Reports Of GM1000 5" Coil Touch Sensitivity

I too on the 10 inch have done the same as you. i don't see that anyone would cause them self a problem doing it like your picture shows.

Thanks for the picture.

Chuck

Bill Southern's response from Minelab...

http://nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/topic/30883-mike-c-falsing-fix/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-282546

"They are still working with the info coming in to see what can be done to lessen it, but it seems it is not all of the coils doing it large or small and if you have a coil issue contact them about it and they are always glad to help. If for some reason your coil is bad it will be replaced...."

Affixixing your cable properly on the lower rod is very important on hot detectors. Nothing crazy, just like I have in my photo above. Go straight up for at least the lower rod portion and leave just enough loop at the bottom to accommodate coil angle adjustments.

I have had my GM1K out several times and found gold a few nuggets.

My opionion is that in really hot ground this GM should take the day off.

the GB2 is more flexible with its adjustment to accomplish the task there.

But in more favorable ground I will be waiting for my wife to set the GM1K down so I can use it.

it will pick up targets deeper and louder than the GB2.

obviously has its areas where it shines and struggles.

so far no falsing issue just major ground noise in hot ground.

I called in yesterday on one of Minelab's local number and the recorder said they would call me back within 48 hours. Well that came true today. I was told that Minelab had one of their Engineers from Australia coming in and he she would be testing all the GM 1000. I'm sure in hopes they can isolate the problem and can be a easy fix.

I was given a return number and waiting now for a shipping label at Minelab's cost. In due time for us that have a problem with our GM 1000 Minelab will get it fixed.

Chuck 

• Like 1

Mike C on Bill's forum made a statement that he wish he could turn off the auto ground balance. The more I think about it just maybe the trouble is that the ground balance is not coming on. It would be big trouble in Colorado but no problem back home in mild ground. 

????????

Chuck

There is a difference between touch/knock sensitivity and ground responses due to setting the manual sensitivity too high or improper ground balance. If the unit is not ground balancing properly it would be sounding off on the ground or hot rocks. This is not the same thing as a coil being touch sensitive. Part of the problem for Minelab is sorting out what people are really encountering.

• Like 1

Hi Ridge Runner

It'll be interesting to see the outcome and how they fix the falsing issue.

They replaced mine last week but unfortunately the new one straight out of the box has the same issue I was really hoping it was just perhaps a small run issue eg the person who did the coil had a hangover on the Monday or was in a hurry to leave on the Friday!!. Lol

But unfortunately this wasn't the case !  But I'm sure minelab will resolve the issue as quickly as possible! as let's face it no one likes an issue to slip through the process or making a mistake somehow I know I sure as hell don't !  

But no one's perfect and I'm sure they'll be straight onto it, as they'll know how any bad publicity isn't any good for business or future sales.

I'll be sending another email off tomorrow and another phone call after the email is sent. 

This was how I'd had mine secured but at the end of the day it's not a permanent fix and it still falsed when the hose touches or tap anything.

IMG_0215.JPG