Steve Herschbach

Gold Monster / Golden Mask Rod Adaptation

Steve, where did you buy the Golden mask rod?   Thanx,,..........        D.

The 2nd supplier is the one that i bought my GM shafts early last year,use mine all the time on my Deus,terrific shafts especially for the Deus coil,as i mainly just use the detector without the controller as i usually have mine in my pocket and just use it as a audio only machine.

But must admit i love the way that Steve has grafted the Gold Monster control box onto the shaft,work and looks very well.

• Like 1

Almost there. Better fitting clamps, upper rod extended 6" with 3/4" PVC pipe, and drilled to fit Golden Mask armrest. About 32" collapsed and 5 feet fully extended! Weighs 3 lbs 7.7 oz (3.48 lbs) or 1.58 kg with rechargeable batteries installed. A few little tweaks yet to do but basically this is a done deal.

minelab-gold-monster-1000-golden-mask-telescoping-rod-conversion-collapsed.jpg

minelab-gold-monster-1000-golden-mask-telescoping-rod-conversion-extended.jpg

• Like 1

Nicely done job Steve. Great little back packing unit. Sweet.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

Thanx Steve, I like the compactness of it.

Gold Monster fitted with a bamboo shaft. Very lightweight. Just a little bit of sanding to make it easy for the stock clamps to fit. The Jungle Monster. 

20170811_140958.png

20170811_140930.png

2017_081114_0832_078.png

• Like 5

GOSH....what next?....people will be using bloody broom handles. :laugh: Doesn't look very back packable though, unless you used the bamboo for a walking pole & chuck the rest in your pack. :smile:

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Northeast
      Having a bit of fun with the GM 1000 so thought I might chronicle my finds in the one spot (if that's allowed??). 
      Went out this afternoon with the literal dog, the figurative dog and the 3 hounds (the kids ). 
      Took the GM to a spot where I had been before with the SDC and the Zed and had never found anything but rubbish.  Old quartz vein site that had been pretty well smashed by the old boys.  Lots and lots of targets with a little bit of sign of previous detectorists but I am assuming they were put off by the rubbish too.   
      Today I strapped on the big coil for a bit of a change.  Have almost exclusively used the little fella as I think it's a bit more stable and sensitive - although I have absolutely nothing to back that up with.  
      A few small pieces of lead and a bit of ? tin.  And one nice little specie 👍🏻  Also had a bit of a noise in the quartz wall but it was hard to get close enough so will be heading back there with the little coil to get a better swipe at it.  
      Only out for about 45 mins so plenty more to this story (hopefully )

• By billdean
      I have noticed when using my monster that it really sounds off when bumping into rocks weeds and such. Especially on auto or auto plus or higher sensitivity manual.   I think I have finally figure out what seems to be going on and was wondering if and one else has noticed this. Where the cord attaches to the coil there seems to have a little to much movement in the cord and when you bump something it is actually the movement of this cord that is making it sound off. I have taken some velcro and rapped around the cord so the cord can not move when the coil is bumped. Kind of stretching the cord to the shaft to minimize movement.  It seems to help a lot. Anyone else notice this or is my machine defective?
    • By Doc
      Offered on Ebay
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Docs-Essential-Rod-Kit-and-Accessories-for-Gold-Monster-1000-Metal-Detector/322903192432?hash=item4b2e87b370:g:yKoAAOSwTmtaGS5v   Gold Monster 1000 Metal Detector NOT Included

Doc's Essential Adjustable Rod Kit and Accessories for Minelab Gold Monster 1000
      Manufactured and Distributed by
      Doc's Detecting Supply
      Henderson, Nevada

No one can dispute what an amazing detector the new Minelab Gold Monster 1000 is.  However, there are some design considerations that the average gold prospector may find frustrating.

Included standard with the Gold Monster 1000 is a three piece screw together rod that is non adjustable.  These three pieces form one rod set and in order to change coils, you have to remove one coil from the end of the rod and attach the other coil. 

This Minelab standard three section screw together rod can be nice for travel.  However, in actual use, these three rods have a tendency to want to become unscrewed.  (I recommend putting a piece of electrical tape around each screw together joint to prevent them from becoming unscrewed.)   There are no tie wraps included to secure the coil cord to the rod, this can cause the detector to false when the loose wire bumps a bush.
      The Minelab provided plastic scoop is angular in design, and can actually get rocks caught where the scoop is molded to the handle.  It is essential to have a nice rounded bowl type scoop that can work like a mini-gold pan to isolate those little nuggets. HERE'S WHAT YOU GET! Included with Doc's Essential Rod Kit and Accessories are: One (1) high quality light weight real carbon fiber upper with 7 adjustment holes so you can find the exact length to suit you.
      No more rods coming unscrewed from itself. Two (2) 28 inch lower fiberglass rods, one for each of the 2 coils  that come standard from Minelab with your Gold Monster 1000 (detector not included).  No more unscrewing the coil.  Simply switch the rods with your coil already attached. 4 real VELCRO® brand tie wraps, 2 for each rod to make sure your coil cable is securely attached. 1 Heavy Duty high quality Treasure Scoop. *We use authentic Gorilla Glue® brand glue in assembling our upper rods and lower rods.  Gorilla Glue expands as it dries.  Accordingly you may find some excess dried glue on the rods.  This is perfectly normal and does not effect the functionality of these high quality products.  The excess glue will wear off with use. 
      **Doc's Detecting Supply is a Certified Minelab® dealer.
      ***G.M. "Doc" Lousignont, Ph.D. is one of only a handful of Minelab Certified Gold Machine Trainers in the United States. 

QUESTIONS?  CALL Doc 1-800-477-3211
    • By Andyy
      My apologies if this has been covered.  I did some searches and did not find answers to the question.  
      I have a GPZ with headphones (Sun Ray Pros) and would like to use these on my new Gold Monster 1000.  I have tried the typical stereo conversion cable and it still did not work.  By not work, I mean the sound stays on speaker.  It did not work for Sun Rays or Black Widows headphones.   But of course, the original GM1000 headphones *do* work.   But we all know how cheesy those are.  So far, the only solution I have heard involves opening up the headphones and making permanent modifications.  Has anyone else been successful at this?   (see my attempted conversion cable below..)
    • By TerryinHawaii
      I am using the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 here in Oahu.  So far I have found 16 gold jewelry items.  And yes, I do dig a lot of tin foil and many small pieces of other types of metal.  Most of the time, I can operate in manual sensitivity level 9 or 10.  In some areas, I do have to switch over to auto sensitivity + to be able to hunt.  I do have high hopes for the Equinox 800 here. 
    • By Andyy
      I've been tossing around Steve's idea of using the the GM1000 (5" coil)with the shaft adapter to drastically shorten for use pin pointing.  But I know this detector is very sensitive on the small stuff and was wondering if anyone has had issues with the detector circuitry setting off the coil.  I have mine on a 2.5' broomstick and don't notice much difference.   But it is difficult to tell.