So, just one more issue during my Outing...

I have been in the habit of tossing my ferrite on the ground...foolish me. They break into many pieces...so no more tossing...

I wonder if the ring can be super glued back to one piece and function correctly? Or is it more like a metal ring that no longer gives the same signal once the circle is broke?

Or do I need a new one?

so many questions....

fred

Fred, not sure if re gluing effects performance, but if you get a new one,  wrap  with a bit of bubble wrap and tape to protect it, and you can continue to happily  toss it on the ground. It works for me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gluing it back together is probably going to change it's values. To be honest I haven't used mine since after the first couple of times. I still question weather it improves detector performance in the areas that I hunt.

thanks, Klunker;

what happened to my death-defying ride in your jeep...I waited sooooooooooo long for you...

haha

fred

Fred, my brother did the same thing to his,he used a non metalic epoxy and gluded it back together it works just find, i would tell the name of the epoxy but i can not remember.

no worries, I ordered another...

just for fun I will glue this broked one back together and see if it works...

fred

I have left my  ferrite ring in the same plastic bag that it came in complete with the little instruction page. I leave it all folded up in the side zip pocket on my detector housing cover. It just lives in there. So no chance of forgetting it or losing it. The bubble wrap is a good idea for a bit more protection.

Klunker: I re-ground balance over the ferrite EVERY start of a session & every time I turn on the detector again & numerous times during a session. Well I guess I more just chuck it on the ground, carefully, throughout the course of a session just to CHECK the balance. I don't always have to actually re ground balance but other times, like yesterday, I had to re ground balance a couple of times. Same goldfield area but different locations on it. If I were you I would revisit ground balancing more often. Maybe you do check every now & then & find you dont have to. But just saying. :biggrin:  You have got to have that perfect ground balance at all times & it can change in a footstep.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

Off topic but sort of on topic as to where the thread is going :blink:

If you use semi-auto now do you need to re ferrite balance during a session considering the Z holds 100% of that info?  

What exactly is the benefit of semi-auto over fully auto?  

Mine (f ring) is wrapped in orange paracord that also has a 3/4" loop of extra cord I use to hang the ferrite off of my detector harness. The cord protects the ring and the bright orange color makes it easy to see on the ground.

• Like 1