• Announcements

• Steve Herschbach

Archives Closed - New Forums   10/16/2017

The old archive system has been closed and the threads moved to new forums. See the full forum listing here. Detailed explanation here.
Jennifer

Classifieds Related Question, Sell GPX As Combo Or Alone

Hi guys n gals.... well as I start accepting the fact that I'm going to be keeping Zeddie and selling my beloved GPX-5000, I have a quandry (peer pressure, being laughed at and being locked in the school lockers every day on the gold fields can be a very powerful thing :rolleyes:).

Over the years, I've tried to sell coils individually on the forums and ebay and have been saddened with the lack of interest or having to sell them low ball. I've built up a HUGE coil (and extra goodies) collection on my GPX and am wondering what luck those of you who HAVE sold a detector on the classifieds have had with selling as a combo and not have to deal with the coil (and extra battery etc) selling separate or have you had more luck/made a better profit parting it out, selling a basic detector?

I guess it depends on what your own tolerance is to spending the next 6 months flogging the coils off but do people buy GPX's really pay what all the extras we have are worth or have most of you just sold the package cheap to not have to deal with the dramas?

It saddens me to sell it but alas, as both Jim and Chris say "a detector in the closet only finds dust".

Jen

• Like 1

It is just a fact in selling used items that you will usually get very little for included accessory items. I sold used boats, snowmobiles, and other stuff including metal detectors as part of my old business. A boat buyer is looking for the boat and comparing used prices. They are buying used to save money. They usually will pay no premium for all those wonderful deluxe additions to the boat. They will simply say they did not want that stuff but are happy to take it - for no more money or a pittance.

Same with detectors. If you load a used item up with a bunch of accessories and price accordingly, you are shutting yourself out compared to other used models that are just going with basics at a low ball price.

Long story short you may get more money selling these items separately instead of essentially giving them away as part of a package deal. In practice they will only get what they are worth used and that has nothing to do with what you paid for them. I use the eBay "Sold" listings to get in the ballpark, and then I lower my price until an item sells. Things are only worth what you can sell them for, not what you imagine you have invested in them. You either sell them for what you can get - or keep them

I still package coils up with a detector sometimes simply because it takes more time and effort to make several separate sales and I just want to get shut of the whole mess. But I usually sell just the basic detector, and then sell the accessory items separately if I figure I can get $100 or more for them separately. Lower price items may not be worth the hassle and better off included with the package.

I see garage sales where people price it all high, and then at end of the weekend it all goes back in garage. What was the point? When I have a garage sale there is nothing left when it is all over. I price to sell, not price to keep. I always start high and then just ratchet down until the item goes away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the thoughts Steve, my thoughts are along the same lines...... especially when I have extra batteries, I'll never get that money back and there's no need to bundle an Evo coil in that I know I can get better money for separate.... so that's what I'll probably do, sell it as the basic as sold from Minelab and part the rest... thanks again for your taking the time to share your thoughts.

Jen

My thought is that if you sell just the detector alone, you have to price it low enough to be attractive..

On the other hand, you may be able to get the price higher on the detector if you include enough accessories  to make it attractive.

If you sell the detector with one coil, the potential buyer is probably thinking they will have to buy a different size/type afterwards anyway to make a complete package.

• Thanks 1

I have the same issues with trying to sell my GPX 5000.  A local Minelab dealer looked at it, and said it looked just like new, with  not much more than 50 hours in the field.  I have 8 or nice coils for it,  offered everything for one price, which was what the used GPX5000's are selling for currently, and thus far, just one call...  People want you to give everything away.  I sold a brand new unused 2100, and a huge amount of Doc's batteries, chargers and extra coils on the forums, and Bob Dansie, who you never hear about anymore on the forums bought it, saying "I don't know why I am buying this, I don't need it, but the deal is too good to pass up."

Best of luck, Jennifer!

~LARGO~

• Like 1

When I sold my 5000, it went with several coils, the new minelab harness that came with the 7000 and some other stuff. The sale price was no where near the retail price paid for it all.

When I sell it is because I want to be done with what I am done with...that usually means some one got a real good deal.

Nontheless, I was happy to lighten my load and they were happy to shoulder the burden.

• Like 2

Jen,

As you can probably tell I'm a bit of a contrarian so here goes ...

You need to sell YOUR package as a Jennifer package and get a premium.  All of these other guys (with the exception of Steve) are nobody s and couldn't get a premium on their sale if they tried.  Who is that Fred guy anyway??  What did he ever find? 

You (and your detector/coils) are special.  :rolleyes:  You should ask a premium and tell everyone how much gold you found with all of it.  Can you imagine the cachet someone will have when they tell everyone that I bought Jen's detector?  Wow!  (Tell everyone that you'll sign it with the sale.)

Largo mentioned Bob Dansie (Montana) and I remember a few years ago he was going to sell his stuff.  People would have paid some extra for it but instead he gave it to his daughter. 

Don't sell yourself too short and don't sell it to someone who knows too much!  When you hear the magic words out on one of your trips and they say, 'I wish I had a 5000 like yours' then you tell'em 'You can have this one for $$$' and do the deal.  Give them lessons with the sale and tell them the 'personality' and it will be a good marriage.

Mitchel

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

mn90403's magic words: would these work?  lol                                                                                               ...I remember the time I got a super faint signal in my headphones from my GP 3000.  Scrubbing the ground with my hand laid Nuggetfinder 12 x 15 or was it 16 inch elliptical coil?...  No matter, a signal is signal, in my mind's I could almost see dirty gold deep in the ground.  It wasn't long until my brow ran with sweat that began to run into my eyes, burning all the while, the sound of GOLD becoming ever louder in my ears as I scratched at the tapering hole.  The dusty dirt I had dug from the reluctant earth was becoming high, too high, and I needed to move some of the stuff so I could get a better angle, a better stroke of my pick, which now was becoming too long to manage, and I had to go get a smaller digging tool to manage further excavation.  Damn the ground!  It's untouched and now I know it, by the fact I was virtually upside down as I dug towards what was now a near impossible task...  I must have a LEAST 3 or four wheelbarrows of dirt collecting around me now, and STILL no gold.  Well, I am about tuckered out just in the telling of the story...and it IS all true. I finally found what had driven me to such untold greater depths in the Mother Earth than I had ever dug before.  A galvanized plumbing fitting way down... 

~LARGO~  

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Mike Hillis
      Ok.  I got the individual tables posted so with all this information you should be able to identify both the type and weight of any rock you might find in a jewelry item.   I got all this information from a gentleman who went by the name, 'Pawnbroker _Bob' on Tom Dankowski's site.  Its been a long time, several years, since Pawnbroker _Bob has posted and I haven't been able to get a hold of him for permission to repost on this forum so I am going to link his Forum post here, along with all the table posts I've made so you can find this stuff in one place when you need it.
      I'll just tell you that its pretty cool to id and calculate your own gem stones, and speak with a little bit of knowledge when you are showing them or trying to sell them.
      Start with Pawnbroker _Bobs post and then reflect on the tables.  I would encourage you to save this info into your own personal libraries.
      http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,24105,24105#msg-24105
      Genstone Weight Conversion Chart
      Gemstone Identification
      Gemstone Weight Calculation Formulas
      Gemstone and Other Compounds Specific Gravity List
      and lastly, some more of Pawnbroker _Bob's posts around selling gems.  The thread is not long and he is the expert.  

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,23695,23791#msg-23791
      There you go.  All I know on the subject I got from someone in the know.  All in one place.
      HH
      Mike
    • By Mike Hillis
      Specific gravity list.
      Compound..............Avg sg.

Copal...............1.06

Amber...............1.08

Bakelite............1.26

Jet.................1.30 -1.35

Tortoiseshell.......1.30

Erinoid.............1.33

Celluloid...........1.38

Vegetable Ivory.....1.40

Ivory...............1.80

Kurnakovite.........1.86

Gaylussite..........1.99

Ulexite.............1.95

Meerscham...........2.00

Bone................2.00

Fire Opal...........2.00

Opal................2.10

Chrysocolla.........2.20

Stichtite...........2.2

Silica Glass........2.21

Natrolite...........2.225

Sodalite............2.13 -2.29

Alabaster...........2.3 -2.33

Obsidian............2.3 -2.6

Apophyllite.........2.3 -2.5

Thomsonite..........2.35

Hambergite..........2.35

Petalite............2.39

Mouldavite..........2.35

Obsidian............2.35

Tugtupite...........2.37 -2.57

Hauynite............2.4

Cancrinite..........2.45

Colemanite..........2.42

Leucite.............2.47

Pseudophite.........2.55

Howlite.............2.53 -2.59

Veriscite...........2.55

Elaeolite...........2.55 -2.65

Amazonite...........2.56 -2.58

Orthoclase..........2.56

Moonstone...........2.57

Sanidine............2.57

Moss Agate..........2.58 -2.62

Chrysoprase.........2.58 -2.64

Iolite..............2.59

Bowenite............2.60

Agate...............2.60 -2.65

Chalcedony..........2.60

Vivianite...........2.65

Peristerite.........2.61 -2.63

Aventurine..(fsp)...2.62 -2.65

Scapolite..(pink)...2.63

Sunstone............2.64

Quartz..............2.65

Amethyst............2.63 -2.65

Prasiolite..........2.65

Citrine.............2.65

Synth. Emerald......2.65

Coral...............2.68

Aquamarine..........2.69

Beryl (yellow)......2.69

Labradorite.........2.69

Pseudophite.........2.70

Onyx................2.70

Augelite............2.70

Tiger eye...........2.64 -2.71

Emerald.............2.71

Labradorite.........2.70

Aquamarine..........2.67 -2.71

Scapolite...........2.70

Calcite.............2.71

Pearl (natural).....2.71

Pearl (cultured)....2.75

Talc................2.75

Turquoise...........2.80

Serpentine..........2.4 -2.8

Steatite............2.7 -2.8

Lapis Lazuli........2.80

Beryllonite.........2.82

Jasper..............2.58 -2.91

Conch Pearl.........2.85

Prehnite............2.87

Verdite.............2.90

Pollucite...........2.92

Argonite............2.94

Dolomite............2.85 -2.95

Anhydrite...........2.90 -2.99

Datolite............2.95

Phenakite...........2.96

Nephrite............2.96

Brazilianite........2.99

Nephrite............2.90 -3.04

Danburite...........3.00 -3.07

Tremolite...........2.90 -3.1

Magnesite...........3.00 -3.12

Andalusite..........3.12 -3.18

Amblygonite.........3.03

Tourmaline..........3.02 -3.26

Lazulite............3.09

Euclase.............3.10

Zoisite.............3.10

Andalusite..........3.15

Kunzite.............3.16 -3.2

Hiddenite...........3.16 -3.2

Carborundum.........3.17

Fluorite............3.18

Spodumene...........3.18

Apatite.............3.21

Fibrolite...........3.25

Smaragdite..........3.25

Sillimanite.........3.25

Enstatite...........3.27

Axinite.............3.28

Ekanite.............3.28

Tanzanite...........3.28 -3.35

Diopside............3.29

Dioptase............3.30

Kornerupine.........3.32

Jadeite.............3.34

Peridot.............3.34

Purpurite...........3.35

Zoisite (blue)......3.34

Idocrase............3.38

Rhodizite...........3.40

Epidote.............3.45

Dumortierite........3.26 -3.41

Sinhalite...........3.48

Hypersthene.........3.45

Hemimorphite........3.45

Grossular (massive).3.50

Diamond.............3.52

Sphene..............3.53

Topaz (yellow)......3.53

Topaz (white).......3.56

Periclase (synth)...3.59

Gahnite.............3.58 -3.98

Rhodonite...........3.60

Rhodochrosite.......3.60

Spinel..............3.60

Grossular...........3.64

Benitoite...........3.67

Taaffeite...........3.61

Spinel (synth)......3.63

Hessonite...........3.65

Barytocalcite.......3.66

Benitoite...........3.67

Kyanite.............3.68

Staurolite..........3.70

Azurite.............3.80

Pyrope..............3.70

Chrysoberyl.........3.71

Alexandrite.........3.70 -3.73

Staurolite..........3.75

Uvarovite...........3.77

Malachite...........3.80

Pleonaste...........3.80

Demantoid...........3.82 -3.85

Chalybite...........3.85

Periclass...........3.80

Anatase.............3.88

Gahnospinel.........3.97

Celestite...........3.97 -4.00

Corundum............3.96 -4.01

Sapphire............3.99 -4.00

Ruby................3.97 -4.08

Painite.............4.01

Willemite...........4.03

Sphalerite (blend)..4.09

Glass...............3.15 -4.20

Zircon (green)......4.50

Almandine...........4.97

Spessartine.........4.16

Chalcopyrite........4.20

Rutile (synth)......4.25

Witherite...........4.27 -4.35

Smithsonite.........4.35

Barite..............4.50

YAG.................4.60

Zircon (blue,white).4.69

Chromite............4.1 -4.9

Pyrite..............5.10

Hematite............5.05

Strontium Titanate..5.13

Proustite...........5.57 -5.64

Cubic Zirconia......5.6-5.9

Zincite.............5.66

Crocoite............5.90 -6.1

• By Mike Hillis

Hereunder the standard formula

Round faceted stones: Diameter squared x depth x S.G. x .0018 = ct

Oval faceted stones: Length x width x depth x S.G. x .0020 = ct

Emerald cut faceted stones: Length x width x depth x S.G. x .0025 = ct

Rectangular faceted stones: Length x width x depth x S.G. x .0026 = ct

Square cut faceted stones: Length x width x depth x S.G. x .0023 = ct

Marquise cut stones, (navette): Length x width x depth x S.G. x .0016 = ct

Pear cut stones: Length x width x depth x S.G. x .0018 = ct

Square cushions:

Diameter squared x depth x S.G. x .0018 = ct

Rectangular Cushions:

Diameter squared x depth x S.G. x .0022 = ct

Square step cut stones:

Diameter squared x depth x S.G. x .0023 = ct

Rectangular step cut stones: Length x width x depth x S.G. x .0025 = ct Cabochon cut stones:

Length x width x depth x S.G. x .0027 = ct Average corner meas & belly meas for cushions,

L&W for rectangles, etc..

• By Mike Hillis
      Hi all, 
      This info was shared with me by Pawnbroker_Bob from the Tom Dankowski site in PM's back in 2012.  
      Gemstone Characteristics Table
      We have compiled a listing of the scientific characteristics of many different gemstones. This is a chart that displays at a glance the important information about each classification of gemstone and it's members. Enjoy!
      Gemstones
      This is a fairly comprehensive listing of gemstones with their specific gravity, Mohs hardness, index of refraction and gemstone family classification in alphabetical order. We color coded them to help differentiate between them (these are approximations and subject to error).
      Specific Gravity: Specific gravity is the number of times heavier a gemstone of any volume is than an equal volume of water; in other words, it is the ratio of the density of the gemstone to the density of water. For all gemstones listed in this table there is a scientifically determined specific gravity. You can use the specific gravity and a couple simple measurements to estimate the carat weight of a stone.
      Mohs Hardness: Hardness can be tested through scratching. A mineral can only be scratched by a harder substance. Therefore, a relative scale can be established to account for the differences in hardness simply by seeing which mineral scratches another. That is exactly what French mineralogist Friedrich Mohs proposed almost one hundred and seventy years ago. The Mohs Hardness Scale starting with talc at 1 being the softest and ending with diamond at 10 hardest, is universally used around the world as a way of distinguishing minerals. Simply put - the higher the number, the harder the mineral.
      Index of Refraction: All materials refract light, ie alter its angle. The amount by which light is refracted is an important feature of every gemstone. The measure of a material's refractivity is known as its index of refracton (R.I.). Without going too deeply into physics, light travels at different speeds through different media. When light passes from one medium to another, its path is altered (bent) and it is said to be diffracted.
      Gemstone Family Classification: The gemstones listed here show every color in the rainbow. Even with such variety of colors, patterns and shapes - they can be broken down into 16 different families based on their chemical composition.

• By Mike Hillis
       If you are going to hunt jewelry you need to know how to size your stones.
      Gemstones Weight Conversion charts
      All Weights Are Approximate 1 MM = .03937 inch

• By tvanwho
      I was going thru my junk and found a gold bracelet that I had always thought was gold plate cause it was mostly brown with some yellow underneath? On closer examination, the clasp is clearly marked 14 K underneath by where the chain attaches and it does feel heavy. I got this ages ago with my Tesoro Lobo, before I had a metered machine.Just tested it with my MXT and 6 x 9 coil and it reads VDI 26-30, Pulltab/Ring on Coin mode and in Prospect mode,it reads 10% iron id which sure sounds like nonferrous to me...Does 14 K gold really corrode like this? How do I clean it up? Maybe I better take it to my coin dealer and see what he will give me ? It is about 8 inches long, 1/4 inch wide and 1/16 inch thick. Photos attached,taken with my new used Canon SX 50.
      -Tom