Reports Of GM1000 5" Coil Touch Sensitivity

It will false if the hose ( cable ) touches something , that moves the wiring, which is a movement of a metal object in the coils field. The detector is a motion detector as they are. Is that what this falsing is about? I am sorry I am not having this problem, maybe I am lucky with mine, but if the coil cable is moved so close to the coil I believe naturally it would be a problem on such a sensitive detector.

Tend to agree with you Norvic.  I gave the larger coil a run this evening and no issues.  Have the cable taped but with enough flex to adjust the coil angle. 

Hoggy, if my cable moves it does make a noise - as Norvic said it is wire moving near the coil. What I don't have any of is coil touch sensitivity.  If I really knock it against a rock it will make a noise but generally it will lightly scrape across rocks, grass, tussocks, etc, without a prob. 

Maybe we need to meet up and compare machines, swap coils, etc, before you worry about sending things back again?   

Cheers. 

Bhogg

That's the pits you think by getting a new one it will fix your problem. Sometime back the same thing happen to me by one of white's distributor and sending one that had the same trouble as the one I had. Their heart was in the right place but they didn't know all the trouble we were having.

I'm sure Minelab will get it fixed for all of us but it will take time. When I send it in I say keep it as long as needed. Now if they want to loan me a 7000 until they get my 1000 fixed that's okay. I'll eat humble pie and take it.

Till then

Chuck

Hi Northeast and Norvic 

It's very hard for minelab to foresee an issue that they or testers didn't have,  let's face it minelab are the detector most of the serious gold detectorist are going to or are using without a doubt !  and there's obviously a reason behind that. 

I'm certainly not unhappy with the detector that's for sure, and I know lots either on this forum or others have said either people are not securing them to the shaft correctly or similar things to why people think it's giving false sounds or signals.

But at the end of the day there is a issue in the first place if people have to do this to there detector to stop this issue I personally believe, as I don't believe any detector is made to make sounds or signals if bumped on the coil or coil cable surly True or false? And this was my only issue. 

And the only reason I usually strap the coil cable to the shaft of any detector I've owned is to stop the cable getting caught up on twigs and other objects.

The first GM1000 detector sounded off with the slightest tap or touch on either the coil or coil cable strapped to the shaft or not strapped to it and I tried it strapped a few different ways, and the bit of hose I've got over the cable where it joins the coil was the help keep it stiff to help it to not move around as much to help it stop falsing as much and it has helped a bit for sure! 

Yeah, this is the first detector I've owned that the cable doesn't go up the middle of the shaft so it's new territory for me. 

I did think it was standard procedure to secure the cable on any detector as it is metal and if it moves the coil picks it up?  But I'm only guessing :rolleyes:

Falsing coils is a different kettle of fish I assume and is related to something else. I hope you're keeping up with my brilliance :biggrin::biggrin:.  Obviously the coil shouldn't false when touched against grass, etc as some people are finding.  

I reckon it would be interesting to put your coil on my machine and vice versa.  I think we are all thinking it is a coil issue. But that would mean you have had 4 dud coils. Maybe it's actually a detector issue?  

2 hours ago, Bhogg said:

But at the end of the day there is a issue in the first place if people have to do this to there detector to stop this issue I personally believe, as I don't believe any detector is made to make sounds or signals if bumped on the coil or coil cable surly True or false? And this was my only issue. 

All detectors with any sensitivity at all pick up their own cables if they are moved in relation to the coil. They are not purposefully made this way - it is just the way it is. They are metal detectors and the cable has metal in it. If you have loose cable near the coil and it moves - false signal. If you are moving the cable and causing false signals and thinking that needs to get fixed... not going to happen.

It is such old school knowledge to affix a coil cable securely that I actually forget that maybe people don't know about it.

Coil knock sensitivity - not so much but not uncommon in high gain detectors if you bang them around. My Gold Racer coil will false if sensitivity is jacked to the max and I knock it on rocks.

Knock sensitivity is only an issue if your cable is secured properly and you are metal detecting normally and having issues. If people are intentially trying to induce false signals and making them occur - well, now we have a different problem.

This can be a "touchy" subject , and I'm certainly not "knocking" minelab in anyway at all!.

In fact there great there made in Aussie mate!.

I see there now finding gold up in the gum tree's yes in the gum leaves.

I'm still "tapping" into the gold side of detecting and just love being "cable" to swing a "coil" and find something every now and then with these very "sensitivitie" machine,  hopefully one day we'll all find some "Monster Gold" or even just "1000" little bit would be great.

Thank's Everyone for your advice and tips. 

Hopefully I'll get the hang of my detector one day!  Perhaps then more gold will come my way! And hopefully before I'm old and gray!.

And may all your gold be in the bottom of your hole.

Copyright :  Bhogg

Sent From  :  Bat Phone 

The only thing I know for sure is when Minelab gets my GM is I hope they fix it the first time around. Now if they don't I'll just send it back again. If it happens again I'm not going to get mad but we may get to know each other on a first name before it's over with.

It's a cost Minelab is having to pay just with shippng both ways.I'm going to stop any second guess on electronics I know nothing about. 

So if you ask me about the weather I will reply.

Thanks 

Chuck

Hi Steve

Hi mate have you got a photo by any chance of how you've got it setup? I'm guessing it starts off straight then and coils around towards the top half?. 

And how have you been going with it mate been having any luck? It's certainly a great lightweight machine good on the back and upper body that's for sure.