• Announcements

• Steve Herschbach

Archives Closed - New Forums   10/16/2017

The old archive system has been closed and the threads moved to new forums. See the full forum listing here. Detailed explanation here.

2 hours ago, Norvic said:

I just feel the Z is more stable if the auto GB or now semi-auto GB is allowed to collect its data without quick tracking

Mmmmmm, that's what I'm starting to wonder.   And if in a new location and I do quick track maybe the walk-and-sweep method might be more betterer...:unsure:

For me definitely walk-and-sweep is more betterera.............:wink: Crikey Northeast have you done some time up here in the wacky north.

• Haha 1

I have been advised that if someone breaks the ferrite ring, just put the pieces in a plastic bag and continue to use it – this will still work as it is the amount of ferrite material that is important, not the actual shape that is important.

This will be better than using another ferrite that is the incorrect material. Just because ferrite rings look the same, it doesn’t mean they will be suitable – they could actually degrade performance if the wrong material type is used.

From the Minelab Knowledge Base Article at http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/313856/4907-0942-1 Brochure, GPZ 7000 Software Upgrade No.2 EN.pdf

"A ‘dust iron’ toroid suitable for the HF frequency band (e.g.1–30MHz with an initial permeability of between 6 and 10) has been carefully selected. It is recommended to use this specific Minelab accessory, only. Alternate ferrites may significantly degrade ground balance quality."

As far as the ferrite and personal use, I do it myself at the start of new sessions because it is the best recommended operating practice. I can't swear I see differences between whether I use it or not, but I also do not usually see a need to fasten my seat belt every time I drive. Why bother today? Because maybe today is the day it will help!

As far as my ground goes and referring back to http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/313856/4907-0942-1 Brochure, GPZ 7000 Software Upgrade No.2 EN.pdf -

"Auto is the recommended setting and should give the best results for the majority of conditions"

GPZ 7000 Tips for Better Ground Balance

Gold Detecting in Difficult Ground Conditions

IMG_0553.PNG

• Like 6

Thanks, Steve;

I did just put the broked pieces in a plactic box...seemed to work...now I will have two...a whole and a lot of pieces.

fred

2.5 years in the NT Norvic and about 8 months in Broome/Derby in the west. 

Reasonable schooling and a couple of family members are the only things keeping us in Vic. 

We nomad'd with the kids for a year. We all loved it but no stable friends was an issue for the kids.  My wife and I would live on the road if we had the chance.  

I haven't had a chance to catch up on reading any of the stuff you've put up SH but it looks like it'll keep me entertained for a bit. Thanks :wink:

(edit: read it now. That ground balancing in difficult conditions was good. I don't think I'd seen that one before.  Thanks again). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Northeast said:

We all loved it but no stable friends was an issue for the kids. 

Don't knock it, some of my funnest friends have been the most unstable (hahahaha)...

NAAAAARFFF!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By jasong
      Does anyone have a vid link to a nugget going low-high (filmed after the update only) that shows how deep it was and how big the nugget was?
      On nuggets up to 40 grams I still cannot get a low-high signal with just one exception and that is squirrly little wiry or thin flaky pieces that flip between high-low and low-high, and with some regular pieces when they get really close to the coil they will flip between the two as well. 
      I had a 65 gram slug of solid smelted gold and it was going high-low on the GPZ. It was low-high on my 45 though.
      What I'd really like to see are the types of gold that are low-high from beginning to end, no matter how far from the coil. If anyone has some links or has such a nugget and could toss it on the ground and film it I would be very grateful.
      One reason I'm wondering (ok, don your tinfoil hats) is low-high is so often iron now that I can't help but wonder if discrim might be possible with ZVT tech and there may be some kind of "discrimination update" coming in the future.
      Also, bonus question: can anyone show me a case where General is outperforming High Yield in depth and sensitivity and what exactly the type of gold (weight/sponginess/etc) is that causes such a thing to occur? Or ground type if that is causing the difference. We see it on the ML chart (or it would appear that way but we don't know for certain due to omission of actual sample defintion), but I haven't found a case with my gold where it happens yet so I'm curious what to look out for or if I should just give up on going back with General after HY unless I have gold past a certain size threshold.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Hopefully this clarifies things for people!
      http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/274444/KBA_26-1%20GPZ%207000%20Tips%20for%20Better%20Ground%20Balance.pdf
    • By Atlas
      Hi all,
      New to the Forum and have a problem I hope someone can help me with.
      Well I think the ATX (used) I recently got is down for the count

After the initial park test where the machine worked as advertised I took it to the lake for a water hunt. It was running real quiet and smooth at the first two beaches. Scored a silver ring and St Christopher medal on a chain Good frequency scan and GB. At the third beach I got a low batt indicator and did a battery change back at the truck.

Upon returning to the water the machine was acting real erratic with lots of false signals and LED indicators flashing up to the 7/8 range and even locking at this level. I thought well maybe its EMI or drift so I checked with my buddy who is running an infinium and he said his machine was purring like a kitten. So I did another factory reset and decide to run in ground tracking. I was still getting signals but hard to hear the faint ones with all the falsing.

I checked the battery compartment when I got home and no leaks.   Batteries were in proper polarization and no reversed cells.  So I decided to take it to the park today where I originally tested it with a fresh set of batteries. Did Freq Scan and GB. The GB seemed a little off from when I first got the machine. That is when I press the button and get the two tones I'm not hearing much ground signal. I noticed this at the lake also. Anyway tried to run and with the coil stationary I'm getting a pulsing signal from 1-4 LED range and spiking up to 7/8 range. The signal then locked at 8 and wouldn't go away without a reset but then continued the pulsing. So I decided to do a factory reset and that's when it got interesting. Usually on a factory reset I get two tones followed by the 4 battery check tones. The machine went straight to 4 tones with no LED display. So the machine is on and making spurious noises but no LED's are on. Did this a few times with the same results.

So I put the machine away and got my GP3000 out as a control test. The 3000 noise canceled and GB'd in this park fine and I dug a few signals till the rain started. Anyway this kind of rules out that there was some type of crazy EMI that can't be eliminated.

Next I called the local dealer who sold the machine to the guy I bought it from and he thought it might be the coil. back at the house I slid the shaft out a bit and had a look at the coil wire connector. Put in a new set of batts and checked the coil connector for leaks saw none but where the wire goes into the black connector there is some type of rubbery gasket material that is squeezed out a bit. Any way I fired up the machine and it went through a normal cycle with LED's and did the frequency scan but still getting that spiking signal. I can turn sens down and bring that signal down but then cant hear test targets through the signal at the low sens level.

Dealer told me to call Garrett on Monday and that is the plan. I think there is still 6 months on the Warranty but well see.
      Anyone have similar problems? I have this message posted on the ATX forum and a member there suggested testing my machine with a known good coil.  Anyone in the Reno area with an ATX and a good coil that I could use as a  test on my machine? I know that's a lot to ask but and maybe not even a good idea.   Maybe Steve will know?
    • By KS Stick
      ON the Dankowski forum Monty had some detectors stolen. He sure could use some help
      http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,132968
      Stick
    • By kiwijw
      Hi guys, I have done a goggle search on this & have come up with nothing. I thought I saw an article on here about it but a search showed nothing here either.  I thought there might have been something printed on the box to help out.....but no.  Is there any thing I need to know or is it all pretty easy really? Thanks for any help or advise. 
      JW  
    • By Reno Chris
      So a couple weeks ago I was out detecting with my GPX 5000 and all was going well. Steve Herschbach and I were hunting a spot where there are several patches in a comparatively small area a few hundred yards up to a quarter mile apart. At the last place of the day, I took out my GPX and turned it on, and it sounded weird (the 5000 goes through a specific set of tones on boot up and I know what is normal). I looked at the display screen and it was off - it looked the same as when the detector is off. It was making some faint sounds and I waived some metal objects past the coil and it did make a weak sound as the metal went by - but it was obviously malfunctioning and with the screen off, I could not adjust the sound upward even if I wanted. I tried a second power cord and that made no difference. I tried another coil - also no change. So I sent the unit into minelab for repair. They rebooted the unit to all the factory presets and it worked fine. Apparently this happens sometimes that the computer gets itself set to some weird setting and it wont run right  unless reset to the presets. Turning on and off is effectively a partial re-boot, while retoring factory pre-sets is a full and total reboot. Sometimes that is what it takes.
      So, the moral of this story is.........

if you find that your Minelab GPX 4000 to 5000 model seems broken, try a different power cord, try another coil (both these I already knew), but also try rebooting to all the factory preset settings.
      Here is the procedure from the GPX 5000 manual:
      To restore all Factory Preset settings: 1.Turn the detector off. 2. .Press the On/Off switch down and hold until the Reset Defaults menu appears (approximately. 5–6 seconds). 3. Turn Function Select to the right to select All Settings (as shown on the diagram). 4. Turn Setting left or right to restore all Factory Presets.The detector will restore Factory Presets and re-start.   Just thought this falls into the category of stuff worth knowing if you own a GPX detector.