strengthens up & there have been times I had to go back to my wagon & get a cold chisel & hammer. Some digs can take a bit of time to get the gold in hand. Especially when it gets down a bit & the signal is still in the bottom of a deep tight crevice & the schist has strengthened up & doesnt want to peel off & break out. It is truly amazing how some gold pieces work their way down into these crevices & the gold being well rounded & water worn. Many of these pieces of gold, while small, are quite chunky & not squashed flat or flakes. Headed out again this arvo & scored three more little bits with the Zed. Cheers guys.

Good luck out there

JW :smile: 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By kiwijw
      From our local New Zealand online detector fossicking forum.
      http://community.paydirt.co.nz/t/garden-carats/1903
      Good luck out there
      JW

• By Chris Ben
      I went out to Gold Basin last Sunday for a few hours. Covered lots of ground and was able to dig up 3 nuggets and a meteorite.  Gold Basin is finally showing me some love. One was a nice 1.4 gram heart shape, and the other was a 2.5 gram specie. 4.2 g total.
      Chris
    • By kiwijw
      Hi guys, I have had some old timer sluiced gully workings up in the high country on my mind ever since getting the Zed. I was spoiled for choices of other places over our summer to go back over with the Zed & due to the hell walk into this high country area I gave it a miss. Then with winter upon us & snow down into this gully area it was a no go. But over the last week we have had a spell of warmer weather with rain & not snow. Rivers are up due to snow melt & gazing up to this high country area could see the snow line was crawling out of it. As we are in mid winter this warm spell I am sure is only going to be short lived. I was going to tackle it on saturday but it had rained hard that night & was looking very threatening during the morning. So I waited to see what sunday would dawn like.
      Sunday was much better so I made the call to go. I loaded my back pack up with my detecting gear. Pick, pick belt,  Pro swing harness, B&Z booster & speakers, WM12, Scoop, 10x6 GM 1000 coil, Thermos of coffee, Smoko bag of tucker, Headlamp just in case I got caught out in the dark coming home. Had all batteries charged up. I decided to take the GM 1000. How could I not as there was some exposed bedrock where I had done quite well on with my 4500 & the little 8x6 Nuggetfinder sadie coil & knew there had to be some smaller gold that the GM 1000 45khz would sniff out. I half pie dismantled the GM 1000. That consisted of sliding the control box just down past the top of the second rod assembly & unscrewing the top end section with the arm cuff on it & sticking that in the back pack. I then strapped the Monster to the side of my pack & lugging the Zed over my shoulder for the two hour slog up up & up. Wasn't looking forward to that part.
      (If you click on a pic once it goes thru to flicker & if you click on it again it goes full screen, well it does for me. Just gives you more detail on some of the scenic shots. Enjoy)

Oh well...pack on back....& off we go.
      This isn't even half way. The old original pack track behind me disappearing around that bluff & up thru the gorge.

Back in the day It wasn't easy work to do. Though people laugh when I say that now. But it is easy for them to travel the track that has been cut in the mountains brow.  And cut in the mountains brow it has been.
      Looking ahead.You wouldn't have wanted your pack horse or yourself falling off there.

And looking back

We are about half way at this point.
      Looking down into the creek a few patches of snow in the shadows

I came across the exposed bedrock patch & I decided to hit it with the monster on the way up. I usually left it for the way back but like I have done in the past I had left it too late & was running out of day light & had to give it a miss. So I dropped pack & rigged up the little monster & got into it.
      First signal in less than a minute & dig in the schist gave me two small bits of gold. That schist just being the perfect gold trap.

The first bit

As usual running in manual 10 sensitivity & deep all metal mode. Volume thru internal speaker set one notch down from max.

Yes, a little touch sensitive but I knew the gold was going to be tiny & didn't want to miss any signals. So just kept that careful coil sweep & control to avoid hitting the surface too much.
      Some cracks & crevices gave me two pieces & one gave me four.

It was almost as if the old timers had used this run of bedrock as their tailings race as it was in this run of bedrock that the gold was caught up in.

Four pieces came out from this dig

After cleaning out what I could I had to move on to hopefully bigger & better gold further up.
      I was happy with the little play with the monster in this bedrock & was rewarded with 18 pieces. Total weight .67 of a gram  Fun though & no catch & release.

Got up a lot further & stopped for a well earned & deserved coffee break.
      Looking down one of the main gully workings. You will see the turned over nature of the gully floor & the piles & humps. Sluiced areas up on the left & right slopes & the odd patch of snow.

Looking up further & where I was headed for.

After a wee break it was off again & up up up.
      Got to where I wanted to be & rigged up the mighty Zed. Come on baby. I haven't come this far for nothing....or had I??
      10 minutes I had a faint little signal. Down into & beautiful rich top soil. Looked so good I could have eaten it. Na...not really. But then the signal was out. Oh no...just going to be rubbish.

NOT....Ye Ha Not big though. Story of my life....

Then another very very faint signal...or was it. Scrape away at the grass & not 1 inch down on to bedrock schist. Signal strong now & raked out the schist. Signal out & on the coil.
      How small is that for the Zed & that 14" coil.

Just in case you cant see it.

Have I ever mentioned how the Zed & this 14" coil blows me away with the small gold it pings??
      There must be a bigger bit with my name on it. COME ON.
      Another sweet little signal. Scrape scrape.

Oh man...at least it is gold.

I then noticed BLACK as clouds building up in the distant mountains & heading my way. Oh no...the distant mountains disappearing within & looking like snow. BUGGER. I need to get out of here. I was heading down a old wash/tailings race gutter that showed patches of bedrock. I got an ugly loud sharp signal that had shallow trash written all over it. I stepped down slope of it & turned around & approached it from down hill. Yep ugly signal, but then thought l got another more mellow signal just below it by about 4 inches. MMMmnnn hard to say. Different signal or edge of the first sharp signal. I scrapped away at the lower end of the sharp signal & the mellow signal came through a bit clearer & had me convinced it was a separate target. I was now peeling out schist rock by the slab. Signal mellow but getting better all the time. Mor dig, more schist out. This was proving a difficult little sucker. I was now convinced it was going to be gold.

It was.

A very flat thin piece. Wasn't even half a gram. Man I thought it was more than that when I first saw it...until I had it in my hand. But I will take it. It was now starting to sleet on me so I was out of there quick smart. Day cut much shorter than I wanted for the effort of getting into here. Them the breaks.
      So all up ...not even 2 grams. Looks more than that hey. 18 for the Monster & 6 for the Zed. BIG effort put in to get those.

Until next time. Cheers
      And Good luck out there
      JW
    • By Lunk
      Summertime just doesn't get any better than swinging a beat-up nugget patch with old friends and new detectors. Shout out to Steve in Idaho and Shane; let's do it again soon. 

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys, Headed back this arvo for a few hours to where I finished off on Sunday. Took the Zed & the GM 1000. Even though it is the middle of our winter It is a good time to get out there. The grasses have have really withered back & so to have many of the weedy plants & bushes. Opens up quite a bit more ground & makes it easier to get the coil in to many spots that when the growth is rich & strong you have no chance. My first sweet signal was just such a spot. It was on the top edge of an old timers tail race that had been cut deep into the schist & the briar rose bushes had backed off a bit in the winter conditions. My prunning shears helped a bit too, but that was more just to cut an access way in to some bed rock schist that I had done well on in the past & had not had the Zed in here. Got a faint sweet signal between two briar rose bushes. Scrapped away the top soil until the schist bed rock was showing.

Signal still in there so had to lay in to the dig a bit harder peeling out the schist. Here we go again.
      The beauty is that these type digs down into the schist are always gold.
       Signal finally out & a sassy bit of the good stuff.
      Moved on to another area that I had thrashed in the past. I got a faint but positive signal on top of some loose broken up schist that the old timers had dumped. These kind of signals are usually rubbish from the old boys. I scrapped away at the broken up bits of schist & to my surprise I was straight on to smooth worn bed rock schist. Had no idea there was any bed rock there.
      The signal was still coming from the bed rock but I couldn't see any thing. So I got the little Monster on to it. It read non ferrous. I couldnt see any gold so thought it was going to be a shot gun pellet. The bed rock was pretty smooth but I put the pointy end of the pick in to a small crack in the schist & raked it out. Signal had moved. Whittled it down in the scoop & yes....shoty pellet.
      Well I thought so at first & came pretty close to chucking it to the bushes. But it is in fact a little shot gun pellet size & shape of gold. You wouldn't think so looking at it in the picture.
      How small is that for the Zed. Incredible.
      I dont know why...but I headed over to where I got those 5 bits of gold on Sunday & went back over the same ground again. To my surprise I got a very faint whisper. Same old scenario. Scraped off the top soil.
      Exposed the schist bed rock
      Signal still in there but getting better. Smashing in to the bed rock schist
      Down in to a crevice
      The depth again with the Zed on a small bit of gold. Still blows me away. loving it.
      Signal out
      That was it though. 2 hours later & nothing more. Getting dark...time to head off. Three for .96 of a gram.
      Cheers guys.
      Good luck out there
      JW
    • By phoenix
      It`s been pretty lousy weather here for the last few days, but I got out for a couple of hours today.  This is my biggest piece in about 6 weeks and is my very first piece this year with the 19" coil    2.1 grams. Dave

image upload free direct link