So back in January on an ice-fishing adventure I hooked into a whale of a trout, so big that when my wife took her phone out to snap a picture, he shook the ice and down the hole went the new phone. We tried bobbing for it with a strong magnet and more holes, to no avail (although it did ring when I called it one more time before the battery died from the cold). Turns out there we several hundred pictures on the extra SD card that weren't backed up, so I'm going to take the plunge. That part of the lake is only about 12 ft deep (per fish and game's mapping), and we marked an approximate gps location. The water aint getting warmer, and my neighbor had a dry-suit to borrow. ATX is cleared to 10 feet, so with the 4 ft or so of extension i should be able to stay above. Luckily my lovely lady will be waiting above in the kayak, anchored down while I use a tether to slowly spiral outwards. Anybody done this before or got suggestions? (Yes, I've considered that the card might be shot anyways, just holding out for a little hope ?)

You'd be surprised at the number of electronics that you find underwater that can be dried out and powered up. A guy I've dived with found a phone on the bottom of a freshwater lake in about 30' of water, it had some surface rust and had apparently been down there for quite some time, before he even dried it off it powered up. Best of luck - cold water generally means good viz as long as the bottom isn't a bunch of loose sediment! 

Yep, and that's exactly what happened Steve. I tried with and without flippers. With and without the detector. Couldn't seem to get more than 30-40 seconds on the bottom before it engulfed me. And even though I got some good hits, I couldnt even get my hands into the sludge deep or quick enough to find what they were...