Broke My Ferrite Ring

Yup, I wrapped my ferrite ring in bubble wrap.

I can toss it anywhere (and have), and it's protected perfectly.

The main benefit of the ferrite is in locations totally lacking in it, like an alkali flat. The ring provides the ferrite balance, and the new Semi-Auto update allows you to lock the ferrous balance in, otherwise the detector will track to the salt and lose the ferrite balance. For ground with naturally occurring ferrite, like most soils in the U.S., you will see little to no benefit to using the ferrite. But it sure does not hurt and is not a bad habit to develop.

Most (all?) detectors have a factory set ferrite reference point, so it is interesting that the GPZ tracks ground ferrite content separately. Yet waving the ferrite under the coil and locking the ferrite balance channel is not so different that just providing a factory preset point. Just one of those finer points technologically in the GPZ that is different than most detectors, and no doubt some good technical reason for why it is the way it is. I just don't know the reason, except to guess it helps under certain ground conditions to track the ferrite content as it actually is in the ground instead of a preset factory setting.

From http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/313856/4907-0942-1 Brochure, GPZ 7000 Software Upgrade No.2 EN.pdf

Click for larger version...

minelab-gpz-7000-ferrite-balance-settings.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Steve. 

A few of us were postulating this question over on PA.  Do you mind if I paste the link on there for this thread?  

I'm almost more confused now though :tongue:    

In auto mode: 

- my Australian ground has naturally occurring ferrite (I assume) 

- but I ferrite balance with the ring. 

- during the session the Z slowly auto balances to the ground ferrite. 

- I am diligent and check X balance every hour or so, and if out, I X balance with the ring and a Quick Track again. 

Why wouldn't I just let the Z utilize the ferrite in the soil?  Wouldn't that actually give a more specific X balance to that particular spot than a broad spectrum ferrite ring?  

1 hour ago, Northeast said:

Why wouldn't I just let the Z utilize the ferrite in the soil?  Wouldn't that actually give a more specific X balance to that particular spot than a broad spectrum ferrite ring?

Have found no benefit using the ferrite to the Zs operation in the country I prospect, in fact only use quick track when the mode I change to forces me to, as when recently after the upgrade. In fact have not quick tracked nor used the ferrite all season until the upgrade. Is my method right or wrong, the manual tells me it is wrong. I guess it is just one of those individual settings we gather to handle the ground we detect.

All I can suggest is try detecting without using the ferrite or quick track as a test, but a warning do not put your Z into the back of the ute whilst it is on. Bouncing around in the back of the ute puts the auto GB data that your Z has gathered way out of wack, done this a few times and now ensure I turn the Z off before I turn the wireless remote off. I just feel the Z is more stable if the auto GB or now semi-auto GB is allowed to collect its data without quick tracking as you do when you use the ferrite. Works for me at present but always keen to try anything that ups the productivity.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Norvic said:

I just feel the Z is more stable if the auto GB or now semi-auto GB is allowed to collect its data without quick tracking

Mmmmmm, that's what I'm starting to wonder.   And if in a new location and I do quick track maybe the walk-and-sweep method might be more betterer...:unsure:

For me definitely walk-and-sweep is more betterera.............:wink: Crikey Northeast have you done some time up here in the wacky north.

• Haha 1

I have been advised that if someone breaks the ferrite ring, just put the pieces in a plastic bag and continue to use it – this will still work as it is the amount of ferrite material that is important, not the actual shape that is important.

This will be better than using another ferrite that is the incorrect material. Just because ferrite rings look the same, it doesn’t mean they will be suitable – they could actually degrade performance if the wrong material type is used.

From the Minelab Knowledge Base Article at http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/313856/4907-0942-1 Brochure, GPZ 7000 Software Upgrade No.2 EN.pdf

"A ‘dust iron’ toroid suitable for the HF frequency band (e.g.1–30MHz with an initial permeability of between 6 and 10) has been carefully selected. It is recommended to use this specific Minelab accessory, only. Alternate ferrites may significantly degrade ground balance quality."

As far as the ferrite and personal use, I do it myself at the start of new sessions because it is the best recommended operating practice. I can't swear I see differences between whether I use it or not, but I also do not usually see a need to fasten my seat belt every time I drive. Why bother today? Because maybe today is the day it will help!

As far as my ground goes and referring back to http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/313856/4907-0942-1 Brochure, GPZ 7000 Software Upgrade No.2 EN.pdf -

"Auto is the recommended setting and should give the best results for the majority of conditions"

GPZ 7000 Tips for Better Ground Balance

Gold Detecting in Difficult Ground Conditions

IMG_0553.PNG

• Like 6