Jennifer

Classifieds Related Question, Sell GPX As Combo Or Alone

Jennifer    524

Hi guys n gals.... well as I start accepting the fact that I'm going to be keeping Zeddie and selling my beloved GPX-5000, I have a quandry (peer pressure, being laughed at and being locked in the school lockers every day on the gold fields can be a very powerful thing :rolleyes:).

Over the years, I've tried to sell coils individually on the forums and ebay and have been saddened with the lack of interest or having to sell them low ball. I've built up a HUGE coil (and extra goodies) collection on my GPX and am wondering what luck those of you who HAVE sold a detector on the classifieds have had with selling as a combo and not have to deal with the coil (and extra battery etc) selling separate or have you had more luck/made a better profit parting it out, selling a basic detector?

I guess it depends on what your own tolerance is to spending the next 6 months flogging the coils off but do people buy GPX's really pay what all the extras we have are worth or have most of you just sold the package cheap to not have to deal with the dramas?

It saddens me to sell it but alas, as both Jim and Chris say "a detector in the closet only finds dust".

Jen

• Like 1

Steve Herschbach    7,491

It is just a fact in selling used items that you will usually get very little for included accessory items. I sold used boats, snowmobiles, and other stuff including metal detectors as part of my old business. A boat buyer is looking for the boat and comparing used prices. They are buying used to save money. They usually will pay no premium for all those wonderful deluxe additions to the boat. They will simply say they did not want that stuff but are happy to take it - for no more money or a pittance.

Same with detectors. If you load a used item up with a bunch of accessories and price accordingly, you are shutting yourself out compared to other used models that are just going with basics at a low ball price.

Long story short you may get more money selling these items separately instead of essentially giving them away as part of a package deal. In practice they will only get what they are worth used and that has nothing to do with what you paid for them. I use the eBay "Sold" listings to get in the ballpark, and then I lower my price until an item sells. Things are only worth what you can sell them for, not what you imagine you have invested in them. You either sell them for what you can get - or keep them

I still package coils up with a detector sometimes simply because it takes more time and effort to make several separate sales and I just want to get shut of the whole mess. But I usually sell just the basic detector, and then sell the accessory items separately if I figure I can get $100 or more for them separately. Lower price items may not be worth the hassle and better off included with the package.

I see garage sales where people price it all high, and then at end of the weekend it all goes back in garage. What was the point? When I have a garage sale there is nothing left when it is all over. I price to sell, not price to keep. I always start high and then just ratchet down until the item goes away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jennifer    524

Thanks for the thoughts Steve, my thoughts are along the same lines...... especially when I have extra batteries, I'll never get that money back and there's no need to bundle an Evo coil in that I know I can get better money for separate.... so that's what I'll probably do, sell it as the basic as sold from Minelab and part the rest... thanks again for your taking the time to share your thoughts.

Jen

LipCa    232

My thought is that if you sell just the detector alone, you have to price it low enough to be attractive..

On the other hand, you may be able to get the price higher on the detector if you include enough accessories  to make it attractive.

If you sell the detector with one coil, the potential buyer is probably thinking they will have to buy a different size/type afterwards anyway to make a complete package.

• Thanks 1

~LARGO~    92

I have the same issues with trying to sell my GPX 5000.  A local Minelab dealer looked at it, and said it looked just like new, with  not much more than 50 hours in the field.  I have 8 or nice coils for it,  offered everything for one price, which was what the used GPX5000's are selling for currently, and thus far, just one call...  People want you to give everything away.  I sold a brand new unused 2100, and a huge amount of Doc's batteries, chargers and extra coils on the forums, and Bob Dansie, who you never hear about anymore on the forums bought it, saying "I don't know why I am buying this, I don't need it, but the deal is too good to pass up."

Best of luck, Jennifer!

~LARGO~

• Like 1

fredmason    1,005

When I sold my 5000, it went with several coils, the new minelab harness that came with the 7000 and some other stuff. The sale price was no where near the retail price paid for it all.

When I sell it is because I want to be done with what I am done with...that usually means some one got a real good deal.

Nontheless, I was happy to lighten my load and they were happy to shoulder the burden.

• Like 2

mn90403    786

Jen,

As you can probably tell I'm a bit of a contrarian so here goes ...

You need to sell YOUR package as a Jennifer package and get a premium.  All of these other guys (with the exception of Steve) are nobody s and couldn't get a premium on their sale if they tried.  Who is that Fred guy anyway??  What did he ever find? 

You (and your detector/coils) are special.  :rolleyes:  You should ask a premium and tell everyone how much gold you found with all of it.  Can you imagine the cachet someone will have when they tell everyone that I bought Jen's detector?  Wow!  (Tell everyone that you'll sign it with the sale.)

Largo mentioned Bob Dansie (Montana) and I remember a few years ago he was going to sell his stuff.  People would have paid some extra for it but instead he gave it to his daughter. 

Don't sell yourself too short and don't sell it to someone who knows too much!  When you hear the magic words out on one of your trips and they say, 'I wish I had a 5000 like yours' then you tell'em 'You can have this one for $$$' and do the deal.  Give them lessons with the sale and tell them the 'personality' and it will be a good marriage.

Mitchel

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

~LARGO~    92

mn90403's magic words: would these work?  lol                                                                                               ...I remember the time I got a super faint signal in my headphones from my GP 3000.  Scrubbing the ground with my hand laid Nuggetfinder 12 x 15 or was it 16 inch elliptical coil?...  No matter, a signal is signal, in my mind's I could almost see dirty gold deep in the ground.  It wasn't long until my brow ran with sweat that began to run into my eyes, burning all the while, the sound of GOLD becoming ever louder in my ears as I scratched at the tapering hole.  The dusty dirt I had dug from the reluctant earth was becoming high, too high, and I needed to move some of the stuff so I could get a better angle, a better stroke of my pick, which now was becoming too long to manage, and I had to go get a smaller digging tool to manage further excavation.  Damn the ground!  It's untouched and now I know it, by the fact I was virtually upside down as I dug towards what was now a near impossible task...  I must have a LEAST 3 or four wheelbarrows of dirt collecting around me now, and STILL no gold.  Well, I am about tuckered out just in the telling of the story...and it IS all true. I finally found what had driven me to such untold greater depths in the Mother Earth than I had ever dug before.  A galvanized plumbing fitting way down... 

~LARGO~  

• Like 3