fredmason

Most Effective 19 Inch Coil Cover

Hi Steve, Thank you for you reply. I am always interested in "new" coils & can they be any benefit to me & my detecting. After market coils for the my GP & GPX's certainly paid off. It is good to have seen the results (both positive & negative:rolleyes:) from others out there with the 19" coil & just what type & what size & what depths the gold has been. Your last sentence pretty much sums it up for me. I had pretty much written off any thoughts of this coil being of any benefit to me quite early on, except like you said, a niche coil for oddball situations & then it can pay off. But yes our gold is on the small side & the Zed still blows me away with the depth it is getting these small bits at.  A lot of places I detect the ground just isn't suitable to swing that 19" coil. Either too steep, too rocky &/or too much growth to negotiate.   A lot of it is a struggle with the 14". What I would love is a smaller coil for the Zed. I will always be looking out for how it does for others & hope your next mission out with it rewards you well. Can't wait to see the results. Cheers.

Best of luck out there

JW :smile:

Hi Fred,

Like others on this post who made their own for the 19" ,  I did the same. I bought a sheet of 1.5mm Clear Lexan Makrolon Polycarbonate, for $45, long enough to make one for the 19" coil, and I made one for the stock 14" coil also. I cut it, and used a heat gun to form it around the coil for a snug fit. I made the front form fit the 19" coil, to help eliminate any dirt from going on top of coil. Here are some pics of making it.

Dave.

8.jpg

7.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 7

Fred,

Thank you !!!  I used 3m Flexiclear body seam sealer, it makes a strong bond, and is a synthetic rubber,  I can also remove it without damage. I would not recommend epoxy, unless you want more of a permanent attachment. Any strong bond/ silicone will work.

Dave

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Northeast
      Maybe a new thread if you have the time JP.  "How to target large, deep gold with the GPZ?"  Is it your conservative settings or something different again?  How does the audio differ, etc? 
      There are bits and pieces (linked below) that maybe all add up to an answer but if there are any other secrets you want to add JP,  I'll listen 

• By WesH
       I have been painfully considering a purchase of a 7000.  Seeing the gold a friends 7000 is getting that seems to be out of reach of a 5000 is giving me reason for this consideration.  However with the areas I used to have access to that facilitates the use of the large coils are being lost due to development and I would have little or no areas to go that there would be a benefit to the large coils.  If Minelab would make a small coil like the 11 inch diameter that is stock with all the other models up to the 7000 it would justify a purchased.  I wonder if it’s the technology in the electronics that will not work with a small coil.
    • By Rail Dawg
      Seeing some barely-used gpz 7000's coming across the auction block.  
      Weren't there early ones that had issues?
      If so how were these issues resolved?
      How can you tell if the unit on the auction block is not one of these?
      Having not owned one yet I'm a little behind and appreciate any feedback.   
    • By ken
      Hello Johnathan the GPZ 7000 has been out for a while now, is there any plans to do a DVD. I could see how a soft ware upgrade could potentially make it harder to give any advice on settings as upgrades come along. Or is the whole thing a big head ache.
    • By rockett
      Hi all  does anybody ground balance there machine as per instructions then leave the machine on the ground with ferrite under the plate ?
      I did this while i was getting the rest of my gear ready and it really made it quieter , in very  hot ground.
      The machine was sitting there for about 5 to 8 min approximately. 

• By mlgdave
      I updated to the latest firmware in september, sunday when I was detecting I would lose my sound through the wireless, I plugged in headphones and no sound from the machine through them either EXCEPT for turning it on, and also when the WM wireless connects I hear that (but probably from the unit not the headphones)
      Anyone else have issues, I do see 2 other threads but have tried both fixes including updating again. No dice, need the GPZ!
      mlgdave